Underrated Players - Desmond King (and Tyrell Williams)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah it should. Who did they go to later in the year? It was MWill. Mike had more receptions and twice the TDs.
    Anyone who don't think Mike's ceiling isn't far higher than Tyrell is high imo.
    I'm high and I agree with you.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I'm high and I agree with you.
      Lol, ....I am a Tyrell fan but Mike is only going into his 3rd season missing basically all his first and has made big strides. He is only going to get better and to me it's easy to see he is ahead of Tyrell in overall talent. When MWill comes up for contract renewal, they will keep him.
      Bottom line is Tyrell wasn't worth giving a huge contract and most here didn't want to give him one though i did really want to keep him but not for over 40 mil.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

IMO, they should have kept Twill and let Benjamin walk. To those who are saying we have the best receiver group in the league I ask - who you got after Allen and Mwill? I think we have a lot of $$ after those two. Can you be the best receiving group with just two?
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          IMO, they should have kept Twill and let Benjamin walk. To those who are saying we have the best receiver group in the league I ask - who you got after Allen and Mwill? I think we have a lot of $$ after those two. Can you be the best receiving group with just two?
          I would include Henry in the receiving group but you're right. We are weaker without TyWill. Benjamin has had some real success in the league just not so much on our team. Hope he can stay healthy and give us a legit downfield threat

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

I wonder how good Tyrell could have been had he been lucky enough to land a scholarship to Clemson and WR whisperer Dabo, instead of bumfuck Western Oregon. And not only for the obvious coaching upgrade, but the level of competition on game days and practice. With his combo of size and speed, I feel like he could have been special.
            I don't think some fans realize what an achievement it is for an undrafted wide receiver to do what Tyrell did in his second season, after spending most of his rookie season on the practice squad. I don't think they understand that a top-10 pick like Mike Williams coming from a big-time program like Clemson, gets every opportunity to prove himself. He is signed to the regular roster, not the practice squad, and gets to work with the number one offense from the very beginning. A UDFA like Tyrell has to fight for every opportunity to prove himself. He starts with the number three offense, the number 3 quarterback in camp, and has to stand out in order to move up the depth chart. Mike Williams never had to do that. Even after his disappointing rookie season, in his second season he gets to work with the number one offense. However, he was never able to push Tyrell out of the number two spot on the depth chart. He played fewer snaps than Tyrell in 2018. An undrafted rookie like Tyrell has to learn to play through pain. I'm sure Tyrell has been banged up, but he still started every game after Keenan went down in 2016. He didn't have the luxury of being a high draft pick, who can afford to sit out half a season to nurse his injuries knowing he still going to get every opportunity when he returns. Tyrell had to prove himself, and he did. In his first game action he took a pass 80 yards to the house. Compare that to what Mike Williams did in his rookie season. That doesn't mean Mike Williams doesn't have a really high ceiling, but his path in the NFL has been much easier than Tyrell's. If the roles were reversed and Mike Williams went to Western Oregon and came into the league as a udfa, I'm not sure he could have done what Tyrell has accomplished.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Don't forget to compare availability. And we won't know this until their careers are done.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Iowachargers
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Dow City, Iowa
                • Send PM

Need to rename this thread. Thought it was about Desmond King?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

I don't think some fans realize what an achievement it is for an undrafted wide receiver to do what Tyrell did in his second season, after spending most of his rookie season on the practice squad. I don't think they understand that a top-10 pick like Mike Williams coming from a big-time program like Clemson, gets every opportunity to prove himself. He is signed to the regular roster, not the practice squad, and gets to work with the number one offense from the very beginning. A UDFA like Tyrell has to fight for every opportunity to prove himself. He starts with the number three offense, the number 3 quarterback in camp, and has to stand out in order to move up the depth chart. Mike Williams never had to do that. Even after his disappointing rookie season, in his second season he gets to work with the number one offense. However, he was never able to push Tyrell out of the number two spot on the depth chart. He played fewer snaps than Tyrell in 2018. An undrafted rookie like Tyrell has to learn to play through pain. I'm sure Tyrell has been banged up, but he still started every game after Keenan went down in 2016. He didn't have the luxury of being a high draft pick, who can afford to sit out half a season to nurse his injuries knowing he still going to get every opportunity when he returns. Tyrell had to prove himself, and he did. In his first game action he took a pass 80 yards to the house. Compare that to what Mike Williams did in his rookie season. That doesn't mean Mike Williams doesn't have a really high ceiling, but his path in the NFL has been much easier than Tyrell's. If the roles were reversed and Mike Williams went to Western Oregon and came into the league as a udfa, I'm not sure he could have done what Tyrell has accomplished.
                  Yes well if I was born to rich parents instead of the common blue collar type, i wouldn't have had to work so hard either and needed to have knee replacements,.... and I'd be more popular with women even if I had the face of Lil Wayne :shrug:

In other words, dem the breaks man!

​​​​​​No matter the circumstances, MW still has more upside than TW and MW did more with less snaps and has Philips trust. He is gonna ball for us this season!

Clearly you are a big fan of Tyrell and that's cool, I was a fan too but I didn't want to give him more than 28 mill and he got 44. Had to move on.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-01-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Iowachargers View Post
                    Need to rename this thread. Thought it was about Desmond King?
                    It got totally hijacked.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Letting Benjamin walk only gets you about half way to what T. Williams is making. You still need several million more, so at least 1, probably 2 more useful players cut. It also means several other holes are not plugged. Long term, with so many other players on the roster coming up, the math just doesn't work out.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Lol, we're so messing up Chris's forum. It's the off-season, we'll be better once TC and the regular season rolls around.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Keeping Twill would have meant shelling out big bucks for a player in a position where we are still deep, even losing him. Benji still has a year left on his deal. I'm guessing after this season is over, they let Benji walk and promote who's tops among Cantrell, Davis and Scott. Need to save $$$ to re-sign Bosa and others...

Comment

Working...
                          X