• Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

This has turned into such a downer! At mid season we're discussing coaching changes, players that should be jettisoned, the players we can get with a very early draft pick, etc.

Tn a decent year we'd be praising our players and coaches and looking forward to the next game. We wait for months for the season to get here and it's as good as gone now. I ever expected to be 2-7
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Just a matter of perspective Roo
      striving for a realistic understanding of our team's circumstance has been more uplifting than treading in the delusional expectation of a turn around.
      Almost every game has meaning now that I'm rooting for draft positioning
      ours games are like early chapters in a book of how we will evolve, I absolutely still enjoy watching everyone without being tied to a winning outcome.
      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        striving for a realistic understanding of our team's circumstance has been more uplifting than treading in the delusional expectation of a turn around.
        ours games are like early chapters in a book of how we will evolve, I absolutely still enjoy watching everyone without being tied to a winning outcome.
        There is that...win or lose, watching Herbert is often a delight...reminds me of when we first drafted LT. We weren't good...but watching that kid run made it worthwhile....
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          This has turned into such a downer! At mid season we're discussing coaching changes, players that should be jettisoned, the players we can get with a very early draft pick, etc.

Tn a decent year we'd be praising our players and coaches and looking forward to the next game. We wait for months for the season to get here and it's as good as gone now. I ever expected to be 2-7
          It's not a downer but a realization that this head coach does not have what it takes to manage a modern NFL team. We've had two very cheap experimental head coaches that we gave a chance to and they we're given every opportunity to succeed. Twelve years of numb nutz milk toast head coaches is enough! Time to open the check book and hire professionals for a new stadium!
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• eaterfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            100% agree! I'm more optimistic than I've been in years when it comes to the direction of the franchise. This team has the hardest part figured out, a franchise QB. It also has the fortune of a franchise QB on a rookie deal. In a year when the cap will likely go down, the Chargers will have cap space to play with. Additionally, they will have a high draft pick in a QB rich draft and they don't need a QB. If they don't have a player they love where they are they can trade down and get more picks. If they don't trade down for more picks they already have all their picks, a compensatory (likely 3rd) round pick, and an extra 6th. Finally, this team has talent! They have been hurt and poorly coached, but the team has players.

I think the biggest weakness on this team has been coaching. I think the Chargers should have their choice of coaches if they offer a competitive salary for all the reasons I stated above. What coach wouldn't want a young franchise QB, plenty of draft capital, plenty of cap space, and a roster with talent already on it? Living in LA also doesn't hurt.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

100% agree! I'm more optimistic than I've been in years when it comes to the direction of the franchise. This team has the hardest part figured out, a franchise QB. It also has the fortune of a franchise QB on a rookie deal. In a year when the cap will likely go down, the Chargers will have cap space to play with. Additionally, they will have a high draft pick in a QB rich draft and they don't need a QB. If they don't have a player they love where they are they can trade down and get more picks. If they don't trade down for more picks they already have all their picks, a compensatory (likely 3rd) round pick, and an extra 6th. Finally, this team has talent! They have been hurt and poorly coached, but the team has players.

I think the biggest weakness on this team has been coaching. I think the Chargers should have their choice of coaches if they offer a competitive salary for all the reasons I stated above. What coach wouldn't want a young franchise QB, plenty of draft capital, plenty of cap space, and a roster with talent already on it? Living in LA also doesn't hurt.
              You had me until that last line - "Living in LA also doesn't hurt." - The traffic and congestion and TAXES would make me want to pick somewhere else.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

You had me until that last line - "Living in LA also doesn't hurt." - The traffic and congestion and TAXES would make me want to pick somewhere else.
                In any high densely populated area your going to have traffic congestion. I think your meaning congested freeway systems but I would think that's only during rush hours and such! State income taxes are going up everywhere including here in Arizona. Plenty of Traffic Congestion in Phoenix and Tucson. Weather is better in California and ya got beaches. Plus if your making Millions hire a full time driver as it will only cost you half as tax deductions exist for employees.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

We are in for some good debates this year, with minimal 2020 tape and development.

I think several QBs are gonna rise, including BYU and 'Bama...let's barter TT (if you are still here.)

Hell, ninja, ghost, beach and everyone, what if we have a whole new staff ?

Gonna have to tweak our mocks in round five just a little.
                  haven't gotten much of a hit on the 'Bama QB yet, but have pretty much penciled in the BYU guy to John Lynch in SF, and....

hope I'm not the (Sewell) spoiler, but do think we're going LEO top five, and....

prolly CB round two, and no Oline 'til R3.... ??
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Tranquil started running right out the gate. His good instincts made him play faster on the field. Can’t wait for him to come back from injury and play with Murray. I think he will do a better job lining up D.
                    Yes, some guys for whatever reason are better as rookies than others, even lower drafted guys.

Isiaiah Simmons hasnt started fast this year but he is getting more playing time and is coming on. I think they are leaving him at LB while he was all over for Clemson so at a higher level, maybe its just taking more time for him. He got a sack last night.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes, some guys for whatever reason are better as rookies than others, even lower drafted guys.

Isiaiah Simmons hasnt started fast this year but he is getting more playing time and is coming on. I think they are leaving him at LB while he was all over for Clemson so at a higher level, maybe its just taking more time for him. He got a sack last night.
                      Cards in general are an example of a forward thinking franchise
                      wouldnt be surprised to see them as contenders very soon
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

If you think it is bad now.......if we lose to the Jets.................:whistlin::shrug:

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

haven't gotten much of a hit on the 'Bama QB yet, but have pretty much penciled in the BYU guy to John Lynch in SF, and....

hope I'm not the (Sewell) spoiler, but do think we're going LEO top five, and....

prolly CB round two, and no Oline 'til R3.... ??
                          We are in the same ballpark on Top Five end. We just differ on value, that's all. If memory serves, you're down with DE Gregory Rousseau and his upside as a pass rusher. I can understand that theory, it's sound, on the defensive side of the ball with high player upside. Woody is banging the table for Sewell, his strategy for rebuilding starts with offensive line and that's cool too. It's all reallocation of assets, in the end, IMO.

If this is the Chargers draft-room, I am banging my fist on the table who, I will claim, played out of his natural position of a OLB, and instead played the Mike in 4-3 defense at Penn St. His natural instincts are blunted by putting him in a read-and-react Mike LB. This guy is a Day One Starter for the Chargers at Melvin Ingram's vacant OLB position. His vision improves drastically when he is attacking downhill, then his instincts in playing in space, which are phenomenal, become self-evident. Micah Parsons is 20-years-old and he'll be the next Khalil Mack.

LB Micah Parsons was the nation's-best 94.8 run-defense grade, fourth-highest 90.0 tackling grade and 17th-best pass-rush grade of 85.0. All this and Parsons wasn't playing at his natural position.

Comment

Working...
                          X