2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm not a big fan of Darnell Wright....supposedly he's looked good at the combine.
    Many here are pimping him.

The guy from Ohio State seems intriguing.
    Jones from Ohio State scares me a bit, I don’t think he has the skills to pass protect in the NFL and especially at 374 pounds…I would’ve liked to have seen him come into the combine at more fit 335, it concerns me that he didn’t think it necessary to come in to the combine in better shape…darnell wright is a very good player, he weighs 330 at 6’5” but he carries it really well, his lateral mobility looked really good, he is already a much more polished technician than jones, he’s more fit, and his interviews showed me that he’s an intelligent kid too…I like the way he looked at the senior bowl as well…darnell is a legit first rounder IMO, jones is a mid to late 2nd rounder that will get a lot of holding calls in the NFL and have edge players doing circles around him…

at the senior bowl darnell was asked about the one on one drills against defensive players, he was told that he looked good and his response was that the drills are junk…at first I was surprised but then he explained himself and I was really impressed with his thinking…he said, that if he’s given a week to prepare for one or two guys on an opposing d-line he can study them on film and break down their tendencies and deficiencies and that he can then find a way to neutralize what they will try to do to him…at the one on ones he said they were asked to face off against a bunch of different guys with different styles and without any preparation and most of them were complete unknowns to him that played on teams he never got to study. The guy stood out in the SEC, I like the way he thinks, and he fits the profile of what the chargers have been doing in their last 2 drafts with O-line, jones got by in college with sheer mass, natural strength, and athletic ability…his technique is not good, he reminds me a bit of trevor penning in his tendency to throw defenders down as they turn the corner, he sounds like a nice kid but his body doesn’t scream dedication in the weight room or at the dinner table…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

You missed spindly legs.

The spindly legged doughboy will be back, mark my words!

lol good point! I did

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

I'm not a big fan of Darnell Wright....supposedly he's looked good at the combine.
        Many here are pimping him.

The guy from Ohio State seems intriguing.
        I hope you are talking about Paris Johnson Jr., but he will be long gone. Dawand Jones is a hard pass for me...fatter, slower version of Fluker. Looked horrible in drills, very heavy feet...they got one drill where the guys start out laying on their backs? Everyone was popping up, whereas he looked like he was rolling outta bed after an allnighter...it was ugly enough to make me rewind and laugh...
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I agree, it doesn’t make any sense to me to draft a raw player knowing he could take years to develop…then as predicted you get almost nothing out of him for 3 years and then after all that you let him walk when he finally starts to round the corner…how does that even begin to make sense? We all know ot takes time to develop O-linemen in the NFL and it’s hard to find tackles, when you finally get one, even a slightly above avg one like pipkins you have to pay him a little bit, maybe 7-8 mil per…in addition they’ve already been paying a subpar LG more than that and a broken down veteran RT a LOT more than that like 3 years ago…but your own homegrown guy is not worth a 3 year 24mil deal even at age 27? I don’t get it…
          I don’t think anyone would object to paying him 3/24. But does some team offer him 12.5 mill a year? Say 4/50 mil? Or more?
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

If you want a tackle in this draft, you going to have to overdraft one. Just the way it is. And then work to develop him.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I hope you are talking about Paris Johnson Jr., but he will be long gone. Dawand Jones is a hard pass for me...fatter, slower version of Fluker. Looked horrible in drills, very heavy feet...they got one drill where the guys start out laying on their backs? Everyone was popping up, whereas he looked like he was rolling outta bed after an allnighter...it was ugly enough to make me rewind and laugh...
              Sort of like me in the late 70's / early 80's from a place like Tug's Tavern.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                If you want a tackle in this draft, you going to have to overdraft one. Just the way it is. And then work to develop him.
                Pipkins - Arjun M on twitter has his at 3/22.5
                that seems reasonable.
                if that becomes 3/32.5 - I am not sure one year is enough body of work to base big money on

if he is not back with the Chargers -I hope its because he got stupid money that was easy to not match

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Pipkins - Arjun M on twitter has his at 3/22.5
                  that seems reasonable.
                  if that becomes 3/32.5 - I am not sure one year is enough body of work to base big money on

if he is not back with the Chargers -I hope its because he got stupid money that was easy to not match
                  KC. 4/50 as their new LT. Yeah baby.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• SK21209
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2020
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

I have some hope that Pipkins will fly under the radar on the free agent market such that something like 3/22.5 will keep him here. Throughout the season even some of the supposedly plugged-in guys at PFF or The Ringer or wherever were recycling the 2021 talking point that we had the worst starting RT in the league. Hopefully some bigger OT names become cap casualties (like Donovan Smith yesterday) so Pipkins doesn't have a big market.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Pips is not worth over $6m/year, and.... it shouldn't be us that is re signing him,
                      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I don’t think anyone would object to paying him 3/24. But does some team offer him 12.5 mill a year? Say 4/50 mil? Or more?
                        We all said that nwosu and kyzir where trying to break the bank last year and how did that turn out? They both signed deals that were below market and the truth is the staff FO simply had no interest in bringing them back and how did that turn out? Nwosu out played the 31 million dollar man in seattle for 8 mil, you think we might’ve been able to afford 2.5 mil for kyzir and started him over mr. Bust also self named K9? BTW, you could make the argument that Nwosu had outplayed or matched Bosa’s play in 2021 too…last year we also kept 8 million dollar man fieler over bringing back oday abushi for 2.5mil and a starting gig, which is all he wanted, to start.

when the chargers let pipkins walk for 3 year 5-6mil per deal this offseason, I’m going to stop watching the first time I see our rookie RT, foster sarrell, or god maybe even storm norton let herbert get drilled in his throwing shoulder by a defender, I’ll be done for the season. You guys are automatically thinking our guys are trying to gouge the FO for every penny and we consistently see these assholes under value home grown guys for trash like fieler, bulaga, etc…

in 2021 we let rayshawn jenkins and hunter henry walk, we had money, the contracts were coming in below market value because of covid and the chargers still decided to roll the dice with fucking has beens like jared cook and chris harris jr….and how is jenkins doing in jax? The list goes on and on, the level of incompetence is astounding, they take years to develop guys that they drafted and they can’t identify which guys are the right guys to keep longterm. Say whatever you want about AJ Smith, but he new how to lockdown guys that were turning the corner in a timely fashion and for below market deals…If TT and Johnny were half as good at self scouting this team would’ve already won several division titles under TT, they’ve been blessed to have some of the best QB play in the league during their tenure but they can’t make it work…you can’t build quality depth in the NFL if you are only concerned about hitting on #1 picks and paying those guys the bulk of the cap in splash signings while you let your depth and second tier guys walk…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

We all said that nwosu and kyzir where trying to break the bank last year and how did that turn out? They both signed deals that were below market and the truth is the staff FO simply had no interest in bringing them back and how did that turn out? Nwosu out played the 31 million dollar man in seattle for 8 mil, you think we might’ve been able to afford 2.5 mil for kyzir and started him over mr. Bust also self named K9? BTW, you could make the argument that Nwosu had outplayed or matched Bosa’s play in 2021 too…last year we also kept 8 million dollar man fieler over bringing back oday abushi for 2.5mil and a starting gig, which is all he wanted, to start.

when the chargers let pipkins walk for 3 year 5-6mil per deal this offseason, I’m going to stop watching the first time I see our rookie RT, foster sarrell, or god maybe even storm norton let herbert get drilled in his throwing shoulder by a defender, I’ll be done for the season. You guys are automatically thinking our guys are trying to gouge the FO for every penny and we consistently see these assholes under value home grown guys for trash like fieler, bulaga, etc…

in 2021 we let rayshawn jenkins and hunter henry walk, we had money, the contracts were coming in below market value because of covid and the chargers still decided to roll the dice with fucking has beens like jared cook and chris harris jr….and how is jenkins doing in jax? The list goes on and on, the level of incompetence is astounding, they take years to develop guys that they drafted and they can’t identify which guys are the right guys to keep longterm. Say whatever you want about AJ Smith, but he new how to lockdown guys that were turning the corner in a timely fashion and for below market deals…If TT and Johnny were half as good at self scouting this team would’ve already won several division titles under TT, they’ve been blessed to have some of the best QB play in the league during their tenure but they can’t make it work…you can’t build quality depth in the NFL if you are only concerned about hitting on #1 picks and paying those guys the bulk of the cap in splash signings while you let your depth and second tier guys walk…
                          Kyzir got 1 year, 3 mil Not bad .

Hunter Henry got 3 years, 37.5.mil
                          Jenkins got 4 years, 35 mil.

Nobody here wanted to sign those guys for that much. Hunter got way more than even those who wanted him back were projecting.

Those guys weren't below market value.

Henry is hardly used in NE and Jenkins is about par for what he did for us. Neither are tearing it up. Both got big contracts.

Kyzir was cheap but, he wasn't great for us either. Run defense was worse when he was here.

BTW, Nwosu's contract is 2 years, 19.3 mil. His cap hit this year is 13 mil. Not terrible but he just wasn't that productive for us.

Comment

Working...
                          X