• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Again.,,BS. It was only "embarrassing" IF he were cut before next seasons first week of new league year. The guarantees at that point exceeds those of his NYJ contract. And the overall guarantee payment and gross earnings in first 3 seasons was much greater.
    The guaranty was $10 million, which was very much on the low end. Players get seriously injured in preseason games and training camp often enough.

Why take the risk if you don't have to?

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

I want to thank Melvin Gordon for giving us some drama to read about and debate on this forum in the dead days before camp starts. This is normally the most boring time of year football-wise. Thank you MGIII. Now end your hold out, come into camp, have an MVP-caliber year playing out your rookie contract while building up your value in preparation for free agency in 2020, and let's win a Superbowl.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
        Day One...
        • Mar 2019
        • Brentwood, 94513
        • Send PM

The front office should tell Gordon that they will explore the best option for him and the team. Then see what other teams want for him. If they can't find value in a trade, then pay Gordon.

I dont think hes he's the best back out there, but he is good. He's maturation to get to this point is what you'd like to see in a player. Since he wasn't balls out from the start, he needs to understand that. Then again, you have to get it when you can. It's the nature of the beast.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I don't think the team can afford to pay Gordon what he wants.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Negotiating isn't about starting off at the level you think your worth & then make concessions downward.

Bell's stunt wasn't worth it only if...

1. you assume he made it through the season in fair health
            2. teams didn't reduce their offers due to the additional wear & tear of one more season.
            3. a year off doesn't increase the longevity of a running back.
            Last edited by powderblueboy; 07-14-2019, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

He's negotiating, i don't know what he would finally accept.

What i'd expect is that the Chargers hold firm & Gordon misses a few games and then returns. Gordon doesn't want to be franchise tagged after that - maybe informally the Chargers concede in private on that matter.

Gordon isn't a top 3 back but he makes a big difference to the Chargers. Although I like the other Charger backs, their production will go way down if they get heavy minutes. Ekeler bombed out against Pittsburgh when he was the featured back. Every time when the Chargers are on on the cusp, like clockwork, something like this happens.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                I don't think the team can afford to pay Gordon what he wants.
                Exactly.
                Come down, Melvin.
                'Nuff said.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  In reference to his contract standoff with the Chargers, Melvin Gordon said, "You can't just replace a great back."

To illustrate his point, Gordon pointed out how the Cowboys were a "completely different team" when Ezekiel Elliott was suspended in 2017. Gordon went on to call running back the next-most important position behind quarterback and feels he and other top ball-carriers "should get paid as such." The 2015 first-rounder has threatened to hold out into the regular season if his contract demands aren't met, though Gordon has also said he hopes to "end up with the Chargers." The two-time Pro Bowler could very well be bluffing, but if he's not, committee backs Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson would both be in line for much bigger workloads.
                  There is some truth to what MG says. If a team has no depth, then they are screwed when their featured RB is out. The Cowboys really don't have anyone behind Ellliott, and they are completely screwed without him. The Cowboys have no depth behind Elliott. Elliott is also a much better back than Gordon. He is more explosive, powerful and durable. He is just as good, if not better receiver. And the Cowboys have many fewer weapons. Last year they were missing Witten, who has been in steady decline since Elliott was drafted. , The Cowboys have lacked a true #1 or #2 since Elliott was until the Cooper trade, and they are still searching for a #2 WR.

The problem for MG is that when he (MG) goes down,we have some depth. JJ and DN both showed some ability. Ekeler is one of the most explosive change of pace and 3rd down players in the NFL. Having MG not available is not as big a drop off as Elliott and the Cowboys. We have a lot of offensive weapons, so we are just not as dependant as the Cowboys with Elliott. Hunter Henry, Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Ekeler is a great change of pace (and potential slot guy), and a lot of promise at the other WR positions as well as two other promising runners in DN and JJ.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

There is some truth to what MG says. If a team has no depth, then they are screwed when their featured RB is out. The Cowboys really don't have anyone behind Ellliott, and they are completely screwed without him. The Cowboys have no depth behind Elliott. Elliott is also a much better back than Gordon. He is more explosive, powerful and durable. He is just as good, if not better receiver. And the Cowboys have many fewer weapons. Last year they were missing Witten, who has been in steady decline since Elliott was drafted. , The Cowboys have lacked a true #1 or #2 since Elliott was until the Cooper trade, and they are still searching for a #2 WR.

The problem for MG is that when he (MG) goes down,we have some depth. JJ and DN both showed some ability. Ekeler is one of the most explosive change of pace and 3rd down players in the NFL. Having MG not available is not as big a drop off as Elliott and the Cowboys. We have a lot of offensive weapons, so we are just not as dependant as the Cowboys with Elliott. Hunter Henry, Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Ekeler is a great change of pace (and potential slot guy), and a lot of promise at the other WR positions as well as two other promising runners in DN and JJ.
                    Especially since Dak is their QB. lol Honestly had i known that MG would be potentially sitting out...or if i had no intention of signing him long term...i might have looked at some of the RBs available in the 3rd and 4th rounds this past draft. Steelers. Pats. Ravens. Rams. Teams with decent stables of RBs all dipped there. Im trying to figure out what Telesco's mindset here is. He may have thought they had MG willing to accept their offers? He may think what we have is sufficient. And it may be. We will have to see what happens with MG out. I really liked Jackson in college. He isnt a huge back. Can he last behind this OL?

I actually though a few of the RBs taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds this draft were good value. Singletary. Snell. Harris. Mongtomery.

Honestly really like next years crop of potential RBs. I do tend to think if this was Rivers last year we may make the attempt to sign Gordon. But i think Rivers stays on a few more. 2 at least. and we let Gordon walk. Again it would be nice to have MG this year. But if we dont make the SB and we are able to sign most of our other studs long term we will be fine. Im more concerned about replacing Rivers long term than i am Gordon.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I laugh at his stance. Boys also had several line injuries that season. They also lack a QB that can win throwing the ball.

Hey MGIII ... Explain the production of Conner and off the street FA Williams for KC down the stretch and playoffs. Easily Replaced 2 of the top backs production at a fraction of the cost. One guy was an emergency pick up. If u think rb is the second most important position u are in for a COLD dose of reality. Second most important...GTFOH!
                      Last edited by Panamamike; 07-14-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Especially since Dak is their QB. lol Honestly had i known that MG would be potentially sitting out...or if i had no intention of signing him long term...i might have looked at some the RBs available in the 3rd and 4th rounds this past draft. Steelers. Pats. Ravens. Rams. Teams with decent stables of RBs all dipped there. Im trying to figure out what Telesco's mindset here is. He may have thought they had MG willing to accept their offers? He may think what we have is sufficient. And it may be. We will have to see what happens with MG out. I really liked Jackson in college. He isnt a huge back. Can he last behind this OL?
                        To me this crop of RB was very weak. not sure you get any better than what we have. Next year is a really good rb draft.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

To me this crop of RB was very weak. not sure you get any better than what we have. Next year is a really good rb draft.
                          I thought they were good value where they were drafted. We could see a few 1st round RBs next year. In a perfect world we get a late 1st for MG. I know it wont happen. You dont need to remind me of that. lol. Then package 2 1st's and a 2021 1st to move up to get the QB of the future. If that QB is there.

Im sweating the post Rivers era more than i am the post Gordon era.

Comment

Working...
                          X