Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Compelling arguments Ghost
    To clarify, you’re saying Parsons is best as a 43 Wide9 DE?
    Be honest, do you see scheme versatility as a 34 olb if we change schemes under a different coordinator?
    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

We are in the same ballpark on Top Five end. We just differ on value, that's all. If memory serves, you're down with DE Gregory Rousseau and his upside as a pass rusher. I can understand that theory, it's sound, on the defensive side of the ball with high player upside. Woody is banging the table for Sewell, his strategy for rebuilding starts with offensive line and that's cool too. It's all reallocation of assets, in the end, IMO.

If this is the Chargers draft-room, I am banging my fist on the table who, I will claim, played out of his natural position of a OLB, and instead played the Mike in 4-3 defense at Penn St. His natural instincts are blunted by putting him in a read-and-react Mike LB. This guy is a Day One Starter for the Chargers at Melvin Ingram's vacant OLB position. His vision improves drastically when he is attacking downhill, then his instincts in playing in space, which are phenomenal, become self-evident. Micah Parsons is 20-years-old and he'll be the next Khalil Mack.

LB Micah Parsons was the nation's-best 94.8 run-defense grade, fourth-highest 90.0 tackling grade and 17th-best pass-rush grade of 85.0. All this and Parsons wasn't playing at his natural position.

Yes we need trenches on both sides of the ball. Pass rushers and of course OL so Wood and Beach have the right theory, and many here know we need OL and seems we bang that drum every year, lol.

Beach wants DL and OL in every round every year lol. Cant completely disagree though more realistic is we draft at least one of each every year and hope we get a gem at times along with our higher picks on those positions.

But Telesco values CBs, and playmaker possitions more (though he did draft Bosa 3rd overall) which there isnt anything wrong with that but we NEED our trench guys and FF sakes, you have a franchise QB....get him that!

I think we excersize MW option for next season and we do need a 3rd WR with some skill. Maybe Reed can be that guy but he isnt getting the chances yet.

I always envy guys like Ben and Rogers who have three good WRs all the time. Brady is loaded this year while having crap the past couple seasons.

Claypool being a Notre Dame guy im kinda surprised Telesco didnt draft him but we didnt have a 2nd or 3rd because we traded up for Murray. So maybe he was on their radar.
      Pittsburgh drafted him in the 2nd round. He is their next star WR and they have a good fleet again. They always do.

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes we need trenches on both sides of the ball. Pass rushers and of course OL so Wood and Beach have the right theory, and many here know we need OL and seems we bang that drum every year, lol.

Beach wants DL and OL in every round every year lol. Cant completely disagree though more realistic is we draft at least one of each every year and hope we get a gem at times along with our higher picks on those positions.

But Telesco values CBs, and playmaker possitions more (though he did draft Bosa 3rd overall) which there isnt anything wrong with that but we NEED our trench guys and FF sakes, you have a franchise QB....get him that!

I think we excersize MW option for next season and we do need a 3rd WR with some skill. Maybe Reed can be that guy but he isnt getting the chances yet.

I always envy guys like Ben and Rogers who have three good WRs all the time. Brady is loaded this year while having crap the past couple seasons.

Claypool being a Notre Dame guy im kinda surprised Telesco didnt draft him but we didnt have a 2nd or 3rd because we traded up for Murray. So maybe he was on their radar.
        Pittsburgh drafted him in the 2nd round. He is their next star WR and they have a good fleet again. They always do.
        I agree that OL, Pass rushers, and dominating CB's are our top priority.....

I think if we had a different more aggressive DC, we could design/generate a pass rush without having any super star pass rushers.... so if that top LT is there we probably need to take him over DE or CB....

watching Lynn do pressers you dont see the anger that the steelers coach displays the rare times they lose, but at least lyme looks serious like he cares.....All of Bradley's pressers are such a happy smiling event that throws all the blame on players constantly making mistakes...... Gus may be a nice guy to sit in a bar with and having a drink but he does not have the passion and aggressiveness to coach against todays pass happy offenses......

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

We are in the same ballpark on Top Five end. We just differ on value, that's all. If memory serves, you're down with DE Gregory Rousseau and his upside as a pass rusher. I can understand that theory, it's sound, on the defensive side of the ball with high player upside. Woody is banging the table for Sewell, his strategy for rebuilding starts with offensive line and that's cool too. It's all reallocation of assets, in the end, IMO.

If this is the Chargers draft-room, I am banging my fist on the table who, I will claim, played out of his natural position of a OLB, and instead played the Mike in 4-3 defense at Penn St. His natural instincts are blunted by putting him in a read-and-react Mike LB. This guy is a Day One Starter for the Chargers at Melvin Ingram's vacant OLB position. His vision improves drastically when he is attacking downhill, then his instincts in playing in space, which are phenomenal, become self-evident. Micah Parsons is 20-years-old and he'll be the next Khalil Mack.

LB Micah Parsons was the nation's-best 94.8 run-defense grade, fourth-highest 90.0 tackling grade and 17th-best pass-rush grade of 85.0. All this and Parsons wasn't playing at his natural position.

Let me add that at 6'2" 245# Parsons runs a legit sub 4.5 forty.
          I suspect his ankle flexion is off the charts jk.
          We are definitely not talking about a Mike Mamula here.
          However, let me also add that some scout I respect (daggumit who was it?) claimed he saw some hesitation on plays.
          Hmmm...all other thoughts say instincts off the charts.

But...you will not get me off my Penei perch.

BTW ghost your TPB draft chops and Charger history chops are hereby certified.
          We have high standards here,
          and ALL newbies must be put through the gauntlet.

:larry:
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Let me add that at 6'2" 245# Parsons runs a legit sub 4.5 forty.
            I suspect his ankle flexion is off the charts jk.
            We are definitely not talking about a Mike Mamula here.
            However, let me also add that some scout I respect (daggumit who was it?) claimed he saw some hesitation on plays.
            Hmmm...all other thoughts say instincts off the charts.

But...you will not get me off my Penei perch.

BTW ghost your TPB draft chops and Charger history chops are hereby certified.
            We have high standards here,
            and ALL newbies must be put through the gauntlet.

:larry:
            I watched some dude make the same criticism on YouTube. His data points were two plays where LB Parsons hesitated from his MIKE position, to diagnose his keys. It's hogwash, bro. It's a read-and-react scheme. I'll say it all day long, his talent is for rushing the passer: ability to play in space is spectacular, his vision is rare, speed is ridiculous, and Penn. St. put him at Mike LB.

He's 20 years old and has a 36" vertical, KhalilMack has a 40". But, Micah is faster, as you pointed out. He's NINE YEARS YOUNGER than Khalil Mack.

Let's do this! :thumbsup!:

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              Compelling arguments Ghost
              To clarify, you’re saying Parsons is best as a 43 Wide9 DE?
              Be honest, do you see scheme versatility as a 34 olb if we change schemes under a different coordinator?
              think Ghost is halfway home w/Wade as his next DC, which would likely have us switching over to a 3-4, w/Parsons on the outside (he hopes/wishes for), and....

dude has the prototypical measurables for a Gus Bradley MLB.
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

I watched some dude make the same criticism on YouTube. His data points were two plays where LB Parsons were hesitated from his MIKE position, to diagnose his keys. It's hogwash, bro. It's a read-and-react scheme. I'll say it all day long, his talent is for rushing the passer: ability to play in space is spectacular, his vision is rare, speed is ridiculous, and Penn. St. put him at Mike LB.

He's 20 years old and has a 36" vertical, KhalilMack has a 40". But, Micah is faster, as you pointed out.

Let's do this! :thumbsup!:
                Murray was bad in coverage and good at rushing QB...... so what does Gus do with him?...... keeps him in coverage most of the time and rarely if ever uses him to pressure/scare QB's..... Micah would be a great add even though we dont have the coaches to use him properly.....

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Murray was bad in coverage and good at rushing QB...... so what does Gus do with him?...... keeps him in coverage most of the time and rarely if ever uses him to pressure/scare QB's..... Micah would be a great add even though we dont have the coaches to use him properly.....
                  What I want to see in the defensive field together are: Derwin James, Naz Adderley, & Kenneth Murray. These three in a Dime scheme can cover some serious ground. With their range, blitz opportunities open up.

Add in Chris Harris, and Casey Heyward and Michael Davis in press-coverage, for a change. But whoever the new guy is at DC, he's going to want to bring in the cornerbacks he trusts.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

last year was Wirfs, w/Derrick Brown and Cesar Ruiz in the mix (later) as well, w/skill position guys CeeDee Lamb and D'Andre Swift as guys I wouldn't cry 'bout if we gottem....
                    2019 Dexter Lawrence was off the board, so Erik McCoy woulda been nice there, and w/AJ Brown and the Nas as my skill position guys that year
                    2018 Vita Vea went off early, so woulda been left w/Isaiah Wynn there, as was not a Derwin proponent, and thought highly of Courtland Sutton that draft as well
                    2017 missed the Mahomes & Watson boat that year, but was hog high on Ramczyk and Malik McDowell, liked Godwin over MW, and had been all about Kareem Hunt for two years
                    2016 liked a coupla second rounders in A'Shawn Robinson and Jason Spriggs, and seem to recall preferring Stanley rather than Bosa
                    2015 liked Danny Shelton and Cameron Erving this go 'round, and wanted to trade for Mariota, and loved the Denzel pick
                    2014 liked Verrett, as both Jake Mathews and Mike Evans were (well) off the board, and think I liked Trent Murphy and Morgan Moses (both to WashDC), along w/Jordan Matthews and AST
                    2013 pretty much floored/devastated/crushed that we didn't take Star that year
                    2012 was not a Mel guy, and was w/the sheep crowd that year, aka plenty other CMB folks who liked Nick Perry
                    2011 was very bummed/disappointed that we lost out on Nate Solder by one slot, and liked Phil Taylor over Liuget that year
                    2010 loathed the Mathews trade up as liked Ben Tate better, and Mt. Cody
                    2009 can prolly blame me for English as had him as a late first/early second prospect, and was all about (Rey) Maualuga.... ugghh
                    2008 couldn't believe we passed on Calais Campbell for a CB !! case in point/exhibit A as to why eye prefer linemen over skill positions, also had Jamaal Charles w/a first round grade that year
                    2007 first year on the UT board, and got off to a rough start w/Justin Harrell, along w/Alan Branch and Tony Ugoh
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think Ghost is halfway home w/Wade as his next DC, which would likely have us switching over to a 3-4, w/Parsons on the outside (he hopes/wishes for), and....

dude has the prototypical measurables for a Gus Bradley MLB.
                      https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/5/30/15714574/jalen-ramsey-gus-bradley-chargers-jaguars-defense

Jalen Ramsey said he could have made more of an impact if given the flexibility to play different techniques, blitz more and play multiple positions, the way he did in college at Florida State. That's what got him drafted fifth overall.

Ramsey said he spoke with the coaches about doing some of those things but was denied.

"Every week, we ran the same defense," said Ramsey, who finished his rookie season with 55 tackles, 14 pass breakups and two interceptions. "We never changed defenses. We never changed plays. What we were running on first down at the beginning of the season we were running on first down at the end of the season. What we were running on second down, third down, same. Nothing ever changed."

Comment

• eaterfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I preferred Queen to Murray at that spot. Queen is much better in coverage.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I preferred Queen to Murray at that spot. Queen is much better in coverage.
                          Agree, but Lynn wanted Murray really bad...... and Gus keeps trying to make him a cover guy instead of using him to his strength....... that's why we ned better coaches....

Comment

Working...
                          X