• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    Just another Duck fan joining the Charger bandwagon....
    Or am I?

I grew up in Eugene, and my dad has season tickets to the Ducks. I watched Fouts play in a Duck uniform.
    (Did you know Fouts was a running QB in college, until he blew out his knee? Did you know that in college, Fouts threw 37 tds and 54 ints?)

I moved to San Diego in the early '80s and became a Charger fan. I moved away at the end of the decade, and left the Chargers behind.

So, this is more of a coming back for me.

My thoughts on Herbert.

The critics are not completely wrong, Herbert is VERY VERY VERY inconsistent. When he is good, he looks like the best QB in the draft (2019 Colorado game.) When he is bad, he looks like a late round QB (2019 Arizona State game.)

This inconsistency is in ALL aspects of his game, his accuracy, his anticipation, his reading of defenses. Sometimes he does all 3 amazingly well, sometimes amazingly poorly.
    Anybody who says he does anything poorly is wrong, just like anybody who says he does anything really well is wrong. He does EVERYTHING inconsistently.
    Several very respected youtube draft analysis gurus did extensive videos on Herbert and basically said "I cant evaluate him, sometimes he is the best I have ever seen, sometimes he looks so bad I question if he should be drafted." Some of these videos are actually in the early pages of this thread.

So, the big question is....
    Can he be coached up to be consistently good?

Nobody doubts his potential, his absurdly amazing arm strength, his above average running ability, his size, his intelligence, his sterling character.

But can he be coached up to be consistently good?

Nobody can say in advance, if he can.

The most positive thing I can say on this, the most crucial issue for Herbert, is that in addition to being Senior Bowl MVP, he was Practice Senior Bowl MVP. This is sort of a "most coachable" award, and a VERY good sign for somebody who desperately needs to be coached up to be consistently good.

Time will tell.
    Welcome to the Blues man. Good take. Good to have you. Cheers.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

At least Herbert has the work ethic part down. It's a good read if anyone's interesting.

After passing up the NFL's millions to return to Oregon, Eugene native Justin Herbert is making the most of it.

Herbert leaves for the football facility around 5:30 each morning and doesn’t return to his apartment until around 8 p.m. He does most of his solitary film study in the fourth-floor quarterback meeting room, which Arroyo has started referring to as Herbert’s office. “I’ve told him we’ll get him a cot and a little fridge to put in the corner if he wants,” head coach Mario Cristobal says.

Comment

• Parcells
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I love hearing about a good work ethic.

For argument's sake, I'll concede that he can become a good (or hopefully better) quarterback with good coaching. I don't feel like I trust our coaching to develop a raw QB prospect like Herbert.

I hope Telesco looks at this pick and sees his job as being tied to Herbert. With that in mind, I hope he has two primary goals:
        1. Make sure he does whatever it takes to help his development. Hopefully they have a plan to add additional coaches to work with Herbert or have strong reason to believe they already have the right coach(es) to facilitate his development. I doubt that AL is gonna be that guy. I’m not a fan of AL, but as a former RB I don’t think he has much to offer Herbert with regards to developing at the QB position.
        2. Keep him protected. Focus on developing an elite O-line. Brady didn’t always have great skill position players. He always had a good to great O-line.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Somebody melded video of Herbert throwing and Allen, Ekeler, Williams and Henry catching. It's cool.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

The disturbing part of the Chargers staff is we have a rookie QB, but no dedicated QB coach. Last year Steichen started the year as the QB coach, and got promoted when Whiz got fired, but they haven't hired a replacement. I think Steichen did a good job with Rivers, since he was the QB coach for some of Rivers recent success.

The catch is that now Steichen has his QB, he has to start coming up with a plan of how they are going to put an offense together. The scheme itself will be the same playbook (with the usual year to year changes), but we run a multiple offense that has a lot of plays in it. A lot of the plays we run are things that are more for Phil, so those are going to be de-emphasized, while you put additional emphasis on other plays that Taylor and/or Hebert run better. I don't doubt he can do it, Steichen is a smart guy. But how is he going to do at doing that, and spending a lot of extra time with a backup, trying to develop.

The other issue is how much is AL going to concede the entire (near) future of the franchise is riding on Hebert? NFL teams are not designed to develop players. You have an offseason where the skill development takes place, along with some of TC. But as you get close to the season, it becomes more about getting ready to play the season, and by the time the season starts, there is very little skill development going on (for any position, not just QB). It would greatly accelerate Hebert's development if we set aside some time every day for Hebert and other young players to get some work on fundamentals. But there may be some cost to dedicating 15-20 minutes a day from game preparation to young player development, although I would argue that player development is the most important part of a successful franchise, since NFL rosters are in a constant state of flux, even when teams are not rebuilding (which is really bullshit, since they are constantly rebuilding, even the best teams).

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Agreed steve.
              that was part of my argument for why I wanted a more pro ready qb in Tua.
              this really feels like a situation where not everyone was on-board with the pick
              We beefed up the right side and didn’t hire a QB coach
              looks like a plan to draft Tua.
              any idea who is out there as a special consultant of perhaps full time qb coach?
              I hope there’s a coherent plan in place for JH
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                Agreed steve.
                that was part of my argument for why I wanted a more pro ready qb in Tua.
                this really feels like a situation where not everyone was on-board with the pick
                We beefed up the right side and didn’t hire a QB coach
                looks like a plan to draft Tua.
                any idea who is out there as a special consultant of perhaps full time qb coach?
                I hope there’s a coherent plan in place for JH
                I feel like a competent QB coach is easier to get than an OC. But it is strange that they haven't hired anyone or promoted from within yet. What's John Ramsdell doing these days?

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                  I love hearing about a good work ethic.

For argument's sake, I'll concede that he can become a good (or hopefully better) quarterback with good coaching. I don't feel like I trust our coaching to develop a raw QB prospect like Herbert.

I hope Telesco looks at this pick and sees his job as being tied to Herbert. With that in mind, I hope he has two primary goals:
                  1. Make sure he does whatever it takes to help his development. Hopefully they have a plan to add additional coaches to work with Herbert or have strong reason to believe they already have the right coach(es) to facilitate his development. I doubt that AL is gonna be that guy. I’m not a fan of AL, but as a former RB I don’t think he has much to offer Herbert with regards to developing at the QB position.
                  2. Keep him protected. Focus on developing an elite O-line. Brady didn’t always have great skill position players. He always had a good to great O-line.
                  Brady also had an elite OL coach.

Anyways, one of the reasons Lynn was hired was because they wanted someone who was more of a CEO type versus having an emphasis on one side only. Sort of the opposite of a Sean McVay or Matt Patricia. Even though I feel that an offense is helped out by a great running game, which Lynn does bring to the table. His emphasis on limiting turnovers also led to two of Rivers' best seasons IMHO.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

EWbZrhmXgAA4qdE.jpeg

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Somebody melded video of Herbert throwing and Allen, Ekeler, Williams and Henry catching. It's cool.

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=h...2&widget=Tweet

Comment

• TTThunder
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Sorry, I was shocked by us drafting a QB... (I want LB or DL or OT...)

Welcome to the Chargers!

Go Herbert!!!

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9