• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMR9FAN
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

According to Lynn, there were short routes available on that last drive...sounds like he thinks Phil forced things long...
    The last “drive” was on all on Rivers’ poor decision making and him not throwing underneath when guys were open.

Age typically affects:
    • Arm strength
    • Mobility
    Age typically does not affect:
    • Decision making (in fact, it usually gets better as QBs get older)
    • Release time
    Rivers’ arm strength is about what it has always been. He has never been mobile.

So the question is:

Why is his decision-making getting worse with age when it should be getting better or at least staying even?

The only thing I can think of is he got hit 10 times on Thursday and that affected his cognitive abilities. BUT, if he didn’t want to get hit again, shorter throws underneath would have been better.

He is becoming quite the mystery. Maybe some counseling would help. No, not kidding.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by PMR9FAN; 11-10-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

The last “drive” was on all on Rivers’ poor decision making and him not throwing underneath when guys were open.

Age typically affects:
      • Arm strength
      • Mobility
      Age typical does not affect:
      • Release time
      Rivers’ arm strength is about what it has always been. He has never been mobile.

So the question is:

Why is his decision-making getting worse with age when it should be getting better or at least staying even?

The only thing I can think of is he got hit 10 times on Thursday and that affected his cognitive abilities. BUT, if he didn’t want to get hit again, shorter throws underneath would have been better.

He is becoming quite the mystery. Maybe some counseling would help. No, not kidding.

Thoughts?
      I've been following the Chargers since 1979. I have an irrational love for all Charger QBs. That said, If therapy for a 38 year old QB is on the table, so should trading 2 first round & a 4th picks to trade into the Top 5 to land Joe Burrow.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Rivers is a baller. Not a game manager.
        He shows a lot of faith in his o-line, even when he shouldn't. And he isnt scared to push the ball.
        Philip thinks they can execute the play and he can hit the hi over or the 7.

Carr didnt even try to push the ball.
        He dinked & dunked all day. And it was only good enough because Charger had those turnovers.

Rivers needs a better o line so he can do what he does best.
        But it would be useful for him to do more game manager stuff when its a rough day pushing the ball.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Funny, I used to say the Chargers should send Kaeding and Rivers to a sports psychologist

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
            Rivers is a baller. Not a game manager.
            He shows a lot of faith in his o-line, even when he shouldn't. And he isnt scared to push the ball.
            Philip thinks they can execute the play and he can hit the hi over or the 7.

Carr didnt even try to push the ball.
            He dinked & dunked all day. And it was only good enough because Charger had those turnovers.

Rivers needs a better o line so he can do what he does best.
            But it would be useful for him to do more game manager stuff when its a rough day pushing the ball.
            Fascinating that I made the same argument in 2004. I argued that we had a QB and we needed to build the offensive line.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
              Funny, I used to say the Chargers should send Kaeding and Rivers to a sports psychologist
              I think that is the answer for Rivers. He has all the physical and mental processing attributes of a great QB but there is some emotional impediment when it comes to common-sense decision making. Warner used to have the same problem but somehow worked past it. Whiz and Haley helped him.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

I think that is the answer for Rivers. He has all the physical and mental processing attributes of a great QB but there is some emotional impediment when it comes to common-sense decision making. Warner used to have the same problem but somehow worked past it. Whiz and Haley helped him.
                He’s got 9 kids so I agree that common sense decision making is lacking

Comment

• SDBORN
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Lol. My parents have 8. Glad to have all my siblings but still think they were nuts, and they didn't have millions of dollars to back it up.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Rivers has a habit of going deep no matter the situation.

:rimshot:
                    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Age typically affects:
                      • Arm strength
                      • Mobility
                      • Release time

So the question is:

Thoughts?
                      If PR hasn't learned by now to hit the high percentage short pass in crunch time, instead of playing "hero ball" with the long bombs, I doubt he ever will...sorry...time to move on to the next QB this off season...been watching this broken record for years...Rivers lights it up a game or two, then stinks up the field with a game like the Bears and Raiders...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Age typically affects:
                        • Arm strength
                        • Mobility
                        • Release time

So the question is:

Thoughts?
                        I'm thinking he was trying to get a PI call for a big gain. No other explanation since he didn't throw to MW who goes up for the ball when throwing down the field.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Well, not unreasonable because that was his post game explanation for the INT thrown at the end of the Detroit game.

stinking thinking Rivers

Comment

Working...
                          X