2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Katdnzr View Post

I have to agree with PowderBlueBoy, it was the defense I was screaming at last year. Couldn't stop the run or 3rd down conversions. Yet everyone wants to draft offense. Give me a thumping linebacker in there somewhere!
    We want offence because that is what wins in todays NFL. We invested heavily in defence last year. Most of 200 million spent last year went to defence and yet under Staley it still wasnt very good. You keep trying to improve the defence yes, but realistically knowing you will never shut down all the stud QBs in the AFC Like Allen, Mahomes, Burrow anyways...so lets load up our stud QB with full weaponry like TE and speed/YAC so he can go toe to toe and score the 30+ points a week it takes to beat teams lke the Chiefs.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Katdnzr View Post

I have to agree with PowderBlueBoy, it was the defense I was screaming at last year. Couldn't stop the run or 3rd down conversions. Yet everyone wants to draft offense. Give me a thumping linebacker in there somewhere!
      I would love that and have advocated for that only to be told that LBs are devalued in the “Staley D”. Hence the Staley D will never be a great D

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I been screaming at the offense for years, last time I checked teams only lose when they score fewer points than their opponents. Need more O, stat!

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

If you can't stop 3rd down on defense, you're dead !

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Inability to control the clock has been what has killed the Chargers in two seasons with Staley as head coach. Hope like hell, Lombardi the problem and Moore is the answer?

In a Nutshell, defenses load the box. Shutdown running lanes and bring pressure to Herbert. Costly penalties or drops, sometimes even running wrong routes drive killers in crunch times. Staley even had to stop going for it on 4th downs, not exactly ringing endorsement from management.

Group ineptitude effort. Injuries huge part of that, but have to look back to Herbert’s rookie year, when he connected with more deep balls, & had reliable weapon @ TE when in trouble. Those two parts, have been missing and need addressed in this draft.

Stopping the run. Product of system or poor tackling technique? Spacing issue with this defense that adds difficulty to & missed tackles. Need players with better foot speed, the Brian Branch, Nolan Smiths of the draft world and a gravitational vacuum cleaning immovable impediment with some penetrating rush ability. Address these five positions and we improve both in clock management and run defense. End of the day, still select BPA.

Both top targets gone Branch/Nolan Smith. Bonus (never happen) the Los Angeles Chargers new starting LG Peter Skoronski. Move Salyer to RT. Kincaid (in discussions 1st rd) takes pressure off Herbert. Campbell shores up run defense as would Benton on interior. Scott is deep threat speed. Haener is a fresh start as back-up QB option, no more Daniels or Street. Late addressing safety spot soon to be vacated by Adderly.

Peter Skoronski
              OT Northwestern

Dalton Kincaid
              TE Utah

Jack Campbell
              LB Iowa

Keeanu Benton
              DT Wisconsin

Tyler Scott
              WR Cincinnati

Jake Haener
              QB Fresno State

Jason Taylor II
              S Oklahoma State

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Not crappin on your draft but every mock I do has your first 3 picks goin way earlier.Would be a great haul if possible.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

It would be the greatest 3 first picks of the Chargers history.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Can we talk about Herbert’s back-up? What happened last year was inexcusable. If Chargers had a capable back-up QB (they don’t) Herbert career was put in jeopardy, by running him right back out on the field. Should never seen live game action until medical evaluation and treatment administered.

Take the losses, pick in top 10 then maybe those draft picks above would be more plausible, and damage to Herbert and his throwing motion minimized.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

You have to address both offense and defense in the draft. BPA @PON.
                    Leave yourself weak/thin at any position and opposing coaches will expose and take take advantage.
                    No weak links.

Right now are biggest needs are RT, CB, LB.
                    Other positions certainly need more depth. Get depth in later rounds.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

We wont be able to afford our OL in 4 years from now lol. I just seriously doubt Kincaid comes close to #54.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                        You have to address both offense and defense in the draft. BPA @PON.
                        Leave yourself weak/thin at any position and opposing coaches will expose and take take advantage.
                        No weak links.

Right now are biggest needs are RT, CB, LB.
                        Other positions certainly need more depth. Get depth in later rounds.
                        Pip will likely be back whether you like or not. Just what i see happening. Im not drafting a RT early in any mocks til i see he isnt brought back because im assuming he is. Not sure CB is a big need either. Depends on the progress they like in the CBs they drafted last year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                          Can we talk about Herbert’s back-up? What happened last year was inexcusable. If Chargers had a capable back-up QB (they don’t) Herbert career was put in jeopardy, by running him right back out on the field. Should never seen live game action until medical evaluation and treatment administered.

Take the losses, pick in top 10 then maybe those draft picks above would be more plausible, and damage to Herbert and his throwing motion minimized.
                          Herb as it looks like, will play unless he breaks a bone. Thats just his way and Rivers did it as well.
                          Id love to sign Minshew but he likely wont see the field and he will cost a bit. So thats why im fine if we sign Cooper Rush and draft say Bennett in round 7. Dude is undersized but he looked just as good throwing the ball as the top rated QBs and looked better imo than Richardson and Levis. I know its in shorts but his ball placement was good.

Were talking 3rd stringer here with a chance to develope,.,.. though he is 25 already.

Comment

Working...
                          X