2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I have zero faith his defense will be any better against the run in 2023, ;
    We merely need to play good running D in the playoffs. I mean in the regular season teams are only averaging 1 rushing TD against us. 17 rushing TDs to our 15 rushing TDs.

I forsee our rushing D to get a little better in 2023.

In 2021 we were averaging damn near 28 points a game. That offensive output would've given us more wins in 2022.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

We merely need to play good running D in the playoffs. I mean in the regular season teams are only averaging 1 rushing TD against us. 17 rushing TDs to our 15 rushing TDs.

I forsee our rushing D to get a little better in 2023.

In 2021 we were averaging damn near 28 points a game. That offensive output would've given us more wins in 2022.
        Faulty thinking. The Chargers D gave up 360 yards per game. 145 of those came through the ground. Just over 200 through the air. But here is the thing.
        Not stopping the running game ended up hurting us through the air when it counted the most. Thus the air defense looking good is a bit deceiving. Truth is
        we couldn't stop the run or the pass. The Jags two games exposed our weaknesses.

There are three things the Chargers need to improve and get over.
        1. Stop the run on D
        2. Get our running game in gear
        3. Get over the historical bad loss in the PO. In that regard it can go two ways. It either gets the players fired up, or the core of this team and
        coaches are done.

Staley has been sticking to his 3/4 D that is really not a 3/4 in the face of failing to stop the run. He is either stubborn or knows
        no other way. We hope the OC he brings in knows something about the run game and how to improve. It may mean bringing in a RB or two and changes
        to the O line.

Telesco and the players seem to trust Staley. We hope that really is the case. Allen for one had some eye raising comments earlier in the year.
        So we'll see. At any rate due to all the injuries to our best players a proper evaluation of Staley was not possible this year. We have to wait until
        next year.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

There are three things the Chargers need to improve and get over.
          1. Stop the run on D
          2. Get our running game in gear
          3. Get over the historical bad loss in the PO. In that regard it can go two ways. It either gets the players fired up, or the core of this team and
          coaches are done.
          4. Quit throwing yer helmet down and committing silly penalties that help the opposing team...

There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Official 2023 First Round Cluster Version 1.0

Let's start off with the WRs...this is a polarizing conversation, as some on here would think that if we address the position at #21, TT will be reaching or "overdrafting"...because the majority of the better WR prospects this year project heavily to the slot. I don't give a crap about any of that. What I am looking for is a WR that can take the top off defenses, has ball skills to make the tough catches, and shifty YAC running ability. That is the element in this WR group we are lacking. I also expect them to possess enough upside to project as Slayer's eventual fulltime replacement. A prospect that makes an immediate impact, and also projects solidly in this teams future as a starter. To me, that warrants first round consideration.

Jordan Addison WR- I think it is a stretch, but not impossible, that he makes it to us. Maybe not quite as explosive as the next prospect, he is far more polished, and a very safe pick, who will be a welcome addition to our WR group.

Jalen Hyatt WR- Meets all the above criteria, though not as polished, with a limited route tree out the gate....but that isn't what we need him for year 1...we just need a speedy playmaker, who can learn to be a more complete receiver over Slayer's last year or two here.

You can claim TT is reaching if he takes a WR at #21...but if he doesn't, I see little chance he adds anyone who can impact the group significantly in 2023...and if our WR group suffers the same woes as this past season, some of the same people will turn around and claim he had a chance to add a guy in the first, but ignored the need...poor bastard can't win with some fans on here.

In any event, WR isn't my favorite option, but do concede that adding an explosive playmaker here may be prudent.

Bijan Robinson RB- Our run game is a weakness, and improvement here would also benefit the pass game, and keep the defense off the field longer. Bijan is the best back since Barkley, and Ekelor himself has eluded he likes when someone else is sharing the load...one could argue that Bijan-Eke could be the best on paper RB duo in the country next season...and as Eke approaches the twilight of his career, we have a feature back ready to take the reigns full time...not to mention great insurance against our #1RB getting injured and missing time.

Michael Mayer TE- Some will argue that to spend #21 on a TE, they should be a special player...and some here don't think Mayer is. I disagree. I don't care if he doesn't run a 4.5 40....he moves smoothly on that field, and plays fast...and even when he doesn't get seperation, he still catches the ball in traffic, with defenders draped on him...very strong hands. He is also a wrecking ball on the run...and as for blocking, very effective. A true all purpose TE....and one I think will be a top 10 at his position early in his career. Improves both our running and passing attacks day 1.

Brian Branch S-This is a pipe dream, but there is an outside chance teams who can use secondary help dip hard into a decent CB class, and Branch falls a bit. True Staley DB, with versatility to play safety high or low, slot, outside in a pinch, and a fantastic blitzer....oh yea....probably the best tackler in the whole class of defenders. I think everyone can agree we can use THAT.....

Drew Sanders LB- shout out to Ghost, for giving me the balls to project this guy in the first. Fell in love with this kid several weeks ago watching film. I will admit, a raw LB in the first is a tough sell...but this kid is talented, both as an athlete, and an instinctive football player...and a great pass rusher. From the start, as he is working on his game between the tackles, stacking and shedding, he can offer immediate impact as a situational pass rusher, and a special teams ace...and I think he could very well develop into one of the best LBs in the league...great range, great instincts, already shows promise in coverage, pass rushing demon....tons of upside.

O'Cyruss Torrence IOL- This is tough, because I think Salyer deserves a shot at LG...and I think Pip will be back, almost certain of it. But after years of disappointment, I find I am less sentimental. Torrence would be another big addition to this oline,...great for the run game, great for Herbie...if we pick him, Salyer is just gonna have to beat somebody out in camp if he wants to start....championship depth.

Honorable mentions- Van Ness and Foskey are decent edge options, Josh Downs and Zay Flowers, if our staff is really gunning for WR talent, and Addison and Hyatt are gone, Trenton Simpson is another LB I like...Antonio Simpson, another Staley type DB...Devon Witherspoon and Clark Phillips III if we don't bring back Callahan.
            Last edited by Lone Bolt; 01-28-2023, 12:11 PM.
            The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              4. Quit throwing yer helmet down and committing silly penalties that help the opposing team...

There...fixed it for 'ya!
              Hot heads be hot heads. We should have never been in that position to start with. That was the real problem.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                Official 2023 First Round Cluster Version 1.0

Let's start off with the WRs...this is a polarizing conversation, as some on here would think that if we address the position at #21, TT will be reaching or "overdrafting"...because the majority of the better WR prospects this year project heavily to the slot. I don't give a crap about any of that. What I am looking for is a WR that can take the top off defenses, has ball skills to make the tough catches, and shifty YAC running ability. That is the element in this WR group we are lacking. I also expect them to possess enough upside to project as Slayer's eventual fulltime replacement. A prospect that makes an immediate impact, and also projects solidly in this teams future as a starter. To me, that warrants first round consideration.

Jordan Addison WR- I think it is a stretch, but not impossible, that he makes it to us. Maybe not quite as explosive as the next prospect, he is far more polished, and a very safe pick, who will be a welcome addition to our WR group.

Jalen Hyatt WR- Meets all the above criteria, though not as polished, with a limited route tree out the gate....but that isn't what we need him for year 1...we just need a speedy playmaker, who can learn to be a more complete receiver over Slayer's last year or two here.

You can claim TT is reaching if he takes a WR at #21...but if he doesn't, I see little chance he adds anyone who can impact the group significantly in 2023...and if our WR group suffers the same woes as this past season, some of the same people will turn around and claim he had a chance to add a guy in the first, but ignored the need...poor bastard can't win with some fans on here.

In any event, WR isn't my favorite option, but do concede that adding an explosive playmaker here may be prudent.

Bijan Robinson RB- Our run game is a weakness, and improvement here would also benefit the pass game, and keep the defense off the field longer. Bijan is the best back since Barkley, and Ekelor himself has eluded he likes when someone else is sharing the load...one could argue that Bijan-Eke could be the best on paper RB duo in the country next season...and as Eke approaches the twilight of his career, we have a feature back ready to take the reigns full time...not to mention great insurance against our #1RB getting injured and missing time.

Michael Mayer TE- Some will argue that to spend #21 on a TE, they should be a special player...and some here don't think Mayer is. I disagree. I don't care if he runs a 4.5 40....he moves smoothly on that field, and plays fast...and even when he doesn't get seperation, he still catches the ball in traffic, with defenders draped on him...very strong hands. He is also a wrecking ball on the run...and as for blocking, very effective. A true all purpose TE....and one I think will be a top 10 at his position early in his career. Improves both our running and passing attacks day 1.

Brian Branch S-This is a pipe dream, but there is an outside chance teams who can use secondary help dip hard into a decent CB class, and Branch falls a bit. True Staley DB, with versatility to play safety high or low, slot, outside in a pinch, and a fantastic blitzer....oh yea....probably the best tackler in the whole class of defenders. I think everyone can agree we can use THAT.....

Drew Sanders LB- shout out to Ghost, for giving me the balls to project this guy in the first. Fell in love with this kid several weeks ago watching film. I will admit, a raw LB in the first is a tough sell...but this kid is talented, both as an athlete, and an instinctive football player...and a great pass rusher. From the start, as he is working on his game between the tackles, stacking and shedding, he can offer immediate impact as a situational pass rusher, and a special teams ace...and I think he could very well develop into one of the best LBs in the league...great range, great instincts, already shows promise in coverage, pass rushing demon....tons of upside.

O'Cyruss Torrence IOL- This is tough, because I think Salyer deserves a shot at LG...and I think Pip will be back, almost certain of it. But after years of disappointment, I find I am less sentimental. Torrence would be another big addition to this oline,...great for the run game, great for Herbie...if we pick him, Salyer is just gonna have to beat somebody out in camp if he wants to start....championship depth.

We were NFL #3 in passing yards with significant WR time missed due to injury. The receiving need is deep speed, a guy who can blow past DBs and scare the crap out of them, thereby loosening up coverage. I'd like a top TE but BPA is my favorite at 21. There is no position that I would NOT take if they are easily BPA. PON takes pushes.
                * Sanders got me too. I don't expect this pick but would be very happy with him.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Anyone have this guy on your radar? https://youtu.be/Ymu1OA0czBk
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    Anyone have this guy on your radar? https://youtu.be/Ymu1OA0czBk
                    like him better than Mayer,
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

He will bring some physicality to the passing game and running game that we need to help us impose our will. Can you imagine him chip blocking Crosby? Being a huge add in short yardage blocking or toting the rock to move the pile!
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        He will bring some physicality to the passing game and running game that we need to help us impose our will. Can you imagine him chip blocking Crosby? Being a huge add in short yardage blocking or toting the rock to move the pile!
                        I like Kincaid's route running, receiving skills, Mayer all around TE, Washington's size. It's likely Mayer won't reach 21. I give Kincaid the edge on athleticism but Washington is intriguing. Big dude.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Yeah, that had horrible optics (i just rewatched it).

Bosa slams his helmet right in front of Staley;
                          Helmet takes a weird hop bouncing back towards the field;
                          Staley immediately rushes out onto the field to pick it up and hustles back to hand it to Bosa;
                          Bosa, in mid stride, accepts helmet and slams it back down again.

Maybe if the helmet rolled to Staley feet and he merely picked it up .... but that?

Staley should have put that type of effort into screaming at refs for missing holding calls.

Players like Staley, they respect him as a good guy;
                          they just don't mind letting him down.
                          I think Staley was hoping if he snatched it up fast enough maybe they wouldnt get the penalty that was coming. Idunno. Overblowing this moment is what TPB does.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X