• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    yeah, I hear you about Melvin Gordon making more in one season then most of us will see in a lifetime. But as you know. They live in a different world, and to them it's about respect as much as the money. Gurley got paid. David Johnson got paid. Le'Veon Bell got paid. From Gordon's perspective, I can see where it would be a matter of self-respect or lack thereof to accept significantly less money then your peers or talent that is inferior to yours.
    They have all been all-pro; some several years. Rushing titles. Multiple top end seasons. Gordon still has a year left on his rookie deal and has had 1 top ten season. One season over 4 ypc. Not top seasons...1 top 10. I fail to see this as an equitable comparison. Now had he shut his trap and had another top end season he would have a better case. He could hold out if tagged or hit the open market.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It's in the best interest of the Charger organization to have him play this year, franchise tag him next year, & then let him walk. That's what they want to do. People here want to trade Gordon, but the Chargers won't get much for him in return. A quality starting offensive linemen - come on! Gordon rightly doesn't want to sit back and let this play out. His leverage with the Chargers is at it's highest right now - the Chargers are unprepared to lose him. If the 'honorable' path was taken by Gordon, the Chargers would have returned his good faith by drafting a running back high in the NFL draft next year.

Let's not be naive about the process and the cold blooded nature of the business.
      They dont lose him. He hasn't accrued enough time yet to have much control. He can sit until week 10, thats it. I would pay him second tier money and that is based on his last year performance. He doesn't have the resume for top tier money, has 3 knee injuries and missed 3-4 games in all but one year.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I have a question for everyone.

Since he is "under contract" can he sit out the year and be a FA? Will he get credit for the season or still be under the same 5th year option?
        Does he have to play the last 3rd of the season to end his contract?
        No he can not. He has until week 10 to show up or he does not get credit for the season. I doubt he can financially afford the fines and no income over that time given he has not had a huge bank year (in relative terms).

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I'm unclear about this also
          I also think that we need MG this year if we're going to have a reasonable chance at a superbowl run
          fourtunately I don't think he'll actually sit-out, just demand a trade, which, if im Telesco I'm more than happy to oblige--in the off-season
          Can't trade next year he'll be an UFA unless we tag him.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            9ers might be desperate for a legit number 1 rb
            2020 first round pick?
            No way do they get a first rd pick IMO. No team is giving up a first AND signing him to a big extension

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Can't trade next year he'll be an UFA unless we tag him.
              Tag then trade when/if he doesn't sign . Same as what has happened to many before.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

We need MGIII to be legit super bowl contenders. Lynn wants to run the ball.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

No way do they get a first rd pick IMO. No team is giving up a first AND signing him to a big extension
                  Then trade him for Tevin Coleman?

Comment

• Blue Thunder
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Arlington, TX
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    Have no issue with Gordon trying to leverage a new contract.
                    Have no issue with Chargers having an amount they will do and not more than.

Having said that, RB is not a premium position in modern NFL and should not be paid premium money.
                    Gordon's value for Chargers is now as a trade asset to acquire a player and or pick.

If Chargers do pay him a big bag, then they are out of pace with the modern NFL and will regret the expenditure.

Trade him.
                    I agree with all of this. Gordon and the Chargers are most likely too far apart in their negotiations. Gordon wants to get what he can while his services are still in demand and the Chargers should act accordingly by getting what they can in a trade and moving on.

In an ideal world, Gordon and the Chargers would reach an agreement for this season and he would be on the field in Powder Blue in 2019 and everyone would be happy. I just don't think it's possible at this point. Melvin won't sign for 2019 only and the Chargers won't offer a multi-year extention at a price acceptable to Gordon.

I could see Gordon producing at a starting level for a couple of more years, but then his production will decline (probably rather quickly) and he will more than likely be out of the league by the time he is 30. That is not worth Top-5 RB money to the Chargers. Especially with all of the other contracts coming due right around the corner.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                      We need MGIII to be legit super bowl contenders. Lynn wants to run the ball.
                      So u want to screw our cap and future signings for 1 season by overpaying a position that is not a premium position in todays game? Good backs are a dime a dozen. I am sure the bolts would love to keep him, but not at top tier money. he hasnt earned it yet or been durable enough IMO.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post

I agree with all of this. Gordon and the Chargers are most likely too far apart in their negotiations. Gordon wants to get what he can while his services are still in demand and the Chargers should act accordingly by getting what they can in a trade and moving on.

In an ideal world, Gordon and the Chargers would reach an agreement for this season and he would be on the field in Powder Blue in 2019 and everyone would be happy. I just don't think it's possible at this point. Melvin won't sign for 2019 only and the Chargers won't offer a multi-year extention at a price acceptable to Gordon.

I could see Gordon producing at a starting level for a couple of more years, but then his production will decline (probably rather quickly) and he will more than likely be out of the league by the time he is 30. That is not worth Top-5 RB money to the Chargers. Especially with all of the other contracts coming due right around the corner.
                        Won't sign for 2019? He is already under contract. That issue would arise next season if tagged.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

So u want to screw our cap and future signings for 1 season by overpaying a position that is not a premium position in todays game? Good backs are a dime a dozen. I am sure the bolts would love to keep him, but not at top tier money. he hasnt earned it yet or been durable enough IMO.
                          What if we raised his salary just this year? Say add another 3.5. Pay him 9 for the season. He moves on next year?

Comment

Working...
                          X