• Show
Clear All
  • LarryAW
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

QB to TE is truly a Charger tradition
    We saw flashes of what it could look like when Herb connected with Mark Andrews in the probowl
    I get it was just the meaningless probowl, but I think that instant connection was indicative of what we can potentially see with an elite TE.

Washington is my guy and if Bowers wasn't on the same Georgia team, Washington would have many more snaps and tons more production and development, and we would all be talking about him as a top 15 talent. Imho.
    Definition of "mismatch"
    We have an even stronger tradition of running backs who can run between the tackles in limited space. Since we aren't the Chiefs and injuries happen, it would have been nice to have had a big back when we faced the Raiders in the 2021 finale. Further, there is no way on God's earth JAX would have come back from a 27-7 halftime deficit if we would have had a between-the-tackles back. N - O - N - E.

It would be optimal if Spiller is capable of being that guy, since he's already under the Salary Cap. Only the organization knows that. Under the best of circumstances, Ekeler is a receiving back and a change-of-pace back. Wouldn't it be nice to have the back Ekeler would be the change-of-pace for (if Spiller ain't the guy)?

Comment

• LarryAW
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

We have an even stronger tradition of running backs who can run between the tackles in limited space. Since we aren't the Chiefs and injuries happen, it would have been nice to have had a big back when we faced the Raiders in the 2021 finale. Further, there is no way on God's earth JAX would have come back from a 27-7 halftime deficit if we would have had a between-the-tackles back. N - O - N - E.

It would be optimal if Spiller is capable of being that guy, since he's already under the Salary Cap. Only the organization knows that. Under the best of circumstances, Ekeler is a receiving back and a change-of-pace back. Wouldn't it be nice to have the back Ekeler would be the change-of-pace for (if Spiller ain't the guy)?
      BTW, I actually think Ekeler can do the job if he had a big complement back for short-yardage situations. Shouldn't cost a high draft pick or that much money. Just need a competent GM to find him.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

I wonder if that includes the games where he drove down and gave us the lead late only to have the defense blow it? It’s happened numerous times.
        About four of the game winning drives credited to Mahomes came against us after Herbert got us ahead late. Mahomes to Kelce is poison to our Bolts. We need a guy like Kelce. Herbert to Kincaid for the win!!!!!!!
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

I don't Spiller is that kind of back. He's slippery after he gets in the open but he doesn't seem to have above average strength

Earlier today I saw a clip of the 2014 Bolts. I came away from that thinking we need another TE like Gates. He was making plays all over the field. He made three TD catches in the game and two of them were one-handed - one with a DB having ahold of his right arm. Seeing it again also reminded me that Rivers was a darn good QB. We love Herbert so much that I think we tend to forget how good Rivers was.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I don't Spiller is that kind of back. He's slippery after he gets in the open but he doesn't seem to have above average strength

Earlier today I saw a clip of the 2014 Bolts. I came away from that thinking we need another TE like Gates. He was making plays all over the field. He made three TD catches in the game and two of them were one-handed - one with a DB having ahold of his right arm. Seeing it again also reminded me that Rivers was a darn good QB. We love Herbert so much that I think we tend to forget how good Rivers was.
            Rivers didn't have Herbert's arm but he was damn good and accurate

Comment

• LarryAW
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Not my impression that he could do it, either. Just giving him the benefit of the doubt since he's invisible.

You have to have appreciated PR's quick reads, quick trigger and timing. If PR had Justin's arm, he would have been unstoppable. Most fans no doubt remember all the wins in the 2006 season and LT's MVP. But, in back-to-back road games against the Bengals & Broncos (on MNF), PR brought the Chargers back from huge halftime deficits. I think it was a record at the time. He seemed to become a little more jittery later in his career, to me, and I wonder if he felt too much pressure. Regardless, I think he belongs in the Hall of Fame (as well as the People's Hall of Fame). I loved both PR and AG. AG's blocking-out ability in the NFL was amazing, as well his ability to adapt to the NFL after just playing basketball in college. He additionally belongs in the People's Hall of Fame. Pretty fortunate to have watched those two in more ways than one. I wouldn't hesitate to grab a TE like AG.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

PR#1 in my heart.
                G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Herbert's 25-24 win-loss record is the lowest winning percentage (.510) of the big four QBs of the 2020 draft. But he still has more wins than Burrow (24), Hurts (23) or Tua (21). His 49 NFL starts leads the pack; Burrow has 42 while Tua/Hurts each have 34. Herbert has started every game since being named the starter week 2 of his rookie season. He's the only one of the four who has not missed a start due to injury. Herbert has more passing yards (14,089) and TD passes (94) than the other three; those numbers are in fact NFL records for a QB through his first three seasons - facts we already know. But his 49 starts in his first three seasons also has to be an NFL record.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Herbert's 25-24 win-loss record is the lowest winning percentage (.510) of the big four QBs of the 2020 draft. But he still has more wins than Burrow (24), Hurts (23) or Tua (21). His 49 NFL starts leads the pack; Burrow has 42 while Tua/Hurts each have 34. Herbert has started every game since being named the starter week 2 of his rookie season. He's the only one of the four who has not missed a start due to injury. Herbert has more passing yards (14,089) and TD passes (94) than the other three; those numbers are in fact NFL records for a QB through his first three seasons - facts we already know. But his 49 starts in his first three seasons also has to be an NFL record.
                    Winning is the only thing that truly matters. May be too bad for Herbert that he’s on the Chargers and saddled with subpar coaching g and FO. He was not named the week 2 starter. He was a last minute starter when the Charger team doctor punctured Tyrod’s lung. Otherwise he may not have started his entire rookie season

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Top QBs are drafted by lousy teams nearly every time. Herbert's W % has gone up every year and 2023 is looking good.

Comment

• LarryAW
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        PR#1 in my heart.
                        Most Chargers fans loved PR, and most opposing fans didn't know who he was IMHO.

Remember when two defensive players and PR were yelling something toward Cutler? Someone reported that Rivers was on the sidelines throwing F-Bombs. As we all know, PR never cursed at all. I'm sure that gave millions of fans the wrong impression. Probably didn't bother PR, but it really pissed me off.

Comment

• LarryAW
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think Lombardi was just that bad in setting things up..."Overwhelmed"
                          I think he was especially bad making halftime adjustments. No longer our problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X