• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingcrimson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
    That being said, this is a way for the SPanii to get media attention, maybe beat out the Rams in LA, get on national TV an extra game or two - and the Chargers would be the team having their QB run the length of the field saying "LFG!!!" - I think Spanii wants that more than winning.
    This.

I can already imagine the league drooling over Brady vs Mahomes twice a year. Besides, I see no other way of the Chargers establishing themselves in LA. We went 12-4 and won a playoff game, yet no one cared. Probably a good portion of the Pats fans will root for the Chargers just like how we’ll root for whatever team Phil lands on.

And about winning, last season was a bad season in Brady’s standards and he still went 4,057 yards 24 TDs 8 INTs. You can even argue his arm strength and accuracy isn’t as good as it once was, but he still makes the right play more often than not. With the scheme we’re switching to, I don’t think we’ll ask any QB to throw 30+ times a game, which he had to this last season in NE since they had absolutely no run game. Even then, his receivers were terrible outside of Edelman.

The pick 6 to end his tenure in NE (if he leaves) is and will always be hilarious to me though.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

This.

I can already imagine the league drooling over Brady vs Mahomes twice a year. Besides, I see no other way of the Chargers establishing themselves in LA. We went 12-4 and won a playoff game, yet no one cared. Probably a good portion of the Pats fans will root for the Chargers just like how we’ll root for whatever team Phil lands on.

And about winning, last season was a bad season in Brady’s standards and he still went 4,057 yards 24 TDs 8 INTs. You can even argue his arm strength and accuracy isn’t as good as it once was, but he still makes the right play more often than not. With the scheme we’re switching to, I don’t think we’ll ask any QB to throw 30+ times a game, which he had to this last season in NE since they had absolutely no run game. Even then, his receivers were terrible outside of Edelman.

The pick 6 to end his tenure in NE (if he leaves) is and will always be hilarious to me though.
      I have already stated that if Brady signs with the Chargers - the Bolts can make travel plans for KC that first Thursday game of the season. Are you kidding me - thats a no brainer for the NFL, and NBC. Plus Dean will get positive airtime. Even at the draft, with the 6th pick - up next is the Chargers. And for 10 minutes Eisen on NFLN and Wingo on ESPN will not be talking about the draft pick - they will be talkinga bout the new QB of the Bolts and I dare say it, they will not leave coverage for the BOlts picks.

And you mention many things -- Brady mentally will still do the right thing. He might throw it away; he might take a sack. All things equal, for one year, I think Brady would be better than the Rivers of last year. I am a big Rivers guy but maybe he needs a change too. Its probably time. He was not good. I hope he goes to the Colts and nails it. Love that guy. But he was not good last year and what makes me think he would rebound.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

If Brady does not go back to New England,
        Then I think Chargers are very likely to sign him.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
          If Brady does not go back to New England,
          Then I think Chargers are very likely to sign him.

I am not sure how in the know "Incarerated Bob" is on Twitter - but he tweets today, or retweeted that the Pats offer is $13-15m guaranteed with chances to get incentives, nothing guaranteed in year 2.

Tampa is supposedly going all in..

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2019
            • Send PM

Your welcome. And one thing I forgot to add that I just thought of - would those veterans after the first wave hit, see the talent on the roster like Allen, Henry, Mike Williams, Ekeler, the hopefully improved OL. a defense with Ingram, Bosa and Derwin James and finally, Tom Brady at QB - pick the Chargers for the veterans minimum or a little less money to play with the Chargers

Tom Brady will not give any players to take less money in the first wave of free agency, or even the second wave - but maybe at some point, the Chargers are an option for veteran players looking for one more year at a million bucks.

For this to work - Telesco would not only have to nail the draft - he would have to nail free agency with his some $20m available (roughly) - he would have to be both judicisious in spending and really make smart choices. I mean, its possible. Data shows that free agency return is around the 5-6m mark - meaning that is the pay range to target. Brady will cost a lot - but the other players do not need too. Just need good scouting and coaching.
            Where does that leave us with a WR who can stretch the field. Not sure current WR can get open fast for Brady. I would rather bring Rivers back at 20mil a year.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post

Where does that leave us with a WR who can stretch the field. Not sure current WR can get open fast for Brady. I would rather bring Rivers back at 20mil a year.
              Well, I think that is where the draft comes in. This is a deep draft. Also it means Telesco will have to nail the draft

I know the Spanii is doing this for the publicity, making a statement - etc - but from a competitive standpoint - what team is better

Brady at QB, you draft your OT at 6, get a fast WR in the draft, somehow upgrade DT, LB and CB between the draft and Free Agency

or

Taylor with Herbert at 6; spending your FA dollars on say Conklin or Fant for OT; still having cap dollars for DT and using the rest of the draft for WR, CB

Telescos margin for error is small with one but also a better chance of winning - this year with that one option.

EDIT: With the release of Mebane and Davis (as I mentioned above) - that leave the Chargers around 64m -- the next decision is Pouncey. And thats just health. I can see them doing something where he has time to recover but lowering his base salary in case he doesn't. Or he retires.

Double Edit: I forgot about Ekeler - so thats 5m less. If Telesco goes after Brady - he is going all in
              Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 03-13-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post

Hellooooo this draft class is absolutely loaded at WR.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Okay, -- lets takes a look at how the cap would work. Right now, for grins and giggles since there are no sports on the calendar and free agency will probably be pushed back (more for optics than anything else - its not like NFL players take visits like NBA players - the first wave is done all over the phone). But anyway.. Spotrac has the Okung deal in place, Jason from OTC holds off until the new year - but Spotrac has the Bolts at $55m

From Mebane, a LB and probably POuncey as he is not medically cleared, another 14m. So, that puts the total at 69m:

1) Hunter Henry, Draft Picks and IR Fund is $25m in total - so now down to 45 - that was fast!
                  2) Under a Brady scenario, the first round pick would be OT so that takes care of that in free agency. Possibly LB or DL in the draft too

A few ways to do a Brady deal
                  1) take 64 divide by 2 and take a 32m cap hit
                  2) backload it so that year one is 28 and year 2 is 36 (end of the day, some of this will be kicked to dead space the year Tahmmy walks) - maybe reducing year 2 by 6-8m
                  3) REALLY backload it like the Saints do with Brees so year 1 is 24, year 2 is 24 and there is a nice big dead dollar value the first year Brady retires of atound 16-18m. Ouch!

Take the middle option and kicking the can a bit, that leaves $17m of cap - for $17m can the Chargers get a DT (maybe Pierece, Reader, Jernigan) and LB, maybe a CB to add depth

Telesco would really need to nail the draft. I mean, he would have to hit a friggin home run.

End of the day, I think it takes too much cap space and would rather build up the team and draft Herbert at 6 and get him on that rookie deal. But I think its higher than Williams thinks, I think its 25% and my guess - if it happens, the contract will be option 2.

That being said, this is a way for the SPanii to get media attention, maybe beat out the Rams in LA, get on national TV an extra game or two - and the Chargers would be the team having their QB run the length of the field saying "LFG!!!" - I think Spanii wants that more than winning.
                  And if we cut Brady year 2...dead money up the ying yang. Then you have to resign Bosa. Gonna do that with what? Id rsther keep Bosa than sign Brady when we can draft a QB for the future....but sure learning behind Brady would be better than Tyrod.

And you are assuming they would cut Pouncey, Mebane and which LB? Mebane could retire but if he dont...will they cut him? Pouncey may be forced to retire but two big IFS there. If they dont, ....then your 17 is down to 3 mil and signing nobody else. Gonna need that 3 mil for those low grade signings when we have injuries.

Just say NO to Brady who also cant run. He was great in his day and little as 2018 but he is 43 now and we have a weak OL as of today.

EDIT.....OK cool, i see they did cut Mebane and Davis. Good start and helps your claim but still dont think its a good idea to sign Brady. Go young and build.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-13-2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Well, I think that is where the draft comes in. This is a deep draft. Also it means Telesco will have to nail the draft

I know the Spanii is doing this for the publicity, making a statement - etc - but from a competitive standpoint - what team is better

Brady at QB, you draft your OT at 6, get a fast WR in the draft, somehow upgrade DT, LB and CB between the draft and Free Agency

or

Taylor with Herbert at 6; spending your FA dollars on say Conklin or Fant for OT; still having cap dollars for DT and using the rest of the draft for WR, CB

Telescos margin for error is small with one but also a better chance of winning - this year with that one option.

EDIT: With the release of Mebane and Davis (as I mentioned above) - that leave the Chargers around 64m -- the next decision is Pouncey. And thats just health. I can see them doing something where he has time to recover but lowering his base salary in case he doesn't. Or he retires.

Double Edit: I forgot about Ekeler - so thats 5m less. If Telesco goes after Brady - he is going all in
                    or trading up for the QB....... alot depends on what we can do in FA...... Chargers just cut mebane and davis..... so we have even more FA money to throw at OL and DT.....

we also need to draft at least one FT all round RB and 2 speedy WR's..... Ekler is not a FT RB......

and you are right..... TT has got to nail this draft and be right whether trading up or staying put..... this draft has talent and we had better nail our picks.... and do a great job in FA......

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

or trading up for the QB....... alot depends on what we can do in FA...... Chargers just cut mebane and davis..... so we have even more FA money to throw at OL and DT.....

we also need to draft at least one FT all round RB and 2 speedy WR's..... Ekler is not a FT RB......

and you are right..... TT has got to nail this draft and be right whether trading up or staying put..... this draft has talent and we had better nail our picks.... and do a great job in FA......
                      by the way, the above was not advocating for Brady - I was just trying to make the math work and give the two options: Brady + draft OT at 6, WR, CB + nominal FA or plan B which is:

I like the idea of drafting your QB at 6 ; taking your cap space and getting Conklin or Fant at RT (Fant is going to get paid but maybe not as much as Conklin) --getting a DT like Reader or Pierce and seeing how much cap you have to give to Bosa.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

by the way, the above was not advocating for Brady - I was just trying to make the math work and give the two options: Brady + draft OT at 6, WR, CB + nominal FA or plan B which is:

I like the idea of drafting your QB at 6 ; taking your cap space and getting Conklin or Fant at RT (Fant is going to get paid but maybe not as much as Conklin) --getting a DT like Reader or Pierce and seeing how much cap you have to give to Bosa.

We have over $200 million in cap space in 2021. We have plenty of money to sign whoever we want. Joey’s deal should get done now.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We have over $200 million in cap space in 2021. We have plenty of money to sign whoever we want. Joey’s deal should get done now.
                          If the team doesn't sign Brady - I would take 5-6m and just give it to Bosa as a "start for your next deal"

Comment

Working...
                          X