POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Up For Tua?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
    The dream draft scenario is this:

1. CIN--Joe Burrow
    2. WAS--Chase Young
    3. DET--Jeffrey Okudah
    4. JAX (trade with NYG)--Tua Tagovailoa
    5. MIA--Justin Herbert
    6. LAC--Isaiah Simmons

Of course, even this assumes that we would not be stupid enough to take Love over Simmons. I feel good, but not great about the chances we would take Simmons over Love in that situation.
    LOL...give it up dude...your "dream draft" is predicated on us drafting Trevor Lawrence next year...which will never happen.
    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

LOL...give it up dude...your "dream draft" is predicated on us drafting Trevor Lawrence next year...which will never happen.
      If we stay reasonably healthy next year, even with Taylor at QB, we'll likely be around a .500 team and won't come close to sniffing Lawrence or any other of the top QB prospects - which is why I am in favor of drafting a QB this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Your statement about my thought process is not accurate in part.

First, to state the obvious, every team wants Lawrence, who will be the clear #1 overall pick in next year's draft. I hope that the Chargers are able to maneuver to be able to draft him. Why wouldn't I want us to get the best player?

However, the other part of the equation which I think you are overlooking and that relates to this year's draft is that none of the so-called first round QBs are worth the #6 overall pick--regardless of the presence of Lawrence in next year's draft.

I think Herbert has the most upside of any of the highly touted QBs in this year's draft, but I would not take Herbert until the second half of the first round. If we traded back and got two first round picks, then I would be okay with taking Herbert in the first round.

Taking any of the QBs at #6 overall is simply a waste of draft capital, so my dream result is a dream result in part because it prevents our front office from doing something stupid and because it gets us to a player with great potential in Simmons and I would only take Chase Young over Simmons.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Your statement about my thought process is not accurate in part.

First, to state the obvious, every team wants Lawrence, who will be the clear #1 overall pick in next year's draft. I hope that the Chargers are able to maneuver to be able to draft him. Why wouldn't I want us to get the best player?

However, the other part of the equation which I think you are overlooking and that relates to this year's draft is that none of the so-called first round QBs are worth the #6 overall pick--regardless of the presence of Lawrence in next year's draft.

I think Herbert has the most upside of any of the highly touted QBs in this year's draft, but I would not take Herbert until the second half of the first round. If we traded back and got two first round picks, then I would be okay with taking Herbert in the first round.

Taking any of the QBs at #6 overall is simply a waste of draft capital, so my dream result is a dream result in part because it prevents our front office from doing something stupid and because it gets us to a player with great potential in Simmons and I would only take Chase Young over Simmons.
          Disagree and Herbert wont make it to the second half of the first round. QBs always get over drafted whether they deserve to be or not. How else does Blaine Gabbart go #10? He wasnt very good on college. Neither was Kyle Boller who went 12th ...and Baltimore traded up for him.

Its just the way it is. I dont think Herbert is #6 QB worthy but maybe Carlolina does at #7, maybe Jax does and takes him at #9 if we trade back.
          You act like everything will just fall in place for us. You also act like we wil be the only team that will want Lawrence. Both are foolish thinking.

I think some are worthy of #6....its just that one wont happen for us without trading the farm and the other is a china doll that i just cant draft there with good conscience. I think Herbert has potentual but needs some work. Id rather use a 2nd on him but no way that that will happen so in reality, i think we have to pick him at #6....which is why i have him there in my sig.
          You saying he has the most potentual is a reason alone to use #6 on him. You probably arent the only one who thinks that and ther are teams right behind us that need a QB with potentual.

Every draft pick is potentual.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-27-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

What...you don't want to try the Suck for Luck type campaign..."Lose for Lawrence!" campaign is possible for any team.
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Teams always overdraft QBs because it's the most important position in football by a large margin. Herbert won't make it out of the top 10. He may not make it out of the top 5, depending on how scared teams are of Tua's injury history. If the Chargers want one of those two, they may have to trade up. Even if wanted to draft BPA and go for Hurts in the second round, there is no guarantee he is available at 37 as some team could take a flyer and vastly overdraft him.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Teams always overdraft QBs because it's the most important position in football by a large margin. Herbert won't make it out of the top 10. He may not make it out of the top 5, depending on how scared teams are of Tua's injury history. If the Chargers want one of those two, they may have to trade up. Even if wanted to draft BPA and go for Hurts in the second round, there is no guarantee he is available at 37 as some team could take a flyer and vastly overdraft him.
                That is true....... bottom line is if your team needs a QB, like Chargers do, you have to do your homework and if there are actually one or 2 that you truly believe will be elite in NFL, then you have to do whatever it takes to get them. If they are worth it at 10 or 15, they are still worth it at 6 cause you only have one QB and they won't last till 2nd round when there are about a dozen or so teams needing a QB, odds are there will be trades and like you said teams will need to jump up above other teams to get the QB they want.......

If Chargers love Tua, they will have to jump up to 2, assuming that Burrow goes number one to CIN or whatever team trades up with CIN(MIA or NE might)........ My guess is that 3 or 4 QB's will be drafted in top 6 players...... with at least 2 trades.......

Its a QB driven game..... art always has been........ you need a great QB to make great plays against great defenses...... because perfect throw treats perfect coverage every time...... you cannot double cover everyone...... and some receivers even beat double coverage..... that is why a number of teams will be trying to trade up for the top 4 QB's......

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If we stay reasonably healthy next year, even with Taylor at QB, we'll likely be around a .500 team and won't come close to sniffing Lawrence or any other of the top QB prospects - which is why I am in favor of drafting a QB this year.
                  exactly!...... what ivvi been saying for months......this is our best opportunity.....

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2019
                    • Send PM

If Chargers are in close draft position for Lawrence next year TT and Lynn need to be fired.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

What if Herbert become Josh Rosen 2.0 ?

Then what ?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Then what ?
                        trade him to Miami?
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Then what ?
                          What if Tua can't stay healthy? What if Hurts never learns to read a defense? What if Love plays like he did last year and not the year before? What if Lawrence plays like he did in the national championship game?

Drafting a QB is a total crapshoot.

Comment

Working...
                          X