• Show
Clear All
  • chargerkdb
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Hotter than hell, Georgia
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

These are the sort of things that make me much more bullish on Darrisaw. I loved in the press conference he gave recently when he referred to himself as a two star recruit from PG County. When a guy plays with a chip on his shoulder and is known as a hard worker, the only remaining questions are athletic ability (which he clearly has) and acumen. But quotes like a two star recruit from PG County is the sort of thing a guy says during his HoF induction speech. I’m not saying Darrisaw is a future Hall of Famer, but I LOVE guys who play with a chip on their shoulder.
    The fact he’s getting better every season seems to contradict a poor work effort. So he didn’t bother to pancake a 200lb DE from Liberty or whatever the case someones citing. He gave up 0 sacks and 6 pressures all season. Everything I’ve heard is he is dedicated to getting better and he’s already pretty good. WFT’s GM was in Blacksburg. He won’t get beyond 19th pick IMO

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
      The only knock I’ve seen on Darrisaw that could be extrapolated to any sort of notion about work ethic is that he played down to lesser competition. One guys opinion that seems to now be he’s the next Isaiah Wilson. I know quite a few people around VT program and I’m telling you there isn’t anything lazy about Chris.

They guy came in as an unheralded 2 Star, he played with a chip on his shoulder as has been head and shoulders the best oline player on a top 10 oline unit. He has gotten better every year and played against some pretty damn good pass rushers the past 3 years.

Take PFF for what it’s worth but they rated him last year 2 while tenths of a point below Sewel and against better competition. He was highest rated pass AND run n blocker overall last year.

Don’t rate him at 13 that’s fine but he is NOT lazy nor does he have a poor work effort.There is zero indication he has any off field issues that are clearly the case with Isaiah Wilson. 2 Star recruits rarely take over LT position in P5 because they are lazy.
      This is a stout defense of CD where I have not seen one before, so thanks. BTW I said he might go all pro or he might be the next Isiah Wilson......but I guess this can be said about any prospect. I simply have to wonder why I can see so much negative on Darrisaw and yours is probably the first real defense of him I have seen in 2 weeks at least? I would wonder why his people would not be singing his praises from the rooftops in defense. Maybe they just think FU to the detractors, eh???

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

The fact he’s getting better every season seems to contradict a poor work effort. So he didn’t bother to pancake a 200lb DE from Liberty or whatever the case someones citing. He gave up 0 sacks and 6 pressures all season. Everything I’ve heard is he is dedicated to getting better and he’s already pretty good. WFT’s GM was in Blacksburg. He won’t get beyond 19th pick IMO
        Big thing is this:
        1) can he play LT in the NFL
        2) can he pass block in the NFL

Thats what the Chargers need

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

This is a stout defense of CD where I have not seen one before, so thanks. BTW I said he might go all pro or he might be the next Isiah Wilson......but I guess this can be said about any prospect. I simply have to wonder why I can see so much negative on Darrisaw and yours is probably the first real defense of him I have seen in 2 weeks at least? I would wonder why his people would not be singing his praises from the rooftops in defense. Maybe they just think FU to the detractors, eh???
          Hopefully there’s no more Isiah Wilson repeat... imagine you’re a cop trying to stop a 300# guy from jumping off a balcony to avoid arrest :mcnugget:

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Simple analogy is you can’t teach work ethic... you either have it or you don’t
            I’m going to respectfully disagree here. Work ethic can be taught. It can also come from being inspired by challenging environments.

If Darrisaw really does have a chip on his shoulder, like he said in his interview, he’ll want to prove that he can excel at the highest level. He’s definitely got some things to work on—mainly pass protection—but I see a kid that wants to succeed. We all know he has the physical tools, and those cannot be taught.

Playing under inspirational coaches and alongside grizzled vets ought to have a substantial impact. Darrisaw doesn’t strike me as a party boy or someone whose just in it for the money.

That being said, Darrisaw might be the best run-blocking tackle in the draft. Watching his tape, he was either involved in or directly responsible for springing every big run. Khalil Herbert is good, but Darrisaw was a big reason he averaged 8.9 and 7.7 ypc in his last 2 seasons. And this isn’t the MAC we’re talking about, it’s the ACC.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Hopefully there’s no more Isiah Wilson repeat... imagine you’re a cop trying to stop a 300# guy from jumping off a balcony to avoid arrest :mcnugget:
              My official report........"tried to stop the suspect but he was too big and heavy......."

Comment

• CivilBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                I’m going to respectfully disagree here. Work ethic can be taught. It can also come from being inspired by challenging environments.

If Darrisaw really does have a chip on his shoulder, like he said in his interview, he’ll want to prove that he can excel at the highest level. He’s definitely got some things to work on—mainly pass protection—but I see a kid that wants to succeed. We all know he has the physical tools, and those cannot be taught.

Playing under inspirational coaches and alongside grizzled vets ought to have a substantial impact. Darrisaw doesn’t strike me as a party boy or someone whose just in it for the money.

That being said, Darrisaw might be the best run-blocking tackle in the draft. Watching his tape, he was either involved in or directly responsible for springing every big run. Khalil Herbert is good, but Darrisaw was a big reason he averaged 8.9 and 7.7 ypc in his last 2 seasons. And this isn’t the MAC we’re talking about, it’s the ACC.
                Agree. There’s probably exceptions. The key is to have that challenging environment. What if the environment changed? Then the person can revert back to his old ways. Not all people act/work the same way when people are present/absent. That is what I was trying to convey. I should have said not all people are self-motivated.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Agree. There’s probably exceptions. The key is to have that challenging environment. What if the environment changed? Then the person can revert back to his old ways. Not all people act/work the same way when people are present/absent. That is what I was trying to convey. I should have said not all people are self-motivated.
                  Good points. I also like Darrisaw’s humility. Having that, and a chip on his shoulder is a good combination. Usually it’s the guys who already think they’re the shit that get rude awakenings in the NFL.
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

good read on Slater vs Darrisaw.

the conclusion:

”Ultimately, I believe that OT2 belongs to Darrisaw. Simply put, Darrisaw can make up the ground on Slater technically. However, Slater cannot make up the ground on Darrisaw physically. As a result, Darrisaw’s ceiling is much higher. In a league driven by ceiling, where the top tackles like Trent Williams and Tyron Smith were dominant in the 2010s, that’s going to matter more.

If a team wants to play Rashawn Slater inside at guard to give them the best starting five linemen, I think he’ll excel there. However, he is just as good on the outside at tackle and will be a great player there as well. Christian Darrisaw simply projects easier as a Day 1 starting left tackle.

Slater will still likely be the second offensive lineman off the board in mock drafts. For my money, however, Darrisaw would ultimately be my pick as the second offensive tackle taken in the 2021 NFL Draft.”

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                      Good points. I also like Darrisaw’s humility. Having that, and a chip on his shoulder is a good combination. Usually it’s the guys who already think they’re the shit that get rude awakenings in the NFL.
                      Funny... Pitts was the first person that came to my mind after reading the last sentence above.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Maybe because all the negative talk is from draftniks and talking heads and has no correlation to what is being said in NFL circles?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery