• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

I'm tired of the Rivers hate.

Unlike Eli, Rivers hasn't gotten blown out all that often. Has anyone seen how many times Eli's teams have been held to 0? Rivers has only been shut out once.

So Rivers plays hero ball. What about Ben? I've seen Ben play hero ball himself, and has had his own failures. I guess he gets overlooked because of the organization he plays for.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Unlike Eli, Rivers hasn't gotten blown out all that often. Has anyone seen how many times Eli's teams have been held to 0? Rivers has only been shut out once.

So Rivers plays hero ball. What about Ben? I've seen Ben play hero ball himself, and has had his own failures. I guess he gets overlooked because of the organization he plays for.
      I wonder if Packers fans were saying how they needed to warm up their backup this week when we held Rodgers to one of his worst games ever last week.

In baseball you fail two out of three times and are considered a great hitter lol

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Fitting that Eli, Ben and Rivers all bow out together.

While Brady marches on and Brees hangs in.

Comment

• SDBORN
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Interesting stat...

This is Rivers' stat line since 2006, down by 1 score with 2 mins or less left in the game. He has been in this situation more than any other QB by 55 attempts. He also has arguably the worst stat line of QBs in this situation with over 100 attempts in this situation.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Every winnable game that Rivers wasn't able to lead his team to victory his entire career has been someone else's fault from what im reading.

Sure there is blame to go around. But, In a QB driven league, the QB gets a huge share of credit/blame. And rightly so.
            Its not hate. It's love that brings out the criticism.
            When we stop caring is when it's a real problem.

This season. Lions, Broncos, Steelers, Raiders.
            Rivers has to make enough of a difference to get 2 wins in those 4 very winnable games. But he did not play well enough for 4 quarters. In fact he had a
            some very questionable decisions and turnovers. Helping to assist in the losing effort himself.
            Thats too many games for a franchise QB to be given excuses for losing games.

A better o line will help a lot. But even when Chargers have had top 5 offenses and top 5 defenses with Rivers, nothing special happened with him in the driver's seat. And often it was still others fault.

Philips isn't getting younger & he isn't getting any better than he has shown his entire career.

From 2010-2016 7 straight season Rivers was unable to get to more than 9 regular season wins in a season. His combined regular season record over that time was 51-61.
            Thats not good.

Lynn showed up and he started winning again, but a lot of that was because Lynn insisted he protect the rock better.
            He avg 11 Int per year in 16 games during 1st two seaaon with Lynn. 9-7 & 12-4.

Well this year he has 10ints already.
            Over the final 6 games he can commit 1 or 2 interceptions max. And if he does they can go 5-1 and get to 9-7. Possibly a wildcard.
            But if he tosses 6INTs over final 6 games. They will be 3-3 at best in those games.

QB driven league.

Give Belichek Trubisky. See how far he goes with that QB driving his car.
            Its a combo of car, crew & driver.

Rivers car is not great this year, so he needs to be more careful but instead he gets more reckless.
            Always has been a bit too reackless on the final lap.
            Too emotional and not posied enough.

Its like he never slows down and makes a thoughtful decision in the heat of the moment. He just goes deep and lives with the results.
            Sorta like his personal choices. :rimshot:
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• SDBORN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Fitting that Eli, Ben and Rivers all bow out together.

While Brady marches on and Brees hangs in.
              Rivers of course with no ring

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                Every winnable game that Rivers wasn't able to lead his team to victory his entire career has been someone else's fault from what im reading.
                What I am reading is that, according to a few here, that every one of those games has been Rivers fault.

Sarcasm aside, it's somewhere in the middle.

Comment

• El_Tee
                  I’m No Noob
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Disney World, FL
                  • Send PM

I can’t anymore. I’ll always bleed powder blue. But it makes no sense to go forward with Rivers. It just doesn’t. He’s had his times to get a ring. He’s had decent enough teams. Look at plenty of other teams that get a ring. Baltimore with Flacco.

Flacco has one of the best post seasons EVER. Look at Rivers’ post season stats. Take a long, hard look.

He didnt go go to the front office this season when Okung went out and say “make a couple deals for some good OL, and I’ll sign for $5m a year for two more years to cover it”.

if we keep him, and good lord I can’t even... wait until we see the money. It won’t be a gift to bolster a damn thing.

There’s a reason why he won’t win a ring. It’s not the offense around him. It’s not the defense. It’s not coaching. It’s him.

And it’s sad to type that. The world owes Philip Rivers nothing. Not a damn thing. He’s the Falcons, who lost a 35 pt lead in the Super Bowl.

Except for the getting to the Super Bowl part.

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

What I am reading is that, according to a few here, that every one of those games has been Rivers fault.

agree..... some of the media is also blaming Rivers but the media never see most of his games..... most of the media have no idea that Rivers quick decision making, quick release, and accurate arm have covered up for the Chargers having the worst or nearly the worst OL in NFL for his entire career......

Yesterday Rivers was seeing jail breaks from a team that had not been sacking anyone so far this season....... even without blitzing..... especially on plays where Rivers really needed some time.....
                    a lot of that was bad play design or play calling, the other factor is Williams and Allen are clearly very good WR's but this team has never drafted any real fast WR's..... this team needs 2-3 speed burners to be the backups and rotational guys for williams and Allen...... most teams draft speed and then teach WR's to catch and run routes....... there are many teams that do not have any slow WR's.....

Hint to TT: speed cannot be taught! and fast WR's like steelers, KC, and other teams have can get open much quicker than slow receivers...... and fast WR's force defenses to keep safeties deep.......... opening up the short passes and running game.......

Patton ruins like he's 45....... and we were sending him deep?????....... just a stupid game plan...... maybe Patton beats some of our slow DB's deep in practice...... Raiders dont have great defenders but they are fast......... and they hold a lot.......

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post
                      Interesting stat...

This is Rivers' stat line since 2006, down by 1 score with 2 mins or less left in the game. He has been in this situation more than any other QB by 55 attempts. He also has arguably the worst stat line of QBs in this situation with over 100 attempts in this situation.

The frustrating part is all we needed to do was hold the Turds out of the endzone, not FG range but endzone and that stat line would have been moot last night.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I agree.
                        The team has let him down at times and he has let the team down at times.
                        I do think he is the bigger factor it in all. Not in a bad way, just in that the franchise QB position carries a lot of responsibility in leading teams to win.
                        I'll arbitrarily say 51% Rivers and 49% others.

I think he had 5 good to great games this year and the team is 4-1 in those games.
                        I think he had 5 subpar games and the team is 0-5 in those games.
                        So he is not getting carried by the others at all, if he does not play well, they just don't win.
                        He has to do the heavy lifting. But he is the $95million dollar franchise QB, so it's kinda how it goes.
                        And the hardest part to watch is how often he gets unraveled when doing the heavy lifting in end games situational football.
                        He is just as likely to lead a drive late as he is to throw it deep into double coverage.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• El_Tee
                          I’m No Noob
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Disney World, FL
                          • Send PM

Every great love story eventually ends.

This is that time.

We got rid of Whiz because a change was needed.

Is it about the team or the individual?

Comment

Working...
                          X