POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Up For Tua?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Comment

• Blue Thunder
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Arlington, TX
      • Send PM

PLEASE, Chargers, don't trade up for Tua or anyone else!

We WILL get a game changer at #6 (hopefully Simmons, Young, or Okudah) if we stay put. Plus, we need to hang on to all of our picks, imo.
      Last edited by Blue Thunder; 04-04-2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

I'm getting more and more on the Simmons bandwagon. The old cliche Defenses win Championships.... He and DJ together. Good corners some good young D linemen. Bosa. Could make the season extremely fun to watch. Simmons if available or Wills Jr OT.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Ya know, Simmons plus Hurts is pretty splashy.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

So....we happen to be picking high this year, but we are gonna pass on the opportunity to secure a top ten talent as our future QB...and eat up a bunch of cap space that has taken years to get back,( with a bunch of our home grown stars due for resigning next year), to bring in older player who also is an injury risk....

Where is the silver lining?

Gonna say pass...
            I mean if you put it that way then it’s obvious. But if we took your biased selling of the point as fact then we would be making an incorrect decision.

Newton has a proven upside that none of the quarterbacks has and newton also has a higher proven ceiling than any of these quarterbacks has.

if we were rebuilding and we didn’t just spend 30 million on 30+ year old vets than yeah I might agree. But this team obviously wants to win now and drafting a rookie no matter if it’s Payton flipping Manning, is going to cost at LEAST.a Lost year in growing pains.

This team is not positioned to wait for a rookie to play though their growing pains. ( multiple big contracts coming up, multiple 2-3 year contracts with veterans). This team was obviously built to compete now and Cam allows us to do that now, rookies don’t and TT to a point.

imho I like Cam and trading back into the first for Love. The Chargers not taking a qb at 6 would push more qbs down the board and he should be available in the Lamar Jackson range.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I mean if you put it that way then it’s obvious. But if we took your biased selling of the point as fact then we would be making an incorrect decision.

Newton has a proven upside that none of the quarterbacks has and newton also has a higher proven ceiling than any of these quarterbacks has.

if we were rebuilding and we didn’t just spend 30 million on 30+ year old vets than yeah I might agree. But this team obviously wants to win now and drafting a rookie no matter if it’s Payton flipping Manning, is going to cost at LEAST.a Lost year in growing pains.

This team is not positioned to wait for a rookie to play though their growing pains. ( multiple big contracts coming up, multiple 2-3 year contracts with veterans). This team was obviously built to compete now and Cam allows us to do that now, rookies don’t and TT to a point.

imho I like Cam and trading back into the first for Love. The Chargers not taking a qb at 6 would push more qbs down the board and he should be available in the Lamar Jackson range.

Biased how? I stated facts....and they didn't paint a very good picture. Your claim that they don't support your conclusion that we would be "making an incorrect decision" is bias on your part.

We are picking top ten, it is a chance to secure a top ten talent for QB in Tua, and Cam is an older player, injury risk as well, who will demand a good chunk of cap space that we will be needing soon to sign our own players. None of that is bias...it just is.

Now, if you think, under those circumstances, you get Cam anyways...cuz he might turn out to be awesome...ok. But I wasn't being biased...I was laying it out "as is"...and then stating my position, which is "no thanks!!"
              The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Biased how? I stated facts....and they didn't paint a very good picture. Your claim that they don't support your conclusion that we would be "making an incorrect decision" is bias on your part.

We are picking top ten, it is a chance to secure a top ten talent for QB in Tua, and Cam is an older player, injury risk as well, who will demand a good chunk of cap space that we will be needing soon to sign our own players. None of that is bias...it just is.

Now, if you think, under those circumstances, you get Cam anyways...cuz he might turn out to be awesome...ok. But I wasn't being biased...I was laying it out "as is"...and then stating my position, which is "no thanks!!"
                You state carefully selective facts, when the picture is slightly more complicated.

I have two problems selecting Tua at #6 (and even more at moving up):
                1. You could potentially bypass a potential All Pro LT/ linebacker/ cornerback when selecting Tua
                2. Tua's potential for injury might hamstring the Chargers for years, while they can get out quickly from under an injury to Cam Newton
                3. While Tua's footwork, short range accuracy, & ability to read defenses on the college level are elite traits, his arm strength is average at best.
                Chris Simms has noted that a lot of his completions are not pro style throws. Will pro defenses force him into making the types of throws that
                challenges his limited arm strength? Tua might be a high floor low ceiling type of guy.
                4. Newton's 2018 season was not a big drop off from his MVP type year. He's only 30 and can certainly bounce back if fully healthy to return

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

You state carefully selective facts, when the picture is slightly more complicated.

I have two problems selecting Tua at #6 (and even more at moving up):
                  1. You could potentially bypass a potential All Pro LT/ linebacker/ cornerback when selecting Tua
                  2. Tua's potential for injury might hamstring the Chargers for years, while they can get out quickly from under an injury to Cam Newton
                  3. While Tua's footwork, short range accuracy, & ability to read defenses on the college level are elite traits, his arm strength is average at best.
                  Chris Simms has noted that a lot of his completions are not pro style throws. Will pro defenses force him into making the types of throws that
                  challenges his limited arm strength? Tua might be a high floor low ceiling type of guy.
                  4. Newton's 2018 season was not a big drop off from his MVP type year. He's only 30 and can certainly bounce back if fully healthy to return
                  Nope...not carefully selected. Just relevant. Chris Simms? LOL....

The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

While i might laugh with you.......i much rather listen to what he has to say than the non athlete that is Florio.

Also, damn near all the best HCs, possition coaches and baseball managers are players that were not the best players in their sport :shrug:

Comment

• Bolts27
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Burlington Ontario Canada
                      • Self-Employed
                      • Send PM

Lone Bolt Topcat I personally agree with you both .. The injury concern, having to trade up losing out on needed draft picks, to sign someone to be the ":Future" is to much of a s scare for me. No knock on the potential skill set being possibly the top pick with to potential to be a day one starter. Smaller stature in relation to today's prototypical QB, combined with the hip injury specifically sends up red flags. There's no one that would argue the pace and physicality of the NFL is a entire different world from College.. I'm personally a fan of Herbert, but as said whoever they draft I'll support from the moment it happens..

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

I wouldnt trade up for Tua. Im ok with staying at 6 and trade out if our top guys arent there but I think we get somebody we covet. I really want a Left Tackle in this draft unless the heavens rain down a free agent from a cap hit. I just think we need an anchor to shore up that position. I like what I see in Tua and if he has indeed healed well and hes at 6 I have no issue taking him and would be excited to back him. I just think we have many directions to go which is ideal.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Relevant and incomplete: much like the opinion of an ex NFL quarterback.

Comment

Working...
                          X