• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

I would be good with RT Rd1, DT Rd2. Don’t know we find a starting CB in Rd3 though. One of you guys are surely smart enough to land us a starting RT, DT and CB in the first two rounds, right?

Sharpen those pencils, get creative! Otherwise get one of those starters before the draft in FA for us. Thank you, … and Tom.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That would be the point, although the measurables you point to don't prove either is explosive. just saying. Donald is incredibly quick and has explosiveness, but there is no really good measure of it that I am aware of. There are not many guys who are as explosive as Donald, and too many people convince themself that a good player at the right position can have the same impact as a great player (at that same position) can.

Aaron Donald is among the top 5 players in the NFL at any position, and given his unusual size and abilities, he is pretty much a unique player. So the idea of finding comps for him is kinda silly.

Wyatt is not Aaron Donald and anyone who projects him to be the next Aaron Donald is simply kidding themselves.

This has nothing to do with Wyatt not being a good player, I think he may be a great player and is actually one of the players I hope we can get, but any thought of Aaron Donald as a comp is absurd.

There are literally dozens of college football DT every year going back as long as they have been doing this (and a lot longer really) with similar physical measurables to Aaron Donald who will never, ever be considered to be NFL players (for good reason). His measurables really have nothing to do with why Donald is a good player. They simply can't play like him. Div II and III are full of guys his size and guys who can run a 40 similar to him. They just cannot play football like him. If you want to find a similar player to Aaron Donald, you actually have to do the dirty work and watch guys play football. This idea of finding comps is nice in theory, but there is no replacement to actually watching them play.

What is there to learn about Wyatt in the combine that you don't already know?

As fans we don't get a chance to sit in the individual meetings, and they aren't going to release his medicals to the public. You know what you know about his game by watching him play. He is also a goodish athlete, so there is nothing to answer there. That is it. Anyone who is going to radically change their view of a player like Wyatt at the Underwear Olympics is simply stupid. He needs to go to the combine to do the interviews and medicals, and I hope he does the drills, but I don't see how it would change what I think of him as a player.

There are a few guys who may answer a few unanswered questions in Indy, that may sway people, but all of Wyatt's questions are still going to be there, and how he uses his physical talents is what is important, not what he does in spandex.
      Don’t expect him to be another Aaron Donald but comped him to Aaron Donald as that unique, explosive IDL who can create separate from blocker and actually pressure the QB, who is undersized and overlooked. It’s difficult for me to separate prospects on loaded teams, like a Georgia or Alabama compared to a team like Pittsburg or Oregon (those guys really stand out).

The Senior Bowl exposes prospects good or bad, given format of practices for everyone to see. Was shocked to see that Wyatt not Jermaine Johnson graded out with the highest practice grade for pass rushing. Suggests only, there is something special about him, how special will have to wait until he gets in the league. I’m a big RAS fan as well so numbers mean something to me. If he does 35 reps too that checks Wyatt box for core strength. If his initial 10 yard split is close to Donald then that checks the box for explosiveness.

Still a long way from the draft. But Devonte Wyatt is a riser, maybe to #17?

Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 02-08-2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
        At #17 we probably can draft a true shutdown corner and day 1 starter. RT and Dline are question marks when drafting at #17. Do we want question marks or do we whip out the checkbook there. Receivers are just another target for our QB to play with. Too many of our d players that were drafted last year really didn't contribute or surprise us other than Rumph. We expected at least decent play from Samuel so that's a given. The sixth and seventh round is like trying to eat leftover food you left in the back of the fridge for a week and aren't sure it's safe to eat!

:whistlin:
        What shutdown corner is available at 17?

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
          I would be good with RT Rd1, DT Rd2. Don’t know we find a starting CB in Rd3 though. One of you guys are surely smart enough to land us a starting RT, DT and CB in the first two rounds, right?

Sharpen those pencils, get creative! Otherwise get one of those starters before the draft in FA for us. Thank you, … and Tom.
          Round #1: corner (Karlaftis available might change that)
          Round #2: RT (might be corner if Karlaftis drafted)
          Round #3: DT (i wouldn't mid an rb here....definitely corner if none drafted yet)
          Round #4: tight end rb (DT if none drafted previously)

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Devonte Wyatt is DT1 in this class. Highest pass rush grade @ the Senior Bowl in one on one's and 7 on 7 drills according to PFF 94.8%.

Aaron Donald 6010 285lbs 32 5/8" arms 9 7/8" hands

Devonte Wyatt 6026 307lbs 33" arms 9 7/8" hands

Wait for combine to get rest of numbers, no way Wyatt is Donald explosive 4.68 40 or 35 reps but who is? Still a decent comp to model your game after.

There isn't a CB in this draft, who will be available #17 that I would take over him. Day one starter.
            Wyatt reminds me a bit of Gary 'big hands' Johnson more than anyone. I don't see a shred of A Donald in him.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I’d be much more in favor of a guy like Wyatt at 17 than Jordan Davis. It sounds like Wyatt shows a better motor and I just don’t think a two down space eating DT is worth a first round pick.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Wyatt reminds me a bit of Gary 'big hands' Johnson more than anyone. I don't see a shred of A Donald in him.
                And that is not a bad thing at all.......

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Wyatt is quick and explosive off the snap. His motor doesn’t stop, meaning he plays through the whistle, just watch that first clip against Alabama, backside pursuit, not only runs down but crushes, John Metchie (probably a sub 4.4 guy) and strips the ball textbook just like Aaron did last week. He is just a bit bulkier, not lighting more quick, similar traits. Temperament nasty, serious but not dirty.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

pff_mock_results 11.png

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Hoping for FA Nose Tackle, Rams Sebastian Joseph-Day to replace Linval Joseph. LB from Packers, DeVondre Campbell to shore up ILB to replace Murray/White.

Addressed IDL in first. CB 2nd along with RT using trade down in first. Added some edge rush in Mafe, think Chargers keep both Jones and Nwuso. Cook could take pressure off Eckler, more of a game breaker. Another big cornerback. Strange is a solid OG who could compete @ RG to start, definitely upgrade unless resign Aboushi. Love Dulcich, underrated weapon with great hands (won’t drop) solid blocker and route runner. Late round flyer on WR Venus Jones JR for returns and slot.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

What shutdown corner is available at 17?
                        Just looking at Tankathon...I'm not saying we should take any of these guys until vetted...Booth, Elam, McDuffie, McCreary?

2025 NFL Mock Draft. Order updated after every game. Team needs are factored into the player selections.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                          That would be a hell of a draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X