• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Okay, here's another one. Earlier in the game, Rivers had KA (yellow) wide open in the flats for some nice YAC...but no--he forces to rock into coverage for a pick-6. Instead of settling for a nice single, Rivers keeps playing "hero ball" and going for the home run...even if HH doesn't fall down, that's still pretty tight coverage by Harris--and the play would have probably been broken up or a possible pick anyway. The main point is, Rivers has a bad habit of forcing the rock into coverage, when he has an open man short...

image.png
    I'd say if Henry doesn't fall down he catches the ball in front of him. Your pic stills don't tell the whole story and that is a throw he made as he was making his break as he does....and many QBs do often by throwing to where the receiver is supposed to be.

Rivers made some bad decisions no doubt but if Henry don't fall that's a completed pass.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'd say if Henry doesn't fall down he catches the ball in front of him. Your pic stills don't tell the whole story and that is a throw he made as he was making his break as he does....and many QBs do often by throwing to where the receiver is supposed to be.

Rivers made some bad decisions no doubt but if Henry don't fall that's a completed pass.
      Okay, let's say it's a 50-50 chance--Harris is playing HH pretty tight there--I think it's a poor risk of a throw, especially when he had KA much more open...

Comment

• PMR9FAN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Correct and you can likely deduct 7 points from the Raiders and Chargers win the game ... tough to put this all on Rivers with receivers falling down and little protection.

My biggest complaint on his play yesterday was lack of a short passing attack or even some run plays on the last drive. They had three timeouts and could have mixed in a run just to keep them off balance. And if you are going long, there's this guy named Mike Williams who is one of the best 50/50 ball guys in the league ... that would have been a better choice.

If the bend but don't break Gus B defense had shown up, we wouldn't even be talking about this ...

Comment

• PMR9FAN
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Okay, let's say it's a 50-50 chance--Harris is playing HH pretty tight there--I think it's a poor risk of a throw, especially when he had KA much more open...
          A bit unrealistic for a QB under duress to have perfect knowledge of the field on every single play ...

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

A bit unrealistic for a QB under duress to have perfect knowledge of the field on every single play ...
            The armchair QBing just cracks me up. Scrutinize every play of every QB in the league and you'll see open guys that the QB missed in his progressions. Blame Rivers for his bad throws, but faulting him for the one where Henry fell down is pathetic.

Comment

• onthefence
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
              It's time to move on. As bad as the offensive line is, Rivers doesn't help. To start with, he's a statue with limited mobility. He also puts the offensive line at a disadvantage with the constant shifting and panicking at the last second to get the ball snapped.

Imagine having to worry about the assignment in front you of when the QB behind you is constantly distracting you with his panicky moves and compounding that with a D that knows when the ball will be snapped because you've waited to the last possible moment to snap it.

How can you have good leverage against the coming onslaught when your QB has already managed to unbalance you before the ball is even snapped?

Sure it works when there's no pressure and there's plenty of time but as soon as the pressure comes on, all hell breaks loose.

We like to say the offensive line makes Rivers play bad, that's true but that goes both ways because Rivers makes our offensive line worse.

That being said, the "Never Rivers" crew here will defend him to the end no matter what. For the record, I think our D sucks, coaching is mediocre to bad and our offensive line is bad but I also can admit that our QB will never be a great when it matters most and has been bad for the most part this season and is most likely done.

Unlike others here, I don't have an agenda other than wanting a team that can win a superbowl. That doesn't exist with what we have now, including our QB.
              There has always been a faction of charger fans that feel PR can do no wrong no matter what. You are dead on when you state the D always knows when the ball will be snapped. He has NEVER been even remotely challenged in camp because the chargers would never dare draft someone that might push him to be better. Yes he had his day with this team but after 15 years in the league he still makes to many silly mistakes, has never developed any rhythm in a two minute offense and, as you stated, just panics too much under pressure. You know darn well the owners will not go into the new stadium with a new QB. Look for more of the same old same old from this franchise.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Comment

• assman3000
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

I would hand out credit to the Raider fans supercharging their team more than blaming anyone. Though Rivers has been predictable lately. Not sure why he thinks Patton is a MW. Shouldnt have traded Ty Williams.. He would have caught those deep balls that Rivers always throws.

Last battle against their most hated rival in the black hole. They showed up big.

Congrats to the Raiders, now make us chargers look worse by losing the rest of your games..

Comment

• Protect17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Look at my sig ...I admire Rivers not ashamed to say it .The man is a leader .The Phil Rivers QB for the Chargers is done ,the man probably begged and pleaded for the Oline and More speed at Wideout to no avail .The truth hurts but he's terrible for the team as constructed .I wish him well but he's got to go .I wouldn't play him anylonger this year and try to see if a more moblle QB will work if so ...Well Teddy Bridgewater and Cam Newton come to mind or just draft one .But let's not lie to one another .Philip Rivers ,LT ,Gates are HOFErs but the Chargers just never seemed to recover after Marty to the Level he had us at .We went failed Retread and Two way over there head rookie coaches to put a nail in his coffin here .The GM of the Chargers and the spanos family squandered this QB talent for over a decade .I will always feel sorry for Phil what could have been .Time to turn the page like many
                    including the Giants have done .The future is mirky but let's go into it with eyes wide open .

Comment

• El_Tee
                      I’m No Noob
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Disney World, FL
                      • Send PM

The Henry throw, that’s not on PR. The first pick, yes. Another one in the end zone we were lucky with a flag. There was another one too.

The one at the very end? Desperation. Trying to draw a flag at worst or completion at best. Still off target. Sailed high. Bad pass.

Comment

• El_Tee
                        I’m No Noob
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Disney World, FL
                        • Send PM

This franchise better not think that Rivers = sponsors and PSLs. I mean they have him now coming off 12-4 and struggled out of the gate week 1 again.

Rivers means not much financially for revenue. He’s not a Rodgers or a Brady. He just isn’t. Fact.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

well I don't recall what down it was but if it's third down and need to get a first down, Henry is the guy to throw it to.
                          if it wasn't, it's still probably a completion if he doesn't fall down.

Rivers has thrown those type of balls hundreds of times that are completed when his reciever hasn't fallen down so to me its a non issue.

The reciever slipped and fell so the result wasn't good on that play.
                          You are trying to make something more of it than it is...which seems to be your thing with Rivers.

Comment

Working...
                          X