• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yeah, I’m not remotely expecting it, and they’d have to backload the cap hit to later years. But they could backload cap numbers to make it work and he is exactly the type of IDL player we have not had since Jamal. different player but similar in terms of impact.

he’s 28 now so a backloaded deal is expecting him to perform at high level till he’s … 32?
    IDL players have a reputation for maintaining their value even into their 30s but it's definitely a risk...it depends on the type of contract he's going to want and how much guaranteed, I can see the chargers doing 50 mil guaranteed over 3 years with a voidable year or two added so basically a 3 year deal and he'd be free to go elsewhere by age 31 and the cap hit could be spread out further...on paper it would look like a 4 year 100 million deal with 24 avg...but they'd have to lose both the Mack and the Bosa contracts to make it work, the only other big contract that the chargers have looming is Slater so maybe it would work, they can also still add an older center like Cole or Allen that wouldn't count against comp picks and then worry about backup center on day three? IDK, it's risky and it depends as well on how long they plan to keep KA at big money...

right now it definitely looks like they have to cut MW and trade Mack just to even get to a place where they can start working on what to do about Joey...whichever one they keep of Joey or Mack will most likely be a trade candidate in season but let's be honest Joey can't stay healthy long enough to get traded during the season...IDK man, after seeing what happened to Miami, I'm thinking the best thing is not to tie up big money on more than one or maybe two aging vets no matter what...so Keenan short term and someone in free agency like Wilkins...

let's keep in mind what wilkins would mean to Tuli and whoever they decide to sign in cheap FA to fill in at edge, there will be guys this year looking for a team with a solid QB/HC situation that might have a shot at the playoffs...now I'm thinking it's imperative that they move both Joey and Mack...IDK, it's a fucked up situation but it could be so much worse, it could be Miami...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The IDL prospects are very good this draft. There should be a good one in round 3 this draft. Might even get Kris Jenkins due to a deep IDL class.
      we are picking high in each round so it could happen, the thing is that Jenkins is moving up in the draft, his momentum could potentially take him all the way up to the top of the 2nd round, IDK, I think pick #37 is probably going to be OL or CB depending on what they do at #5...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I was fairly alarmed that someone of Wilkins caliber would become available in FA, I mean the Dolphins are only 18mil over the cap, on paper we had a worse cap situation, but then I took a closer look and they are in serious trouble, whoever does Miami's cap work should be fired THAT or it seems that they deliberately went down the road of the Rams or Saints...the top guys on their roster are uncuttable due to dead cap that would make the situation even worse...

And Tua will have to get franchise tagged next offseason or be allowed to walk...the dolphins are in really bad shape cap wise, they might have to do what the Saints do and restructure a bunch of older guys just to stay afloat and sign their draft picks...

our cap situation is completely solvable in one year but at least ours has a solution, even if Miami wanted to clean house and rebuild they are in a tough situation, WOW...Yeah, it's probably not the smartest thing to throw big money at Keenan and then go out and sign 28 year old Wilkins for 24 mil a season...certainly not if they plan on keeping either Bosa or Mack...

we have at least one big extension on the horizon for our LT...anyone else that's going to be extended in the next couple of years? I'm think Samuel might be allowed to walk?
        our cap is not just solvable, it is already SOLVED for next year. This is a one year blip, nothing to worry about. They have over $120M cap space next year at current status quo. It won’t be that by the time they get there as they need to secure Slater but it’s not an issue. And that assumes Joey is on the roster at $33M cap hit but it’s only a $7M dead cap hit to cut him. Pipkins becomes cuttable with another $7M cap savings possible. Etc. The CAP IS SOLVED - everyone can forget about cap nightmares,

they could sign “a Wilkins” type, then cutting a Joey/drafting new young Edge is much less risky to overall defense. Jmo, I’ll be over here banging on the trashcan in the alley til morning - WE GOT NO IDL!!!

KC has ok edge pressure, but Chris Jones is key to the KC defense. KC won the SB this year due to improved defense and not some super unstoppable offense. They didn’t win by “outscoring” BAL and SF in a shootout as is most often stated here, they won by holding both of those offenses below their normal production. 19 pts in regulation play is not unstoppable offense folks.

Connect the dots folks …
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

IDL players have a reputation for maintaining their value even into their 30s but it's definitely a risk...it depends on the type of contract he's going to want and how much guaranteed, I can see the chargers doing 50 mil guaranteed over 3 years with a voidable year or two added so basically a 3 year deal and he'd be free to go elsewhere by age 31 and the cap hit could be spread out further...on paper it would look like a 4 year 100 million deal with 24 avg...but they'd have to lose both the Mack and the Bosa contracts to make it work, the only other big contract that the chargers have looming is Slater so maybe it would work, they can also still add an older center like Cole or Allen that wouldn't count against comp picks and then worry about backup center on day three? IDK, it's risky and it depends as well on how long they plan to keep KA at big money...

right now it definitely looks like they have to cut MW and trade Mack just to even get to a place where they can start working on what to do about Joey...whichever one they keep of Joey or Mack will most likely be a trade candidate in season but let's be honest Joey can't stay healthy long enough to get traded during the season...IDK man, after seeing what happened to Miami, I'm thinking the best thing is not to tie up big money on more than one or maybe two aging vets no matter what...so Keenan short term and someone in free agency like Wilkins...

let's keep in mind what wilkins would mean to Tuli and whoever they decide to sign in cheap FA to fill in at edge, there will be guys this year looking for a team with a solid QB/HC situation that might have a shot at the playoffs...now I'm thinking it's imperative that they move both Joey and Mack...IDK, it's a fucked up situation but it could be so much worse, it could be Miami...
          Agree, it’s doable. I think they could do it with only -Joey, keeping Mack. Cap problem quickly dissolves in 2025 - all of those cap bombs are short term and Slater is the only premium player due a payday next year. They are more than $120M cap room and that still assumes Joey is eating $33M cap.

WE GOT NO IDL!!!
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Not to mention, Hortiz doesn't make a big splash in free agency.
            What is the difference between extending Mack with a contract of say 70/3 compared to signing Wilkins to like 95/4. I get its 25m and one year but in the sense - if Hortiz were to extend Mack - that is akin to signing a big time player

What if you could trade Mack for a 3rd round pick and sign Wilkins? Those two days next week will be enlightening to see if this is a possibility meaning is Wilkins even on the Chargers radar - if not - you have two days to figure things out

FYI... still moving on from Bosa - if not a trade, designate as a June 1 - and take the $22 and use it better

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

our cap is not just solvable, it is already SOLVED for next year. This is a one year blip, nothing to worry about. They have over $120M cap space next year at current status quo. It won’t be that by the time they get there as they need to secure Slater but it’s not an issue. And that assumes Joey is on the roster at $33M cap hit but it’s only a $7M dead cap hit to cut him. Pipkins becomes cuttable with another $7M cap savings possible. Etc. The CAP IS SOLVED - everyone can forget about cap nightmares,

they could sign “a Wilkins” type, then cutting a Joey/drafting new young Edge is much less risky to overall defense. Jmo, I’ll be over here banging on the trashcan in the alley til morning - WE GOT NO IDL!!!

KC has ok edge pressure, but Chris Jones is key to the KC defense. KC won the SB this year due to improved defense and not some super unstoppable offense. They didn’t win by “outscoring” BAL and SF in a shootout as is most often stated here, they won by holding both of those offenses below their normal production. 19 pts in regulation play is not unstoppable offense folks.

Connect the dots folks …
              Center and IDL are the biggest positions of need. If not Wilkins, it needs to be addressed in free agency and the draft.

One thing about the cap it will increase in 2025 with Bosa released this year (June 1) and Linsley retires (June )
              Can possibly just let the Mack contract play out as it or maybe just give him the $23 and push half to next year with a void year
              But I agree, Chargers IDL needs to improve

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

we are picking high in each round so it could happen, the thing is that Jenkins is moving up in the draft, his momentum could potentially take him all the way up to the top of the 2nd round, IDK, I think pick #37 is probably going to be OL or CB depending on what they do at #5...
                That could happen. Jenkins is a very good player. But the DT position is pretty deep into the late 3rd or early 4th. I wouldn't over-draft @#37. That pick will probably be a center. IMO, center is one position I wouldn't fuck around with and wait. I have 3 centers that all project to the 2nd round. IMO, after those 3, the talent level drops. Now if Harbaugh thinks Nugent can do in the NFL what he did in college... then maybe they wait until the 4th round to grab Nugent.

My `dream draft would be RT and OC in the 1st two rounds. Followed by DT, LB, CB in the 3rd round.
                Trades make the three 3rd's happen. Trade back in the 1st round... trade Mack for a 3rd rounder.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

That could happen. Jenkins is a very good player. But the DT position is pretty deep into the late 3rd or early 4th. I wouldn't over-draft @#37. That pick will probably be a center. IMO, center is one position I wouldn't fuck around with and wait. I have 3 centers that all project to the 2nd round. IMO, after those 3, the talent level drops. Now if Harbaugh thinks Nugent can do in the NFL what he did in college... then maybe they wait until the 4th round to grab Nugent.

My `dream draft would be RT and OC in the 1st two rounds. Followed by DT, LB, CB in the 3rd round.
                  Trades make the three 3rd's happen. Trade back in the 1st round... trade Mack for a 3rd rounder.
                  #37 is not over-draft for Jenkins. It's the sweet spot for him if he is there. Some mocks have him going in the 1st. so who knows. I'll trust Harbaugh and Minter on this one.

As for Center keep an eye on Hunter Nourzad Penn State. He blew up the Shrine Bowl. He could be taken in the 3rd or 4th. He will probably move up some draft boards.
                  1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                  2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                  2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                  3a- #66 Puni OT
                  3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                  4a- #105 Rice WR
                  4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                  5- #140 Green CB
                  6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

Their names may have been changed to protect the innocent.
                    Surprised Hill didn’t make the list after tackling the onlyfans “model”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

What is the difference between extending Mack with a contract of say 70/3 compared to signing Wilkins to like 95/4. I get its 25m and one year but in the sense - if Hortiz were to extend Mack - that is akin to signing a big time player

What if you could trade Mack for a 3rd round pick and sign Wilkins? Those two days next week will be enlightening to see if this is a possibility meaning is Wilkins even on the Chargers radar - if not - you have two days to figure things out

FYI... still moving on from Bosa - if not a trade, designate as a June 1 - and take the $22 and use it better
                      I want them to move on from Bosa so bad, I'm fucking done with Joey as a fan, but I'll trust this new GM/HC combo to have a plan and if they keep him it's going to be for a reason, I don't think it would be a longterm thing...Joey is not a team guy, he's a me first guy and how anyone could still want that on the roster is beyond me...

I would not give Joey that 7.4mil bonus he's due in a few days, fuck that shit! cutting him and MWs still clears up 34 mil in cap space and then you can "extend" both Mack and KA on one voidable year to push about 15mil in dead cap into 2025 but you also create an additional 20 mil in cap space this year...so that 34mil in space turns into 54 which puts you about 33 mil UNDER the cap to go make some noise in FA and sign our picks...

also if needed restructuring Herbert clears another 5.7mil and then you can still clear an additional 6.2mil by cutting the punter, Morgan Fox, and the pending June 1st cut of Linsley---so that's almost 12 mil more that the chargers can clear by June 1st if they need it, it would require looking for another punter or drafting Tory Taylor from Iowa with our last pick...

Also for the guys that want OT early, they could also move on from pipkins after June 1st and save an additional 6.2 mil for 2024...

the point is that the Chargers have options even while keeping KA and Mack AND potentially signing someone like Wilkins...but Bosa and MW need to go plus they need to make a series of smaller moves none of which cause trouble in the future but can make it comfortable to sign draft picks and still have spending money for the in season budget...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Center and IDL are the biggest positions of need. If not Wilkins, it needs to be addressed in free agency and the draft.

One thing about the cap it will increase in 2025 with Bosa released this year (June 1) and Linsley retires (June )
                        Can possibly just let the Mack contract play out as it or maybe just give him the $23 and push half to next year with a void year
                        But I agree, Chargers IDL needs to improve
                        Wilkins would be a spectacular get, it would free the draft to focus on OL, CB, and LB and then you can still pick up one of the later DTs to compete with the guys we currently have...

I think a from FA signing POV signing Wilkins would be like the defensive version of what Linsley meant to the O-line, THAT'S what getting Wilkins would do for defensive line...the cap savings from Joey by himself should cover Wilkin's cap hit for year one...the MWs cut gets us under the cap and the Joey cut gets us Wilkins and then you can clear space by signing Mack and KA to voidable one year extensions which could clear another 20-25 million in cap space for wave 3 free agency and draft picks...

Is Wilkins more likely to sign here if the team keeps Mack or if they clean house altogether?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

The more research I do the more and more impressed I become with Graham Barton, he's a beast and I think he might be even better than JPJ...Barton reminds me of Kris Dielman it's like watching Kris all over again, he manhandles people, it's awesome to watch...

Comment

Working...
                          X