• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pacstud
    Black Belt Poster
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
    Ok. If thread topic is your concern. I'll oblige.

Don't think it has to be separated into 4 different threads. Just one will do.
    Im thinking the title can be.....Thoughts about this Franchise; Past, Present and Future.

I like Critty. I put milk in my cheerios. All better now.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Tua has at least an 80% chance to successfully resume a long playing career after disclocating his hip and fracturing his posterior wall of his acetabulum.
      Thank god for modern medicine and the excellent work of the doctors or he would have zero chance.

Of course if doctors say they expect a full recovery. Then that has to mean 100% that he will resume a long playing career. Right? Thats what your telling me. Pay no attention to actually recovery rates for this injury. Wu-Dai, the doctors statement is all you need to know. Tua is 100.
      I'd easily take that risk: 80% chance of having a top flight NFL quarterback for the next 10 years - sounds good to me.

The problem is that i'm not GM; if i was, i'd become fearful of losing my job and start hedging everything to the hilt.

Why take a 70 - 80% chance when you can get your LT of the future?

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post
        Brees was nothing special until Sean Peyton made him special, rolling the little QB out of the pocket to see better (a move Pete Carroll stole for little Russell Wilson).

Chargers didn't have Sean Peyton on their staff.

Had we had Bill Bellicheat the past 20 years I feel we'd have a couple to several rings with Rivers and company.
        Brees was a two time pro bowler by the time he left the San Diego Chargers.

He was still a young qb. Healthy, he would have broke the bank signing him.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

From this, that does not follow.

I have no problem with your rants and "what if?" meanderings.
          I have no problem with your omniscience, god damn you're good.
          I have no problem with revisionism, ponderings, musings.

Just start a fucking thread.

Start a Marty thread.
          Start an AJ thread.
          Start a Brees thread.
          Start a Spanos thread.

What happens if we start Tyrod? Well watch the fucking Bills games. He's a game manager with severe ceilings in the passing game. Not too tough a code to crack.

Critty, I love you. You are genuinely one of my favorite posters and know your stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving!
          I forgot to mention this was bit snarky.
          The I have no problem with your, insert snarky attack comment.
          Come on man. On Thanksgiving.
          But I got to fire back..

Pac, I love you and have no problem with your constant condescension and arrogant takes.
          Ya dig.

Gobble. Gobble.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Nothing, because he would have not won anything here under this ownership group and the garbage coaches they have been trotting out.
            Brees has won 1 SB,and really, i'd take that happily for Rivers and our fans but for all of Brees accolades and records, the Saints franchise hasn't don't much more than ours.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-28-2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

I like Critty. I put milk in my cheerios. All better now.
              His rants are too long. I get bored and stop reading a third of the way thru. I hope his most important points are at the top.

Didn’t Wade get a HC gig at Dallas and thats why they had to hire a new DC and selected Ted Cover Who? Not saying Ted was good, he was awful. But its not like the Chargers dumping Wade. Can’t stop a coordinator from getting a HC gig elsewhere. He flamed out in Dallas too, for the record and the several who wanted him to be HC here.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Let’s all be real here. Had Tyrod started since week 1, and the playbook tailored to his strengths and abilities, I doubt our record would be 4-7. I agree he wouldn’t and can’t make some of the throws Rivers does, but he also wouldn’t throw as many games away.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post
                  ... but he also wouldn’t throw as many games away.
                  And this is it. It's not like our D has been horrendous...it's more that the O has been horrendous and the qb giving the other team points. in most, if not all the losses, if they had a game manager it woulda been wins.

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

A new stadium rental home and have Tyrod Taylor hesitant on every passing down and scramble for 3 yards? You really want that as a change up to Rivers for the sake of change? The Spaons' MO from day one has them not doing that. They're not going to freaking debut in a new rental stadium and have Tyrod Taylor lead forth. So...forget that scenario.

What they might do is get the O-line healthy again, bring in a highly touted free agent O-lineman or two and get Rivers the protection he's accustomed to.

I just don't see the Spanos' opening up their new stadium rental with any kind of QB rebuild strategy in mind. The fan base is iffy to begin with. No time to try and sell tickets and rebuild at the same time. The new stadium will be the most state of the art stadium in the history of the NFL. More grandeur than the stadium Jerry Jones built. You don't christen something like that with the likes of a Tyrod Taylor, me thinks.
                    Last edited by Caslon; 11-28-2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Thoughts, opinions, ideas, praise, complaints, credit, blame, rants, etc....

Past decisions and consequences that impacted the franchise success in a positive way or negative way

Present decisions and consequences that impact the teams future in different ways.

Future expectations and possible consequences of different decisions that are made moving forward.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.
                        4 straight AFC West titles.
                        LT was face of franchise.
                        League MVP in 2006.
                        They went 13-3 in 2009, LT final season with Bolts.

2010-2019.
                        Not a single AFC West title.
                        And only 1 season in a decade of 10+ wins in regular season. The franchise has under performed during Rivers time here. Rivers late close game one possession situational football has not been good enough to get just 1 more win to boost some of those 9-7 years to 10-6.

2010 9-7
                        2011 8-8
                        2012 7-9
                        2013 9-7
                        2014 9-7
                        2015 4-12
                        2016 5-11
                        2017 9-7
                        2018 12-4
                        2019 4-7

if my math is correct that is combined 76-79 regular season record for the last decade. No AFC West titles. That is not 1st ballot hof numbers to go with all his passing stats.

Been asking for a few season to spend a 1st on a QB.
                        As the Rivers era just could not seem to get over the hump and win the divison anymore and Rivers was closer to the end of his career than the beginning.
                        3 HCs & 2 GMs and various rosters somehow just wasnt quite the right recipe for success. Some of the more talented squads during the decade seemed to under achieve as well.

Plenty blame to go around to question the car and crew setting up the driver for success. But for me in a QB driven league. Rivers driving simply wasn't good enough. It was very very good, sometimes great and even amazing. But never consistently great. Up and down. And, IMO, it was sometimes spastic and out of control.

It is what it is.
                        You are what your record says you are.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

It is just so frustrating seeing how the team is managed.

I appreciate Rivers. I think he is a baller.
                          My only criticism of him his entire career has been a few too many careless throws and turnovers, and too little mobility. But I did feel he could win Superbowls. I complained often he needed a reliable kicker because he had been burnt by missed FG that stopped a playoff run.

Then a couple season ago. I thought its time to get a new QB for the future. With the move to LA, I thought it was even more important to get a new face of the franchise.

I absolutely wanted Lamar Jackson.
                          No hindsight at all. I stated he will be a nightmare to defend. He will score 40TDs a year. That he can throw for 3500 and run for 1500. Of course traditional thinkers let me know I was wrong. And even those who thought I may be right would say it can't last. He will get hurt playing that way. And that is still possible.

I argued that he has played that way his entire college career and he seems to be able to avoid the big hit. And even if he only can do it in NFL for 8-10 season before he wears out. And misses some games because of injury. I'm good. I will take that.

Chargers are just so conservative.
                          And Deno seems like if his dad did not give him a football team, the best he could be is a manager at a Denny's. The man fired a 14-2 HC because he needed the GM & HC to be besties.
                          The man couldn't sell out a stadium and need ticket guarantee in SD. The man could not find a way to build a stadium himself. From dad giving him the team, city giving him ticket guarantee, to Kronke giving him a new stadium to play in. What has he earned on his own. Actually, im going to pile on.....i dont think he could even earn a manager job at Denny's unless someone gave him the job.

How in the world does he and his entire front office not see the great opportunity of Lamar Jackson. The excitement, the electric play, the jersey sales. And say we have to draft this kid.

On TV the pundits are saying nobody saw this coming, nobody thought Lamar could so this.

I am that nobody. And I am frustrated that the front office didn't have a single nobody demanding Jackson be drafted.

Problem is....the people on his staff who demand things from the Spanos or insist they do things a different way......get fired. And I'm not just talking about HCs. A consultant gave him advice about team and stadium and he dismissed it saying that is not how he works... the consultant doubled down and insisted Dean change.... that consultant was immediately fired. (See: 2015 Union Tribune article Dean Spanos. Front Man behind the scenes.)

Just so frustrating and disappointing.

I don't think they have the guts to go get Joe Burrow, whatever the price. They will settle. They won't change. They will hope to get lucky. And one day they will fire Telesco and promote John Spanos to GM. Only thing stopping that future of young Spanos as GM is if they decide to sell the franchise.
                          Perhaps John will figure out how to build a Champion and be willing to do thinga much differently than his dad. But im not expecting it. Im expecting more of the same. Just not good enough, and did not earn it, it was given via nepotism. And the opportunity for championship will be squandered again and again and again.

Please football Gods, can you somehow, someway have them sell at least majority ownership to someone else....maybe Brees & LeBron can parnter up with other investors and buy the team in 2024.
                          Please football Gods, do something. Fix this.

Comment

Working...
                          X