• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Scoregon View Post
    Hey there, I'm an Oregon alum who has watched every minute that Justin Herbert played for the Ducks. I'll now be cheering for the Chargers and while I certainly don't have the connection to the team you all do, I hope the Herbert pick can ultimately lead to some serious success for the Bolts.

So here are some thoughts from someone who is admittedly biased, but also can provide some information/context that may not have been posted here yet. I've watched every snap he has played during his Oregon career and digested tons of information (both reported and unreported) about the team. Here is my take on the typical narratives you see out there nationally:

- He has elite physical traits. The arm talent is indeed very high end. In his first appearance as a skinny true freshman (ugly loss to Pac-champ Washington team), you could see the ball explode off his hand. The arm is legit and natural, plus his ball placement and touch improved each year of his career. He has excellent movement skills for a man his size and will use his legs to keep the chains moving (his senior year they only turned him loose on designed runs in big games late in the season and it was very effective when they did). He's not Cam Newton running the ball, but he will use his legs effectively.

-He isn't full of swagger, so he can't lead a locker room full of men. This one is more complicated. He is a cerebral guy and naturally on the quiet side, so as a true Freshman, he was definitely not a vocal leader. The narrative took on a life of it's own though during his sophomore year, gaining a ton a steam and staying power in large part because his second head coach, Willie Taggart, decided to try and publicly motivate him to become a more vocal leader and called him out in the media. This was a dick move that probably hurt Herbert's stock; though he has said it was all good for him long term, because the questions helped him push himself to grow as a person and QB. The combination of it being something that a head coach put out in the public and there being some underlying truth, made this a bigger narrative than it would have been for other similar players with a less rah-rah leadership style (a guy like Jalen Hurts never has his leadership questioned, even though he is actually more quiet than Herbert).

If you're looking for outspoken swagger, he's definitely not your guy, but he was universally respected by his Oregon teammates and was the unquestioned leader of the Oregon offense the past two seasons, including during times when coaches weren't around like summer workouts. It is possible he is "too humble," as he definitely has a tendency to defer to experience, though people close to the program say he's been plenty confident around his teammates/coaches during his junior and senior seasons. It's possible being humble and realistic in public (like saying he doesn't know for sure that he's ready to start day one since he's never seen the speed of the nfl game) might not be a trait you want in an NFL qb...or you could say this is a guy who has found a way to be extremely successful facing every major challenge he's faced in his life (on and off the field, where he was a 4.0 student), so maybe having this realistic point of view is how he processes challenges effectively (basically what people who know him say in his defense).

- He was good, but not great at Oregon. Two things here as an Oregon fan:
    1. I don't totally disagree with this characterization, though I don't think it's particularly meaningful in his evaluation. What matters is how good he was compared to how good the other guys (Burrow, Tua, Love) would have been in the same situation. Obviously it's very hard to say, though I think with Burrow in particular, there's a really good argument that he looked significantly worse than Herbert when he was in a similar, or better, situation than him in 2018 at LSU. Tua is harder because his situation has always been off the charts and his play has been consistently elite as well. Herbert played in three different systems, had a pretty conservative head coach/OC his last two seasons, and played with some sub-standard receiving groups (next point).

2. When people say he wasn't as good as he "should have been" at Oregon, they are under-emphasizing how poorly the Ducks' receivers played, particularly in 2018, but in 2019 as well. Some of it was injuries and youth, but a lot was just lack of talent and mistakes. In 2018, Oregon receivers had 52 drops, which equates to a 14% drop rate. For comparison, I found a graphic on SEC drop rates for '18 and Bama was 4.5% (14 drops), which is elite, but gives you an idea how bad 52 drops truly is. There were 8 dropped touchdown passes among the 52 and coaches said it was over 800 yards of drops. Now obviously, you expect some drops, so you wouldn't just add 800 yards and 8 TD's to his season stats, but it probably wouldn't be far off that with a normal drop rate, as many of those drops stopped drives and kept the team from scoring more points. In 2019, Oregon "only" had 35 drops, but that was still the most in the pac-12. In addition to all the drops, the Ducks receivers did not consistently get open, particularly against good defenses. When I think about what Justin Herbert would have looked like if he was throwing to guys like Chase, Jefferson, Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, etc., I know it would have been silly and I'm pretty sure everyone would be talking about how he's such a winner, rather than questioning his intangibles.

I know this is a super long post and plenty of people won't bother to read it, but if you were one of the persistent ones who read all the way to the end, I hope it was worth your time. If you have any questions about Hebert from an Oregon perspective, feel free to ask.
    How was his OL?

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Comment

• pacstud
          Black Belt Poster
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

I watched Washington, Auburn, and Utah (PAC Title game) games. Feeling a little better. I hate highlight films and "analysis" videos so I avoided those because they're fucking terrible and stupid.

He is definitely a project and god help us if we need him year 1, but he clearly has some good tools to work with.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

This says a ton to me..........

Herbert said he has not yet discussed his role with the Chargers.

"That was never really brought up," Herbert said. "They asked me how I felt about it, and I said that I'm going to do everything I can to be the best quarterback I can be. If I'm the guy, that's great. I love playing football, and I want to be the guy, but if I have to sit back and learn, I'm going to do everything I can to become the quarterback I need to be."
            Herbert is considered a well-rounded quarterback with excellent arm strength and agility outside the pocket. He also is a proven winner. Despite being projected as a first-round pick as a junior, Herbert returned to Oregon for his final season of eligibility and led the Ducks to victories in the Pac-12 championship game and the Rose Bowl.

"To be able to finish this past year off with our group of seniors to win the Rose Bowl and to be where we are today -- it's validation," Herbert said.

Between the 2018 and 2019 seasons, Herbert's completion rate jumped from 59% to 67%, the sixth-largest increase in the FBS. His yards per attempt also climbed from 7.8 to 8.1, and he went from throwing 29 touchdown passes to 32, while his interceptions dropped from eight to six.

Herbert finished his senior season with 3,471 passing yards (third best in the Pac-12) and 32 passing touchdowns (second best), capping it by being named offensive MVP of the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day.
            Herbert was named MVP at the Senior Bowl, where also he impressed scouts with his demeanor in practices. Although he is known to be introverted, his performance in Mobile, Alabama, helped ease concerns about his ability as a leader ahead of the draft.

"If you ask anyone at our facility at Oregon, they'd tell you differently," Herbert said, when asked about concerns regarding his leadership. "I know what type of leader I am. I'm genuine, I'm real, I'm myself. When something needs to be said, I don't have a problem saying it.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
              The reason I'm so bummed about the pick( other than skipping an elite defender) is that had PR been our QB going into 2020, Herbert doesn't go until the second half of the 1st round, if that. It's Telesco taking guys like DJ,Chris Watt, Pipkens, Melvin G, Mike W( I'm sure there are others) before their predicted slot. Seems like he's always taking a position of need as opposed to selecting the better football players( you know, the guys that help you win football games)
              Your top picks( especially guys in the top 10) need to be immediate starters and have an impact. Herbert isn't that guy( unless the team wants to throw him out there and get killed- like a Tim Couch or David Carr- and have him be out of the NFL by the end of his rookie contract)
              As a fan, I'll hope the Chargers can spend the next 20 months teaching this kid some of the fundamentals he's obviously missing( quick release, pace,anticipation,etc.) The drafting of Murray helps ease the pain of this pick but at the same time, costs us a 3rd. Would we have not been better off( as many have mentioned so far here on the board) taking the better defender in Simmons and a comparable QB in Hurts in the 2nd, and keeping a hold of our valuable draft capital?
              Anyway, I'll be a Justin Herbert fan when he does take the field in Powder Blues.
              Until then......BOLT UP!
              I wanted an OT at 6th. So I'm more upset about that than missing out on Simmons. With that being said, Hurts isn't comparable to Herbert IMO. At least not physically. They definitely have some of the same weaknesses though.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post
                I watched Washington, Auburn, and Utah (PAC Title game) games. Feeling a little better. I hate highlight films and "analysis" videos so I avoided those because they're fucking terrible and stupid.

He is definitely a project and god help us if we need him year 1, but he clearly has some good tools to work with.
                He’ll sit year 1 for sure. His footwork, drop mechanics, and needs to shorten his throwing motion a tad. That is what a QB coach is for. He is a DUDE though!
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• PR#1
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

If we start off 0-4, I say bring the rookie in !!!

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    What’s Herbert’s floor? Tyrod Taylor?
                    Herbert's floor is Blaine Gabbert, Kyle Boller, or any other bust.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                      This says a ton to me..........

I thought football doesnt matter to him?
                      that never made sense to me.
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

We need a qb whisperer
                        anyone available?
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                          I'd like to thank the Oregon fans who joined and posted here. Thank you and welcome to the Powder Blues.

I can understand people not liking the pick, I don't understand shitting all over someone based on projection.

FWIW, Oregon won the Pac 12, and the Rose Bowl, and Herbert probably won't have another offensive teammate drafted. (maybe 1?)
                          -Compare that to Tua, or Burrow.
                          -Look what Love did at Utah his senior season with less talent around him...his numbers fell off. Herbert kept getting better.

I see a smart kid, who is a hard worker, and has all the physical characteristics you want.

Maybe he won't work out, but jeez, give him a shot.

Another note: He's not Carson Wentz or Josh Allen. Both of those guys ran a lot more. He's similar to them in size, and he's capable of running. But he doesn't run like that.

Tyrod will be the QB this year. And if he gets hurt, Stick might play first. That's how it may go. Who knows? I like his potential, though. 6'6" guys with arms like that, and mobility don't grow on trees.

Also (unrelated) It's BURROW .... NOT Burrows. There is no S.
                          Herbert is actually faster than either Wentz or Allen.

Comment

Working...
                          X