• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

One of my favorite players to ever play the game. I love the man. Will always love him. I wish nothing but the best for him going forward. And his Charger career ending hurts. I am sad. But i knew it was coming.

We have 7 players on the roster for 2022. Other than the Steelers i think most teams have twice that. We are deeply entrenched in a rebuild but nobody will admit it. The last thing we need is a player who we will continue to try and build around...fail...and waste 30M a year in the process. Building a team around a pocket passer and a QB who makes a ton of plays with his legs can have an impact on who you draft. Or who you sign. Its all about fits.

We have a lot of stars that are free agents this year and next. Bosa. Allen. Hunter Henry. Plenty more. Letting long term studs go just to fit a temporary player like Rivers under the cap makes no sense long term. Not to me. Again...our future roster is in such a need of player infusion that the money at this point is desperately needed.

And again i keep bringing up the Lynn vision. Its not a glued to the ground QB. This was a forward thinking hire. A move towards more of what we are seeing in college. It was tipped off with Lynns love affair with Jones. That failed. Taylor was the next chip to fall. Then Stick. All have the same RPO style history. Whiz getting axed. And then Rivers being given the respect of not being benched. He was done here for a while now. I dont think he was ever part of the long term plan. I dont think he "Fits" into the type of offense Lynn wants us to run.

I also am just not sold on the QBs in this draft. And i know the easy decision is to just draft one because we need to replace Rivers. I just think Lynn has his crush on Taylor. And will try and make it as easy of an offense for him to go out and not give away games. Lots of designed runs. Lots of bootlegs that will really help our OL not have to protect a QB for 5-7 seconds a play while our Wrs get out of their routes and Rivers is cemented to a collapsing pocket.

Obviously i want to have the best chance to win a SB every year. But if the product in order to be elite...needs to replenish its roster via high draft picks for a few years? To make us sensational for years to come? Im fine with that. That was sort of AJ Smiths vision as well. Imagine if we didnt have those high picks for Rivers and LT? And there is no Rivers or LT in this draft. I do see some of these players though...

WR - OBJ, D Hop and Tyreek Hill
    DT - Chris Jones
    LB - Urlacher
    CB - Jaylen Ramsey
    DE - Julius Peppers

I really like Thomas at OT. But he is still not getting the franchise LT type praise. And i think some of it is technique etc. Maybe even his tight hips. They run a smashmouth spread in Georgia and a lot of help is via a powferful interior run game....an h-back and power runners. I just dont know if that is a good fit with what we are going to be doing? Are we going to change the way we block in our new offense? What is it we will see? Its hard to get a fit on a player when the offense or its vision isnt really available yet.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Ontario , Canada
      • Send PM

I feel sorry for the way Rivers career went here. I think on the right team he could have won a SB as I don't see much difference btw him Roth and Eli - his co draftees in 2004 who are all similar in size,age and play.

AJ never really built enough of a SB team and neither did Telesco in all of Rivers' 16 yrs. I think Telesco is now just being pragmatic as he doesn't see the $ vs return and he is probably right. After what I have seen from Telesco in 7 years, I don't think any QB really has a SB chance here but I hope I am wrong.

Comment

• JOJAX85
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Irmo, SC
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

We finished with the #6 overall pick with Rivers. You do not think we have a realistic chance to tank enough to get to #1 overall next year without Rivers?
        If they go in to this season in a brand new Gazillion $ stadium with the idea of tanking then the league should snatch ownership away from the Spanos's immediately.

On 2nd thought, maybe that's the way to go...

It ain't happening.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

We finished with the #6 overall pick with Rivers. You do not think we have a realistic chance to tank enough to get to #1 overall next year without Rivers?
          No, because I do not think we will try and tank and with high draft picks and money to spend on FA, we will fill some holes that killed us this year.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

A true rarity among professional athletes. Loved the man. Sometimes loved the player and other times he made me pull my hair out.

I’ll say this, Lynn in mind is on the very hot seat right now. It was pretty clear that he and Phil weren’t on the same page and now it’s all on you Lynn.

wishing Phil the very best of luck.

thank you #17 for always competing to the best of your ability and never taking a day off.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

If they go in to this season in a brand new Gazillion $ stadium with the idea of tanking then the league should snatch ownership away from the Spanos's immediately.

On 2nd thought, maybe that's the way to go...

It ain't happening.
              I thought the Spanii would think that its smarter to go into the season with a better QB - and try to win instead of rebuild. But if the Spanii can do something wrong - they will

That being said - I think this is as much about Rivers wanting to be done with the Chargers in LA as them moving on. My guess, this was more his choice. His way of giving the finger

As for the QB - I think the best option - unless the dollars are crazy is actually Cam Newton. Rebuild your OL, become a running team and fix the defense. Bu tthis is Telesco so he will pick four guys from Notre Dame and trade up for Herbert.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Sorry, but you could not be more wrong....for multiple reasons....

For one, IF lawrence were truly that great, he would have beaten Burrow in the championship game, or he would have at least looked good as a passer in that game and the previous bowl game, but he did not look good as a passer in either game.....

Lawrence is a big physical RUNNING RPO QB with some passing skills...... he lacks touch and accuracy when actually forced to throw the ball....... Lawrence and Hebert are very close physically..... with rocket arms..... but both throw almost entirely bullet passes and rarely show touch accuracy......

Burrow is a way way better QB than Lawrence..... in almost every way except for power running...... leadership, decision making, and accuracy are what are important in an elite QB......Burrow had the greatest season any QB in history has ever had and he did it against the best defenses in college football........ and in biggest games..... he threw 7 TD passes in first half against a team that will have multiple first round defenders drafted...... if you have hear him interviewed, he is confident but very smart, he says he wins games during the week with study and preparation......he is a complete cant miss franchise QB......

If Lawrence was better then Burrow, he would have come out this year...... and since he will be coming out next year, he will likely go number one overall.......most likely Chargers will finish around .500 next year...... which will mean we will be picking in the late teens or early 20's........ if we dont draft a QB at 6 or higher this year, we likely ben going all in on OL and defense and running game...... which will put us in that 7-9 to 8-8 record area....... we would have to have there worst record in NFL to get Lawrence, and he will be in high demand because there are no other options like there are this year...

Burrow is the clear number one this year and Tua is also a franchise type QB in terms of accuracy and play making ability...... Hebert is comparable to
                Allen of buffalo but Hebert is far more accurate....... all 3 of those QB's, are better than Jones who was a huge reach last year......

Chargers are lucky to be at number 6 so we are close enough to new able to possibly trade up top number one or 2 or 3 too get the QB we want.... next year we will be too far away.......

Chargers have picks and some players we can trade....... if Chargers are not willing to pay Bosa big money he could be part of the deal..... if they are then Ingram, and others could be part of the deal.........

Chargers currently do NOT have a franchise QB own the roster so we have zero choice but to draft one........ if this team were great at all positions except QB then throwing money at Brady might be the answer to get a SB championship........ but sadly this team is far off and rebuilding..... and the rebuild starts with finding the right QB....... then you build pieces that support that QB and his skills/style..... That is how you build a team........
                Lawrence can't come out this year per NFL rules. He was a Soph, will be a Jr next year. he can come out after his JR year. score keepers will note he's only had 2 college years, he's not a 5th year Sr like Burrow. there might be more growth to be had there. But I love Burrows, he's stellar. They are both can't miss imo.

I'd hate to lose Bosa but I have a strong feeling they will lose him anyway. and comparing Top DE vs Top QB - zero debate there. QB means way more than any other player on the field. Even a sack master - which Joey was nowhere near the top of. But it would immediately change the rest of their off-season strategy as they have to replace him.

If I were Bengals, i wouldn't value a guy with a 1 year contract as a significant bargaining chip unless I could negotiate a new deal as part of the trade. good luck with that and his legal posse.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  A true rarity among professional athletes. Loved the man. Sometimes loved the player and other times he made me pull my hair out.

I’ll say this, Lynn in mind is on the very hot seat right now. It was pretty clear that he and Phil weren’t on the same page and now it’s all on you Lynn.

wishing Phil the very best of luck.

thank you #17 for always competing to the best of your ability and never taking a day off.
                  This is for damn sure. Lynn is the HC of a team with a QB and the skillset that QB likes - he probably wants Mariota too!

But this is now Lynns team for sure. Got a new OL coach - see what they do in Free Agency

It will be a bitter pill if Telesco finally builds a damn OL this offseason.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is for damn sure. Lynn is the HC of a team with a QB and the skillset that QB likes - he probably wants Mariota too!

But this is now Lynns team for sure. Got a new OL coach - see what they do in Free Agency

i think Mariota sucks. i'd rather have Tyrod.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

I still say that the team skimped on investing big on the line because of Rivers quick release and pre-snap reads and adjustments. Whatever QB we replace him with will almost assuredly be a big drop off in that and will need a better line.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

But this is Telesco so he will pick four guys from Notre Dame and trade up for Herbert.
                        Very funny ................... but true :lol:
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

I thought the Spanii would think that its smarter to go into the season with a better QB - and try to win instead of rebuild. But if the Spanii can do something wrong - they will

That being said - I think this is as much about Rivers wanting to be done with the Chargers in LA as them moving on. My guess, this was more his choice. His way of giving the finger

As for the QB - I think the best option - unless the dollars are crazy is actually Cam Newton. Rebuild your OL, become a running team and fix the defense. Bu tthis is Telesco so he will pick four guys from Notre Dame and trade up for Herbert.
                          Newton would cost too much in terms of what it would take to consummate the trade, as well as the obvious dent in our cap. Although it must be remembered that Cam has been a league MVP, I believe Rivers is essentially a cap casualty.

Regarding Golden Domers, Julian Okwara and Troy Pride are slotted nicely, PONs,
                          and ought to be of interest. See Melvin Ingram's contract and MDavis' circumstances.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X