• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Arm strength is the easiest of the QB talents - you either were born with the ability (or not). Accuracy and (above all) decision making are far more important. The NFL is littered with guys who could throw the ball 60 yards 'with a flick of the wrist', and yet failed to be successful - anyone remember Ed Luther? We already know Richardson's a great athlete. We knew that last year in college. Can he read defenses, make good (quick) decisions, and deliver the ball on time and accurately?

Hopefully Lance has been smart with his money . . . . . . . . .
    Richardson is better than a great athlete, he’s a stunningly great athlete. I don’t know if he’ll ever be a great qb, but it’s worth a try to see if they can develop him. Great athletes start with a higher ceiling and his is in the clouds. I wouldn’t have touched Lamar Jackson, then he wins MVP. You never know how things will turn out.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Richardson is better than a great athlete, he’s a stunningly great athlete. I don’t know if he’ll ever be a great qb, but it’s worth a try to see if they can develop him. Great athletes start with a higher ceiling and his is in the clouds. I wouldn’t have touched Lamar Jackson, then he wins MVP. You never know how things will turn out.
      True . . . . . . . he could end up being great, but we've all seen strong armed guys get anointed as the next 'great one' and then drop out of sight. Ryan Leaf had a great arm - much better than Peyton Manning - how'd that work out. NFL QB's have to have at least decent arm strength, but after that it's all above the shoulders stuff.

That's what makes Herbert so special. He has all the physical tools (and then some), but he's also got a superior work ethic and smarts . . . . . . . the sky really is the limit for him - if the damn organization will just GTFO of the way . . . . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Richardson feels like Akili Smith to me . . . . . . . . . . we'll see. If he fails at QB he can always play RB . . . .
        We’ll see. I say give him a year and you’ll be wrong but who knows.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

True . . . . . . . he could end up being great, but we've all seen strong armed guys get anointed as the next 'great one' and then drop out of sight. Ryan Leaf had a great arm - much better than Peyton Manning - how'd that work out. NFL QB's have to have at least decent arm strength, but after that it's all above the shoulders stuff.

That's what makes Herbert so special. He has all the physical tools (and then some), but he's also got a superior work ethic and smarts . . . . . . . the sky really is the limit for him - if the damn organization will just GTFO of the way . . . . . . . .
          Ryan Leaf suffered manic depression and addiction(s). he’s not a good comparison to most-to-all QBs, except maybe Schlicter. Richardson is not just a good athlete, as F21 noted, he’s off the charts more gifted than typical “strong arm” QBs your experience tells you toe be cautious of. I personally don’t see a great comparison to Akili Smith other than they both had very limited experience starting in college.

It’s a gamble, i think its a good one but needs some time and investment by the team.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

We’ll see. I say give him a year and you’ll be wrong but who knows.
            He's being groomed to start immediately. IMO that's a mistake for a QB in his position. I know Indy doesn't have much at QB, but it's a risky proposition. He's going to be slow reading defenses and going thru his progressions - I hope he's as good a runner at the NFL level as he was in college . . . . . . . he'll need to be.

And you're correct; no-one knows for sure if he'll be good (or not), but we've all seen this movie before, and it usually doesn't end well . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Ryan Leaf suffered manic depression and addiction(s). he’s not a good comparison to most-to-all QBs, except maybe Schlicter. Richardson is not just a good athlete, as F21 noted, he’s off the charts more gifted than typical “strong arm” QBs your experience tells you toe be cautious of. I personally don’t see a great comparison to Akili Smith other than they both had very limited experience starting in college.

It’s a gamble, i think its a good one but needs some time and investment by the team.
              The comparisons to Smith and Leaf were for arm strength only. Not for their mental makeup.

The point was that a strong arm is far from a guarantee that that individual will be a good QB. IMO he was a big risk as a 1st rounder, and Indy will make it even riskier if they start him right away.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

The comparisons to Smith and Leaf were for arm strength only. Not for their mental makeup.

The point was that a strong arm is far from a guarantee that that individual will be a good QB. IMO he was a big risk as a 1st rounder, and Indy will make it even riskier if they start him right away.
                Blowing a first is not a franchise killer. All teams do it occasionally.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Blowing a first is not a franchise killer. All teams do it occasionally.
                  Not saying that it would be (a franchise killer), and given where Indy drafted they got the best QB prospect available - no argument. Even Ryan Leaf wasn't a franchise killer - just incredibly damaging (and painful). Still not as bad as Jamarcus Russel though !

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Not saying that it would be (a franchise killer), and given where Indy drafted they got the best QB prospect available - no argument. Even Ryan Leaf wasn't a franchise killer - just incredibly damaging (and painful). Still not as bad as Jamarcus Russel though !
                    It' fairly hard to find a QB in the draft. I mean it took the 49ers 3 first round picks and the dead last pick to find one. LOL!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

He's being groomed to start immediately. IMO that's a mistake for a QB in his position. I know Indy doesn't have much at QB, but it's a risky proposition. He's going to be slow reading defenses and going thru his progressions - I hope he's as good a runner at the NFL level as he was in college . . . . . . . he'll need to be.

And you're correct; no-one knows for sure if he'll be good (or not), but we've all seen this movie before, and it usually doesn't end well . . . .
                      What's the problem...1st...2nd read...run for the end zone or toss it out of bounds for the first season. LOL!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

It' fairly hard to find a QB in the draft. I mean it took the 49ers 3 first round picks and the dead last pick to find one. LOL!

Fairly hard - there's an understatement!! There's a good bit of luck involved as well. We got unlucky with the Leaf / Manning episode, but karma paid us back with Herbert / Tua.

Miami can suck it . . . . . . we paid our dues

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

LOL. Good for him.

Comment

Working...
                          X