• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
    There is not a single WR on the team that takes the top off the defense. For a guy like Rivers, he needs legit deep threat speed. Its a much bigger issue than o line.
    Totally agree. Solid take.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      There is not a single WR on the team that takes the top off the defense. For a guy like Rivers, he needs legit deep threat speed. Its a much bigger issue than o line.
      I was making that point before we faced KC. Losing Ty Will hurt a lot.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

Brutal. Similar stats show he struggles in 1 possession situations:

Point Situation Att Comp Pct Yds Avg Lng TD Int 1st 1st% 20+ Sck Rate
        Behind 227 137 60.4 1,509 6.6 50 8 9 81 35.7 17 7 75.3
        Behind by 1-8 Points 124 65 52.4 784 6.3 50 3 7 39 31.5 10 5 56.7
        Behind by 9-16 Points 56 43 76.8 439 7.8 41 4 1 26 46.4 4 1 115.1

Losing TW hurt. Could the Chargers have traded for a WR like other aggressive teams? Would be nice to have Sanu, but no way the Chargers part with a 2nd, and no way Broncos would trade E.Sanders to a division rival. Maybe Demarius Thomas from the Patriots? Jets gave up a 6th and he's been productive for them.
        Even if we had Twill, I don't think it would have helped PR all that much. He would still be heaving the rock downfield instead of looking for the short open receiver...

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Even if we had Twill, I don't think it would have helped PR all that much. He would still be heaving the rock downfield instead of looking for the short open receiver...
          I think we under estimate what Twill was able to do we didn't need him to be the number 1 or number 2, but I think that he would put more pressure on the D with his speed so he would be able to draw a safeties attention opening up the field a little bit we need that badly all our long passes have been jump balls to Mike Williams teams play him tighter because they know he isn't going to beat him with speed, or quick release, Mike Williams doesn't get a lot of separation but he does come down with some tough catches, just having a speed reciever who can catch the ball would help Rivers, and open up things more for Allen who can beat almost in CB, and draw attention away from Mike Williams, then instead of MW out jumping a corner and safety he only is out jumping one of them.

The last thing it is hard enough for Rivers to go deep with the protection(lack of) he is getting, I recall those quick little slants to TWill last year a 7 yard slant turning to 10-15 yards he was the only reciever that wa able to run away from the defenders, Benjamin could do this but his lack of hands and scared to get hit is bad 50/50 and we didn't even get that from him I think Benji dropped 80% of the passes thrown his way before going on IR

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

a speedy WR on the team wouldnt do much in the bomb dept. besides a bad Oline doesnt afford a long pass to develop. the shallow crossers are good but rivers doesnt have the arm strength to lead a speedy WR streaking down the sideline. I've seen way too many bombs that were short and the WR had to slow down and allow the defender to catch up. sure lots were completed but if the WRs were led properly a lot of those bombs would've become TDs. rivers money ball are short to medium range and he needs to live in that zone for the rest of the season if he wants to end up with less INTs than TDs.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
              a speedy WR on the team wouldnt do much in the bomb dept. besides a bad Oline doesnt afford a long pass to develop. the shallow crossers are good but rivers doesnt have the arm strength to lead a speedy WR streaking down the sideline. I've seen way too many bombs that were short and the WR had to slow down and allow the defender to catch up. sure lots were completed but if the WRs were led properly a lot of those bombs would've become TDs. rivers money ball are short to medium range and he needs to live in that zone for the rest of the season if he wants to end up with less INTs than TDs.
              good point

it baffles me why Rivers chooses to throw bomb when Ekeler/Henry are wide open for 10-15 yrd gains. Thats rookie mistakes.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

I think we under estimate what Twill was able to do we didn't need him to be the number 1 or number 2, but I think that he would put more pressure on the D with his speed so he would be able to draw a safeties attention opening up the field a little bit we need that badly all our long passes have been jump balls to Mike Williams teams play him tighter because they know he isn't going to beat him with speed, or quick release, Mike Williams doesn't get a lot of separation but he does come down with some tough catches, just having a speed reciever who can catch the ball would help Rivers, and open up things more for Allen who can beat almost in CB, and draw attention away from Mike Williams, then instead of MW out jumping a corner and safety he only is out jumping one of them.

The last thing it is hard enough for Rivers to go deep with the protection(lack of) he is getting, I recall those quick little slants to TWill last year a 7 yard slant turning to 10-15 yards he was the only reciever that wa able to run away from the defenders, Benjamin could do this but his lack of hands and scared to get hit is bad 50/50 and we didn't even get that from him I think Benji dropped 80% of the passes thrown his way before going on IR
                I’ll admit I completely under estimated and under-appreciated Twill and his departure. When I’m wrong I’m wrong. I apologize. But hey - I knew TBen sucks and will always suck, so at least i had half of it right. But i assumed Phil and Co could just manufacture another Twill v2 like they did before him, and before him and before him. Nobody appeared and TBen sucked even more than his usual suck.

Thats not an excuse for Phil. Phil has cost the team games. I count 4 losses on his shoulders, but its arguably more. Phil would always cost maybe 1-2 games in a full 16 GM season, but he’d also win more. This year he’s played at an unacceptable level and OL is not an excuse for making horrible non-pro mistakes over and over. Thats the life of every NFL QB and QBs that panic and turn it over in fear of pressure do not start in this league

I want him to finish it out, and retire. I too hope they lose out as they need the next chapter under center
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

good point

it baffles me why Rivers chooses to throw bomb when Ekeler/Henry are wide open for 10-15 yrd gains. Thats rookie mistakes.
                  I'm convinced Rivers is addicted to the long ball...and I'm not joking, either...I think he has gotten such a thrill from the occasional TD bomb, that he tries to duplicate this frequently, thinks he can do it, but usually fails, ending in an incomplete or a pick...all of this instead, as has been pointed out by many, taking what the D gives you and finding the short man open and dinking his way to victory...but no, Rivers would rather go for the Hero Ball home run instead of several short pass singles...

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Ontario , Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I was making that point before we faced KC. Losing Ty Will hurt a lot.
                    Yes. Travis Benjamin too Maybe even Dontrel Inman who avgs ~ 17 ypr. We only had MW and he is not a 4.4 guy.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Totally looking forward to five more games of Rivers to the other team.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        Totally looking forward to five more games of Rivers to the other team.
                        Totally looking forward to pages and pages and pages of Rivers bashing.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                          Pretty much retired......
                          • Sep 2018
                          • JoJa
                          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Totally looking forward to pages and pages and pages of Rivers bashing.
                          To thrash or to bash......THAT is the question......

Comment

Working...
                          X