• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scoregon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Not exactly....lol ....but I've played every position on a football field except kicker from my teen age years all the way till my late 40's...when my knees and ankles simply could not take the abuse anymore.....
    I dont begin to know everything, but I know enough to know how hard certain positions are to play and more importantly I know enough to know when to tell that others know what they are talking about. There are alot of ex players, coaches and scouts who enjoy breaking down film in fine details and some of them post these breakdowns on the internet for all to see and learn from.

There are alot of other "experts"(as in ex players, coaches, scouts) who have made many generalizations about Hebert as well as other players without specifying details or pointing out the issues on film. It does not mean that they are right or wrong, because without the specifics, its hard to know or understand exactly what they are referring to so one can believe their conclusions. I agree without the details, its just an opinion, that's why I have provided links to well made videos that explain some of those details.

Based on all that I have read, listened to or seen, I believe that there is alot of validity to many of the criticisms of Heberts game. Some of those experts believe some of the flaws can be fixed some might not. That is probably why most "experts" are recommending he sit for his first year or most of it.

That all being said, after seeing and listening to Hebert's long press conference, it is obvious that Hebert is a very, very nice, smart, humble, extremely likable kid. He is maybe a nicer, more likable guy than Rivers. He was so nice, humble and so extremely happy and positive about becoming a Charger, sounded like it was his life long dream....he almost made me cry. He reminded me about how happy and confident of a Chargers fan I used to feel long long ago during Air Coryell days..... and for a short time under Boss Ross...... I dont think I've ever heard a fan or a player so happy to be part of the Chargers......... though LT made a hell of a passionate speech when he retired, which is why we all love him as a player and a person.....

As a die hard Chargers fan of 50 years, the Spanos organization has done so many negative things, bad decisions, that hurt the team and hurt the fan base(like moving to LA) that I, and many other Chargers fans have become far more negative, depressed, and jaded than we ever wanted to be...... its become so bad that we now expect the negative, we expect disaster, we expect failure....... which is sad...... as Chargers fans we have grown used to the negativity and low expectations but it was sadly a huge shock to some Oregon fans..... they were right, none of us should be so negative...even during such stressful times....pandemic, unemployment, etc...... I appologize if I have offended anyone....that is never my intention.....

I don't know if Hebert will ultimately be a good QB, great QB, HOF QB, or even a failure......... BUT after hearing him talk and being so positive about the Chargers, he actually made me start to feel better and feel like there is actually reason for hope! I dont know how good or bad Hebert will be, but it is obvious that he will be giving it his all every day to get better and better. He is too likable not to like him ands want him to succeed. Whether Hebert ends up being great or not great, maybe his positive attitude will help lift the spirits of both the team and not fan base. His great attitude might even grow the fan fanbase. It is almost impossible not to like him.

He may or may not have been the best QB in the draft, but maybe he is the best PERSON to be the face of this franchise! His positive attitude is what the team and long term fans needed. He is a Charger now, so I'm not going to try not to say anything negative about him anymore. I'm going to root hard for him to be his best and for the Chargers to win consistently, like I have done for Rivers, LT, Seau, and many others.......

That's a classy post. Justin Herbert is as genuine as elite athletes come these days. It's what makes me like him enough to come here and chop it up with his new fans. Hopefully he'll play well enough to win over even the biggest skeptics here. I know he'll do everything in his power to make that happen...and do it with class.

Comment

• AZBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Guys, this is a good pick.....raw talent, good kid, smart as heck , 4.0 grade average....stepping up to the pros is fast and furious, you need to process things much more quickly, he has that gift......for you Tua lovers, the dude scored 13 on the wonderlink test, not good, worst QB score in the draft...... don't be surprised he struggles and comes along slowly.

Comment

• PR#1
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Love and Burrow smoked weed.

Thats why I liked the Herbert pick.

I want my qb to be straight as an arrow !!!

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AZBolt View Post
          Guys, this is a good pick.....raw talent, good kid, smart as heck , 4.0 grade average....stepping up to the pros is fast and furious, you need to process things much more quickly, he has that gift......for you Tua lovers, the dude scored 13 on the wonderlink test, not good, worst QB score in the draft...... don't be surprised he struggles and comes along slowly.
          the what?
          and that was fake news.
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Not exactly....lol ....but I've played every position on a football field except kicker from my teen age years all the way till my late 40's...when my knees and ankles simply could not take the abuse anymore.....
            I dont begin to know everything, but I know enough to know how hard certain positions are to play and more importantly I know enough to know when to tell that others know what they are talking about. There are alot of ex players, coaches and scouts who enjoy breaking down film in fine details and some of them post these breakdowns on the internet for all to see and learn from.

There are alot of other "experts"(as in ex players, coaches, scouts) who have made many generalizations about Hebert as well as other players without specifying details or pointing out the issues on film. It does not mean that they are right or wrong, because without the specifics, its hard to know or understand exactly what they are referring to so one can believe their conclusions. I agree without the details, its just an opinion, that's why I have provided links to well made videos that explain some of those details.

Based on all that I have read, listened to or seen, I believe that there is alot of validity to many of the criticisms of Heberts game. Some of those experts believe some of the flaws can be fixed some might not. That is probably why most "experts" are recommending he sit for his first year or most of it.

That all being said, after seeing and listening to Hebert's long press conference, it is obvious that Hebert is a very, very nice, smart, humble, extremely likable kid. He is maybe a nicer, more likable guy than Rivers. He was so nice, humble and so extremely happy and positive about becoming a Charger, sounded like it was his life long dream....he almost made me cry. He reminded me about how happy and confident of a Chargers fan I used to feel long long ago during Air Coryell days..... and for a short time under Boss Ross...... I dont think I've ever heard a fan or a player so happy to be part of the Chargers......... though LT made a hell of a passionate speech when he retired, which is why we all love him as a player and a person.....

As a die hard Chargers fan of 50 years, the Spanos organization has done so many negative things, bad decisions, that hurt the team and hurt the fan base(like moving to LA) that I, and many other Chargers fans have become far more negative, depressed, and jaded than we ever wanted to be...... its become so bad that we now expect the negative, we expect disaster, we expect failure....... which is sad...... as Chargers fans we have grown used to the negativity and low expectations but it was sadly a huge shock to some Oregon fans..... they were right, none of us should be so negative...even during such stressful times....pandemic, unemployment, etc...... I appologize if I have offended anyone....that is never my intention.....

I don't know if Hebert will ultimately be a good QB, great QB, HOF QB, or even a failure......... BUT after hearing him talk and being so positive about the Chargers, he actually made me start to feel better and feel like there is actually reason for hope! I dont know how good or bad Hebert will be, but it is obvious that he will be giving it his all every day to get better and better. He is too likable not to like him ands want him to succeed. Whether Hebert ends up being great or not great, maybe his positive attitude will help lift the spirits of both the team and not fan base. His great attitude might even grow the fan fanbase. It is almost impossible not to like him.

He may or may not have been the best QB in the draft, but maybe he is the best PERSON to be the face of this franchise! His positive attitude is what the team and long term fans needed. He is a Charger now, so I'm not going to try not to say anything negative about him anymore. I'm going to root hard for him to be his best and for the Chargers to win consistently, like I have done for Rivers, LT, Seau, and many others.......

Absolutely love your post!

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post

For some reason, I was thinking the same thing lol
              i 3rd that!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

the what?
                and that was fake news.
                Tom Telesco probably put it out there.

Comment

• JustAnotherFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Just another Duck fan joining the Charger bandwagon....
                  Or am I?

I grew up in Eugene, and my dad has season tickets to the Ducks. I watched Fouts play in a Duck uniform.
                  (Did you know Fouts was a running QB in college, until he blew out his knee? Did you know that in college, Fouts threw 37 tds and 54 ints?)

I moved to San Diego in the early '80s and became a Charger fan. I moved away at the end of the decade, and left the Chargers behind.

So, this is more of a coming back for me.

My thoughts on Herbert.

The critics are not completely wrong, Herbert is VERY VERY VERY inconsistent. When he is good, he looks like the best QB in the draft (2019 Colorado game.) When he is bad, he looks like a late round QB (2019 Arizona State game.)

This inconsistency is in ALL aspects of his game, his accuracy, his anticipation, his reading of defenses. Sometimes he does all 3 amazingly well, sometimes amazingly poorly.
                  Anybody who says he does anything poorly is wrong, just like anybody who says he does anything really well is wrong. He does EVERYTHING inconsistently.
                  Several very respected youtube draft analysis gurus did extensive videos on Herbert and basically said "I cant evaluate him, sometimes he is the best I have ever seen, sometimes he looks so bad I question if he should be drafted." Some of these videos are actually in the early pages of this thread.

So, the big question is....
                  Can he be coached up to be consistently good?

Nobody doubts his potential, his absurdly amazing arm strength, his above average running ability, his size, his intelligence, his sterling character.

But can he be coached up to be consistently good?

Nobody can say in advance, if he can.

The most positive thing I can say on this, the most crucial issue for Herbert, is that in addition to being Senior Bowl MVP, he was Practice Senior Bowl MVP. This is sort of a "most coachable" award, and a VERY good sign for somebody who desperately needs to be coached up to be consistently good.

Time will tell.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Scoregon View Post
                    One thing that probably isn't common knowledge among most folks here is that Hebert never did the camp circuit or had extra quarterback coaching. I think is worth mentioning in this day and age of private qb coaches working with kids in high school or even sooner, that the pre-draft process is the first time Justin has ever worked with a quarterback coach other than those on his teams. So some of the excellent throwing sessions at the senior bowl, combine, and pro day, may represent some real improvement and not just him being well suited to those environments (still likely part of it). I think particularly when it comes to footwork, he seems to have made some genuine improvement.
                    That's an awesome point!

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

welcome justanotherfan, thanks for the fair perspective.
                      if i could draw up a qb's physical ability, it would look a lot like JH
                      I think a lot of his success will depend on the coaching around him
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
                        Just another Duck fan joining the Charger bandwagon....
                        Or am I?

I grew up in Eugene, and my dad has season tickets to the Ducks. I watched Fouts play in a Duck uniform.
                        (Did you know Fouts was a running QB in college, until he blew out his knee? Did you know that in college, Fouts threw 37 tds and 54 ints?)

I moved to San Diego in the early '80s and became a Charger fan. I moved away at the end of the decade, and left the Chargers behind.

So, this is more of a coming back for me.

My thoughts on Herbert.

The critics are not completely wrong, Herbert is VERY VERY VERY inconsistent. When he is good, he looks like the best QB in the draft (2019 Colorado game.) When he is bad, he looks like a late round QB (2019 Arizona State game.)

This inconsistency is in ALL aspects of his game, his accuracy, his anticipation, his reading of defenses. Sometimes he does all 3 amazingly well, sometimes amazingly poorly.
                        Anybody who says he does anything poorly is wrong, just like anybody who says he does anything really well is wrong. He does EVERYTHING inconsistently.
                        Several very respected youtube draft analysis gurus did extensive videos on Herbert and basically said "I cant evaluate him, sometimes he is the best I have ever seen, sometimes he looks so bad I question if he should be drafted." Some of these videos are actually in the early pages of this thread.

So, the big question is....
                        Can he be coached up to be consistently good?

Nobody doubts his potential, his absurdly amazing arm strength, his above average running ability, his size, his intelligence, his sterling character.

But can he be coached up to be consistently good?

Nobody can say in advance, if he can.

The most positive thing I can say on this, the most crucial issue for Herbert, is that in addition to being Senior Bowl MVP, he was Practice Senior Bowl MVP. This is sort of a "most coachable" award, and a VERY good sign for somebody who desperately needs to be coached up to be consistently good.

Time will tell.
                        You fans from Oregon know how to post!!!

Comment

• ETicket
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

herbie2.jpg

Just bored... and trying to keep positive!

Comment

Working...
                          X