2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, Sanders is like a heat-seeking missile...nice...
    Nice highlights! Plays fast, hits hard. There's a lot to like.

Comment

• Berserker76
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Would love to have an elite LB for a change. I don't care what type of defense you run, a guy like Sanders is worth his weight in gold.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

I beg to differ on this. Staley runs an uneven 3-4 front, which in essence it operates similar to an over under 4-3 front at times. In this type of front, the NT will either hold the 0 tech or strong/weak (over/under) side i1 tech to 3 tech. The job is to anchor that end and create pressure by pushing the pocket to force the action to the other side to be swarm.

In any 3-4 related scheme it is crucial to have a big body to be able to handle the 0tech at times and be able to collapse his side, eat doubles in the A gap to free up everybody else, doing the dirty work to force the action to one side in order to be sustainable. Staley had Aaron Donald with the Rams who plays much bigger than his size. Even teams like the Super Bowl Seahawks that ran an over under 4-3 had Brandon Mebane, always had an even bigger body like Ahthyba Rubin to anchor.

You can run plays with whatever players you want (4-3 personnel,etc), but to run anything that is uneven or 3-4, it is a must to have somebody that is strong enough or big body up front to force the action to either side, otherwise it is just a fugazi; where your guys had to play perfect just to be functional. You can teach technique and all that but there is no replacement for displacement and the relevancy increases as you move closer to the line of scrimmage . It’s just simple physics.

If you want to contain leakage, best not to let them break your dam.
        100% this, thank you good sir. We’ve been reading that the classic NT is no longer relevant to modern football for 10 yrs and for the same 10 yrs we’ve watched other teams with an elite NT jcompletely clog up 1/4 of the field all by themselves by disrupting any attempt at yards inside the guards and sometimes outside them. In the same 10 yrs we have watched Chargers DTs get slapped around like little bitches.

I’m tired of watching undersized / underpowered Charger DTs get shoved around by OL - I want a NT beast that cannot be moved on 1st and 2nd down 3rd/4th and short. 3rd and long pull him for rest and put a Fox type DT out there. If Staley’s scheme is not perfect for him, fix the fucking scheme because anytime 1 NT can consume the attention of 2 and 3 offensive players, its creating something somewhere

One more correction, SJD isn’t the prototype for Staley’s defense - Aaron Donald is . Find me a DT that is THAT good and I’ll relent on my NTBeast yearn.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
          Would love to have an elite LB for a change. I don't care what type of defense you run, a guy like Sanders is worth his weight in gold.
          Yep...Sanders is like a Pit Bull who makes K9 look like a Chihuahua...

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Wow, Sanders is like a heat-seeking missile...nice...
            Like Bob (Sanders) all over again.
            Telesco approves.
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

100% this, thank you good sir. We’ve been reading that the classic NT is no longer relevant to modern football for 10 yrs and for the same 10 yrs we’ve watched other teams with an elite NT jcompletely clog up 1/4 of the field all by themselves by disrupting any attempt at yards inside the guards and sometimes outside them. In the same 10 yrs we have watched Chargers DTs get slapped around like little bitches.

I’m tired of watching undersized / underpowered Charger DTs get shoved around by OL - I want a NT beast that cannot be moved on 1st and 2nd down 3rd/4th and short. 3rd and long pull him for rest and put a Fox type DT out there. If Staley’s scheme is not perfect for him, fix the fucking scheme because anytime 1 NT can consume the attention of 2 and 3 offensive players, its creating something somewhere

One more correction, SJD isn’t the prototype for Staley’s defense - Aaron Donald is . Find me a DT that is THAT good and I’ll relent on my NTBeast yearn.
              How about Mazi Smith, NT, Michigan, 6-3, 337#...his draft stock may take a hit due to his recent probation for a gun charge (in his pickup truck)...if he's there in round 2 would u pull the trigger?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Bro, Browns RB D'Ernest Johnson is now an unrestricted FA. He's a starting back in this league.

He had 4 carries on the 2022 season behind Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. I'd call those fresh legs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/dernest-johnson-30103/
                Would like to have him but just don't see us going for a vet RB that costs even though I don't think Johnson would be expensive. He did make over 2 mil last season.

But when you have two other cheap RBs on rookie deals , idk I'd just doubt it.

Unless they would cut Kelly in the last year of his deal but he is still cheap at 1.2 mil.

Any RB we sign or draft high, one of our others will be cut and doubt it will be Spiller. Kelley or Horvath is my guess.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

How about Mazi Smith, NT, Michigan, 6-3, 337#...his draft stock may take a hit due to his recent probation for a gun charge (in his pickup truck)...if he's there in round 2 would u pull the trigger?
                  I’d take him in Rd2, hell yeah - depending on who’s on the board.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Nice highlights! Plays fast, hits hard. There's a lot to like.
                    I’ve attempted model after model in different mock simulators to select bpa in area of need, for Chargers. Problem is, Drew’s also slippery in setting his draft slot/grade, still ascending. Certainly looks 1st rd grade, think it’s more positional value reason why they grade Drew Sanders as 2nd day pick now (before Chargers 2nd rd. slot).

It will be interesting to watch Warner & Greenlaw, the lawyer office of 49er Linebackers, tackle the Eagles high flying office this Sunday. How much success and impact they make could change some minds on positional value/rankings. We all recognize what a hole run defense, tackling has been in the reign of Staley’s vaunted defensive scheme. Now the question must be, is it the scheme or players used to implement it?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

What do we know about dontavyous wick? Looks like the prototype, size, hands, speed, etc…had one good year in college tho…I’d never heard of him until this week a friend of mine told me he could be someone that they look to draft in the 2nd or 3rd round…
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

I’ve attempted model after model in different mock simulators to select bpa in area of need, for Chargers. Problem is, Drew’s also slippery in setting his draft slot/grade, still ascending. Certainly looks 1st rd grade, think it’s more positional value reason why they grade Drew Sanders as 2nd day pick now (before Chargers 2nd rd. slot).

It will be interesting to watch Warner & Greenlaw, the lawyer office of 49er Linebackers, tackle the Eagles high flying office this Sunday. How much success and impact they make could change some minds on positional value/rankings. We all recognize what a hole run defense, tackling has been in the reign of Staley’s vaunted defensive scheme. Now the question must be, is it the scheme or players used to implement it?
                        Take your pick. Scheme didn't fit the talent available. Bosa, A Johnson, Tito, Covington, Mr Int out, K9 coming off injury. I'd go with players
                        We don't know how it would have gone with them healthy. I like Sanders and would probably bet the farm on him. I'm prejudiced in favor of a playmaking LB.It's been too long since Jr. Tranquill is good, needs help. Murray is not a good fit, more Gus Bradley guy.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that they aren’t going to release Allen or trade him this year. I think it will end up being next year unless the restructure and give him a year extension. If they don’t, this will definitely be the last year MW and Allen are both in the team.

So in saying that, I don’t think they go WR in the 1st or 2nd round. That’s unless Hyatt is sitting there in the 2nd. I think they wait until the 3rd or 4th and with that pick, Rakim Jarrett would be great. Another WR/KR/PR in the 6th or 7th would be Tre Tucker. 4.29 and shifty.

I also think they need to bring in a speedy vet like Nelson Algholor to battle Palmer for the 3rd WR on the team. He has no competition for that spot. Algholor will challenge him even more.

Comment

Working...
                          X