• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

For those with Vitamin F deficiency (Fail), watch this and feel better Caution: the hate is strong in this vid

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

There are definitely lot’s of positives to take away, a balance is good.
      I personally don’t aim for balancing positives/negatives takes (no shite right?)
      im much more interested in the validity of the takes, regardless of pos/neg.

I get off track because everything comes down to the Lynn decision. As confident as I was after the pats game, im now just as confident the Spanos will use this win streak as justification to avoid hiring/paying another HC.
      lucky, pick-em win against an over rated Raiders team
      a Bronco team that gave up today
      and a win against KCs backups.

The ONLY way we absolutely lose in 2021 is by retaining the worst HC in football outside of Gase MAYBE
      going with anyone else at least gives us hope that they aren’t the bottom 2 HCs in the league
      Again, my argument for now is not about retaining Lynn. I am not sure at this point if he is the right guy going forward. My argument is about giving more credit to the coaching staff for Herbert’s development. And maybe there is some misunderstanding about having to gather both positives and negatives out of any given situation.. That is not what I am doing as well, although I am more of a positive person overall, I do not think there is much to gain by burying ones head in the sand about certain things either.

The better word I should have used more is ‘comprehensive’ view. I can not stand pat while I hear such one-sidedness when there was such an unexpected early development of our next franchise QB knowing it was not always such a slam dunk about wether he would be as successful or not. Sam Darnold had a very similar profile in at least some ways coming out. Regardless of if I like someone or not, I give credit where it is due. Norv Turner was instrumental in the development of Rivers and even Rivers would admit this. I did not like Turner as a head coach at all, but I can at least see the impact he made on Rivers.

Comment

• SBbound
        Casual fanatic
        • Feb 2019
        • Merced/San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

As confident as I was after the pats game, im now just as confident the Spanos will use this win streak as justification to avoid hiring/paying another HC.
        No way, the only thing to argue about now is what day is Lynn going to be fired...3rd, 4th, 5th or maybe he lasts to the 6th? I am confident it's over for the entire coaching staff.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Spanos needs to think about how to put butts into the seats. Ands that’s by getting an exciting new head coach in here and selling the sizzle. This is LA. Boring doesn’t cut it. And we got big time sizzle potential.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            Spanos needs to think about how to put butts into the seats. Ands that’s by getting an exciting new head coach in here and selling the sizzle. This is LA. Boring doesn’t cut it. And we got big time sizzle potential.
            think he promised something along the lines of.... "flair & excitement"

ps. which HC candidate brings the most "sizzler" to the table ??
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

It hurts my sports sensibilities to think that a QB comes into the league with even play at times in college and blows up is ONLY due to his high end talent. Sam Darnold has high end talent also by the way. My argument is that culture and system fit also makes a difference. It’s funny y how quickly some point to the limited offense that he played in at Oregon for not showing more in college, but then completely dismiss that perhaps culture and being in a nice fit offense is partially the reason for Herbert’s unexpected fast rise in the NFL.

PFF also shows me that Herbert is not yet in the same league as Rogers, who I believe is the best QB I have ever seen play, Mahomes, Watson, Allen, and Wilson. Not even close really. If you take your eyes a minute away from the seemingly routine splash plays that Herbert makes, you will see occasional missed open receivers and errant throw and tough catches by our receivers at times also.

Herbert’s ceiling is incredible, which is why I liked Herbert coming out, but there was some issues also, which he has improved on and will still need to improve upon. The Chargers pass at a very high clip, so it is puzzling to sometimes hear that others believe he should pass even more under a suspect line?? The last thing you need is to become overly one-dimensional the entire game I would think.
              not exactly sure what you mean w/the bolded, other than if you watched the Cincy game and then fast forwarded to the KC game, don't think you can call Justin a good fit w/what we did in Cincy, and....

Herbert obviously forced their hand w/his talent that was unworldly after just the first series if I recall correctly.... coaches haven't blown it, but just like Rivers after Lynn's first four games.... QB talent has forced the issue w/our rookie phenom.
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

My argument here really has nothing to do with retaining the coaching staff.. It has to do with the offensive success in my mind anyway with regards to NFL ranking in some key categories when the offensive line has been uneven at best. Even with the lost of Ekeler and various injuries to Allen and Williams, this offense has for the most part exceeded my expectations when considering all these factors. And with all that said, Steichen is mostly criticized, which makes absolutely no sense to me. This is separating out the negatives from the positives. There can certainly be positives had from this season for sure! I like balance I guess.. or at least a comprehensive view.
                well, will concede that you're not the Critts disseminator, and.... if the staff is so talented w/developing young Justin, what happened to them last season w/the vet Phil ??

how did they turn things around on their end so suddenly ??

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                  Failure to treat him fairly in the workplace?!??

:idby:

That a false narrative. Lynn said after draft, that in camp and pre season Herbert would compete for the job. Then it got cancelled because of covid. He started the veteran. The vet went to IR. The rest is history. Lynn comments after losses like he's a backup for a reason should be taken with a grain of salt because Lynn is upset and being salty. Justin knows what going on. He's feeling ain't hurt by what Lynn says after a loss. Plus the coach also said he loved Justin. And he has everything you want for a franchise QB. He has said plenty of positive things about the kid.
                  and begrudgingly so....

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I have no problem with some of the, what I believe, well deserved criticism of Lynn no doubt. My issue is with this very one-sided affair that completely ignores the positives that should also be gained here. WR position actually has some depth now with a wide range of varying skill sets to use.

Did you know the Chargers actually practice and design those off script plays for Herbert as well? Nice move, especially considering the uneven pass protection at times. Steichen no doubt makes some questionable calls! Overall though, this offense has exceeded my expectations considering the lost of Ekeler, the injuries to Keenan and Williams, the heavy use of mostly unproven RBs, and offensive line injuries and uneven play.

I am encouraged overall with the offensive side of the ball, although I would still like to see both situational play calling improvements and better clock management at the end of halves.
                    not sure which game it was.... against the Buccaneers ?? that we came out wheeling and dealing to the UDFA wideouts, and wow !! what a difference willing to take a chance makes....

my query would be was that Lynn, or did Shane get in his ear.... the latter of which eye think is/was more likely, and again.... wow, what a result.

and again a query: has that defined our season, or was that happenstance due to injuries to Keenan and MW Thursday night ??

personally am willing to give Stich (or whomever for that matter) some credit, but again think the overriding factor is Justin's immense talent that has forced the issue.

after going over Lynn's offensive strategies from game one, year one, and recalling how we came out/approached our first Cincy game this season, hard to convince me that he was chewin' on Herbert cud coming into game 3 this year ??

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

There is no doubt that Lynn Steichen and Pep deserve credit for how Herbert has matured and grown without a true offseason and a modified training camp. I don't disagree

My problems with Lynn are more about managing the game, strategy, clock, time out. Lynn is stubborn about wanting to run the ball. He does not back off of that. He still wants to run the ball

And when push comes to shove - second half of a game next year, if Lynn is kept - will he revert to what is comfortable or try to grow in his job and try to adapt to the game, get better at clock management, etc. I think he would be the same Anthony Lynn.
                      true.... is has not been uncommon for Lynn's second halves to resemble second half experienced by the wicked witch of the East....

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think he promised something along the lines of.... "flair & excitement"

ps. which HC candidate brings the most "sizzler" to the table ??
                        Urban Meyer is the name guy.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• therber219
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2017
                          • Iowa
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

well, will concede that you're not the Critts disseminator, and.... if the staff is so talented w/developing young Justin, what happened to them last season w/the vet Phil ??

how did they turn things around on their end so suddenly ??
                          Pep Hamilton

Comment

Working...
                          X