• Show
Clear All
  • Jack Burton
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
    Popper talking about the draft ....

Thinks Palmer is a good #3 receiver on a Super Bowl team, and that QJ is the wildcard ..... coaching staff thinks they can get more out of him than the last regime.
    Popper would be absolutely shocked if they don't draft a receiver by the 3rd round.
    Loves the big 3, and sees an easy path for each towards being a #1 receiver.

Long discussion on Oline. Popper says that they have pieces there and the new coaching staff will get more out of them. Asked about the forgotten man on the oline, Pumpkins - Popper says that he reviewed tape on Pip before the podcast, said that he's not all that bad (inflection point) and has played good football in the past, both as a run blocker and a pass protector. Popper does not think RT is an imperative need, given the other shortcomings on the team.
    Thinks Alt is a good prospect and he likes his run blocking; however, he's worried about Alt's ability to anchor against NFL bull rushers. Says that a guy like Khalil Mack will bull rush an unsturdy OT all afternoon if he senses weakness.
    Does not think Alt has the same clear path to excellence that the receivers have.

Talked a bit about defense. Believes that corner is clearly the #1 need on defense, and maybe linebacker is next.

Final bit was on trading down. Would only do it if a 2nd first rounders is offered, at minimum. Says that Brock Bowers is on the table from pick # 10 - 13.
    Says that a DT at 10 - 13 is possible: Newton or Murphy, but the Ravens historically prefer the 3rd round for DTs.

Ended up talking about rbs. Thinks 3rd or 4rth round is where they will end up getting a running back.
    A guy that makes a lot of sense is Audric Estime.

I see them getting a weapon at 11 with a small trade up to 8/9 and then trading out of 23 getting multiple picks in the 2nd,3rd.
    The key is getting out of 5 with AZ-MIN.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

My spidey senses have been tingling for many of these same guesses. Which are only guesses.

1. Our OL last year was badly coached, badly implemented game plans, bad play calling, The entire OL is better than they looked. Could see them planting a second anchor but can just as easily see they have more urgent needs elsewhere that blue chip talent is sitting there for them.
      2. Definitely see them taking WR by Rd3 - thats about the cutoff of the top 8 or so WRs on all of our boards. They will want a WR that can play year 1, not be a 3 yr development
      3. He says CB then LB, but then says they might take DT at 10-13. I see a truly top tier DT as biggest impact, unless you have that Chris Jones you just don’t notice how your guy isnt playing like a Chris Jones type does - those dudes wreck the timing and cadence of the entire offense, eliminate the front door escape hatch that causes so many edge rushers to be close but not get there. They tackle RBs in the backfield. They get your LBs clean behind them. They just can change a defense. Both DT and CB are big upgrade needs.
      4. RB later. Idunno when but not early.
      5. TE - probably not a premier draft pick expenditure this year. Sorry to the Bowers fans, I love him too - I have a lot of love for a lot of players so I’ll be ok. I hope you’re ok too

I have wondered here several times the comments he made on Alt. Idunno - I’m not going to say he’s not a good LT, he appears to be the best in the class. He’s not a mauling roadgrader, his weakness is his anchor but is it that weak? Idunno - is that critical to success or are we all just humored to watch mauling polar bears eat flabby seals?
      Mac, I'm with you on getting an elite, run-stuffing DT early--either at 11 or 23. They just don't grow on trees. Tired of seeing us gashed up the middle for big chunks. Agree our O-line will be better, but I think we should grab a solid OG in round 2-3. CB and LB are important, depends on slotting. RB could go in round 4, since we have two picks there.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I think both Telesco and Pierce will be fired in the near future. Telesco was added after Pierce got the job because (I think) the bowl haircut is hedging his bets with an extremely inexperienced HC who is more bluster and bravado than he is CEO/leader/football strategist. It is why Pierce is surrounded by over the hill former NFL HCs on his staff like Marvin Lewis. He is a teenager driving a brand new car the day after he gets his license. Needs his dad in the front seat to advise him how to drive.

TG
        Nice one, Heat! I'll just call Mark Davis "Bowlcut" and give u a credit on the Bolt Nickname Thread!

image.png

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I think both Telesco and Pierce will be fired in the near future. Telesco was added after Pierce got the job because (I think) the bowl haircut is hedging his bets with an extremely inexperienced HC who is more bluster and bravado than he is CEO/leader/football strategist. It is why Pierce is surrounded by over the hill former NFL HCs on his staff like Marvin Lewis. He is a teenager driving a brand new car the day after he gets his license. Needs his dad in the front seat to advise him how to drive.

It feels like there is no allegiance to Telesco, he was an after thought, and Pierce seems to disregard or denegrate him every time I see or read him. If the GM-HC dynamic is as important as everyone says it is, I just don't see how this works well.

Also it is nice to hear Kimes and other national media acknowledge how dereft the Charger roster is. When Telesco was hired, all we read was how he built this great roster every year. This team has tons of holes.

I did not realize we had the entire 1994 season, every complete game, available to us on this board. What a treasure and thank you Fleet! I watched the first Raider game that year. I had forgotten how bad that roster was on paper and how great they played. Gives tons of hope for this season. The WRs were Mark Seay, who was a career 4th or 5th stringer, Tony Martin who never panned out anywhere, very young Shawn Jefferson. TEs were all basically OTs (Pupunu, Young, Mitchell) and a guy who was just a guy (May), LBs were all castoffs or unknown young guys except Seau, the two DTs were both castoffs (Lee and Davis), the secondary was a bunch of no names - Vanhorse, Carrington, Harper, supplemented by a really good Darrien Gordon and the Sheriff. OL was below average player by player but not as a unit. But that whole team played great and everyone excelled to the top of their abilities. Oh and we had Leslie in his prime who just was a game wrecker and Means was in year 2 and just unbelievable. I see lot of similarities to this upcoming team.

TG
          I don't think you sufficiently recognize Tom's unique survival skills - he's the modern day weasel

image.png
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

They will build some depth on Defense in this draft, but this draft is lite on Blue Chip Day One starters on defense.
            I believe they look to the trade market for a true CB1. These 1st round corners are lacking the Elite plug and play skills of Surtain, Sauce, Stingly.

The best Edge rusher in this draft has a serious neck injury history and will most likely be a mid- to late1st rounder.
            DT is decent but no need to overdraft.
            LB really thin because there is only one real 3-down LBer in this draft. (Harbaugh Coached Him). The rest of the linebackers will depend on scheme fit and role to justify the pick if early. IMHO the LBer grades start with late 2nd round early 3rd round grades. (I think Perryman was brought in with this in mind. You know he's great at stopping the run and you can patch together a core that has 3/4 guys playing a specific role while you try to develop them.).
            I don’t get it, every year the same thing…folks want a top end defense but don’t want to spend the draft capital for it…just draft running back, wide receivers, etc and then light some candles and pray for a miracle to transform our defense😂
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

They will build some depth on Defense in this draft, but this draft is lite on Blue Chip Day One starters on defense.
              I believe they look to the trade market for a true CB1. These 1st round corners are lacking the Elite plug and play skills of Surtain, Sauce, Stingly.

The best Edge rusher in this draft has a serious neck injury history and will most likely be a mid- to late1st rounder.
              DT is decent but no need to overdraft.
              LB really thin because there is only one real 3-down LBer in this draft. (Harbaugh Coached Him). The rest of the linebackers will depend on scheme fit and role to justify the pick if early. IMHO the LBer grades start with late 2nd round early 3rd round grades. (I think Perryman was brought in with this in mind. You know he's great at stopping the run and you can patch together a core that has 3/4 guys playing a specific role while you try to develop them.).
              I don’t get it, every year the same thing…folks want a top end defense but don’t want to spend the draft capital for it…just draft running back, wide receivers, etc and then light some candles and pray for a miracle to transform our defense😂
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Might as well trade Herbert because we could just run the ball 60% of the time because we lost two high impact Receivers plus others. Right now we are a field goal team. Meaning of course we will kick way more field goals than score touchdowns.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2024
                  • Send PM

There are many ways to build a defense. The Edge rushers are not the highest priority at the Top of this draft, and they don't have the highest grades on the edges early accept one (Not my guy by the way).
                  You also need to build a defense that can make key stops and create the sudden change of possession. This is no longer a "cliched" defense wins championships league. You need balance but it's an offensive league now, especially with all these Pro-Offensive rules. Give me a defense that's good on 3rd down, great in the Red-Zone holding teams to 3 points and creates sudden changes in possession (Turnovers). Then an offense that will average 24 ppg and you will win 10 games and be a playoff team every season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Neither side is near finished. I'm all for defense but doubt we are drafting an edge at 5.

WR , TE or OL at 5 or 11 and then defense possibly at 23 if we have it, 37 and 69....depending on our first pick.

Speaking of defense, last year I'd have settled for being middle of the pack. We would of been in the playoffs and picking 20 to 24th or something.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Neither side is near finished. I'm all for defense but doubt we are drafting an edge at 5.

WR , TE or OL at 5 or 11 and then defense possibly at 23 if we have it, 37 and 69....depending on our first pick.

Speaking of defense, last year I'd have settled for being middle of the pack. We would of been in the playoffs and picking 20 to 24th or something.
                      And Staley/Telesco would still be here! Yikes! Here's to Staley and Telesco being incompetent.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Well, I for one would like us to nab a run-stuffing, pocket-pushing DT early...

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Really Really Interesting draft analysis by Schrager...I think this is very realistic on how this might go down....

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X