2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Smith's intangibles worry me/give me the willies.... ?? got burned by Malik McDowell once upon a time, and am cautious w/some of those IDLs.... they don't always pan out/live up to expectations.

and Parham is oft nowhere to be found, McKitty lets the air outta the tires/wind outta the sails w/his hands and pass catching more oft than most would care for, and what if Everett goes down, who you gonna call ??

Kincaid and/or Musgrave seem like solids, and gotta believe that Herb would well benefit from another pass catching TE, and that provides a hedge against Gerald's next contract, which is sooner than later.
    I very much like Kincaid and Musgrave...but dont see them reaching our pick in the second...could be wrong, I hope.

Mazi Smith is a beast...but you arent wrong...there are character questions with the weapons charge...my gut tells me peer pressure, dumb decisions, but a decent kid. Saw a spot where he talks about his activist grandfather...good interview...but deep dive needed there.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

And? I don't see your point. Joey's been good for 10+ sacks every year he's healthy, so we'd have more sacks if he didn't tear his groin.

Watch the tape of Weeks 1 and 2 this season and then all of the games Bosa was out, our pass rush was really good against the Raiders and Chiefs with Bosa and Mack both out there and was anemic for most of the season with Bosa out. Bosa came back against the Rams and clearly suffered a setback against the Broncos in Week 18. He was not benched, he was injured. If you're playing the Staley/Fangio split-safety scheme you need high end passrushers. Period.
      I got nothing against Joey but he is injured every other season. His sack high is 12.5 and he has 3 other seasons below that.

We had 40 without him by adding Mack and Van Noy and other blitz packages.with other players.

My point is we can get another edge rusher in the first or second round or trade for another and still be productive in the pass rush department.

Joey isn't a 15 - 18 sack guy and his trade value could be a lot for us and we need cap space.
      I'd also be happy to keep him if they can redo his deal some way.
      But if we can get a couple of high picks for him. I might just move him.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-20-2023, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Ontario , Canada
        • Send PM

Telesco's wafer thin depth has us w lots of needs everywhere. Use FA to get at least 2 deep Then use the draft to take bpa at areas of need so yes I could see them using the draft #1 for anything WR, RB, TE CB , DT ,LB etc.

Would prefer they use bpa. The tend to lock onto 1 player or a cluster for each pick though . That is why we are taking slight reaches like Pipkins and JT Woods in rnd 3 when they were expected to go later

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I got nothing against Joey but he is injured every other season. His sack high is 12.5 and he has 3 other seasons below that.

We had 40 without him by adding Mac and Van nuys and other blitz packages.

My point is we can get another edge rusher in the first or second round or trade for another and still be productive in the pass rush department..

Joey isn't a 15- 18 sack guy and his trade value could be a lot for us and we need cap space. I'd also be happy to keep him if they can redo his deal some way.
          We don't know this, the sample size with mack is too small.
          this is the worst time to trade him, we finally have 2 top tier edge guys and can feasibly compete for a superbowl fornthe next 2 years.
          I'll take a "down year" if we have to unload everyone in 2026 so long as we can keep the band together these next 2 years.
          2024: Far From Over

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
            Telesco's wafer thin depth has us w lots of needs everywhere. Use FA to get at least 2 deep Then use the draft to take bpa at areas of need so yes I could see them using the draft #1 for anything WR, RB, TE CB , DT ,LB etc.

Would prefer they use bpa. The tend to lock onto 1 player or a cluster for each pick though . That is why we are taking slight reaches like Pipkins and JT Woods in rnd 3 when they were expected to go later
            ??? We made the postseason with the most injured roster in the NFL. That was the depth got us there.
            It's possible to upgrade depth at some positions. Players released, FA will change the picture.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

We had 40 without him by adding Mac and Van nuys and other blitz packages.

My point is we can get another edge rusher in the first or second round or trade for another and still be productive in the pass rush department..

Joey isn't a 15- 18 sack guy and his trade value could be a lot for us and we need cap space. I'd also be happy to keep him if they can redo his deal some way.
              I have similar thoughts, but lean towards keeping him...I think it very possible his best season is still out there, if he gets his head screwed on straight...but definitely truth in your post.
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

I’m seeing mayer get mocked to the chargers a lot…I saw him on TV a few times and for some reason he reminded me of mark andrews from the ravens, but I’m not certain he blocks as well…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, I agree. People are pissed at Joey's mental mistakes in the playoff game and his injury this year. But having a really good EDGE rusher is a must. The contract they gave him signifies that they think he's around longer than Mack... and he's younger. Re-structure Joey... he's got room on the backend of his contract.
                  I agree your spot on man. You can’t trade him. It’s so hard to find an edge rusher. Can’t do it. It’s hard. As great as Will Anderson he’s nowhere near Joey Bosa.

the Bosas are 1 1A Nick and Joey same guy same type. People are so down on Joey he was hurt this year. People want guys to play hurt then they play like shit their like why are they out there? I disagree with Stayley I would’ve had him out there on the final drive He’s younger than Mack and Van Noy. Gotta have him with Derwin James.

look at the Joey Bosa Ohio state draft tape. Guy is a beast. Has wrecked games. In this passing league you need Pass rush. You need edge rush.

he was a knucklehead thier football players football players are knuckleheads.and I understand why he lost his cool. He was getting held the whole game. False starts not being called which messed up his production. So Bosa had to let the ref hear.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

would never sign off on that....

we're finally experiencing a bit of a surge/resurgence, and now we want to go away from what got us here/in gear.... drafting beef/linemen !! ??

NTs don't come along very too often.... if Siaki Ika is within range and others are off the board, he is def under consideration.

if Bijan, Bresee, Tyree and some other enviable round one targets have gone off the board, darn well sure am lookin' @the likes of an O'Cyrus Torrence or Broderick Jones to fortify our line.... our Oline is not set.... when we can both run the ball and give Herb enough time to throw long, only then will I feel comfortable w/our linemen, and.... even then, Herb is coming up for a big payday, so we will need depth on our line, to ameliorate the losses we suffer via FA.

never enough linemen.... the hell w/CBs and the like.... on defense and in the trenches if we ever want to see a Lombardi !!
                    The playoff game I watched seemed to show a deficiency in elite skill players that make those “extra” plays that often can pull wins out of losses. We have not had a burner threat all year, having an entire WR squad of possession receivers with a rocket arm Herbie is not thinking Modern Football. We don’t have an elite back - we have a great 3rd down back we try to use all 4 downs because of this deficiency. then we have a decent JAG in Kelley and apparently a 2nd JAG behind him in Spiller. I’m with the skill gang this year for offense, assuming we sign Pipkins. Put some sizzle on that steak, baby!

We need coaches that can implement a rush blocking scheme they can execute and an elite 1st down back. We need a speed threat that is also a good WR. Guyton is speed but not a great technician (not close).

now if you tell me there’s an elite disrupting NT on the board at Rd1 pick … ok now I am listening. That would make a difference and I’d be fine even if he was the dreaded 2-down NT as long as he was immovable dominating for 2 downs. if we don’t start stopping teams on 1st and 2nd down, 3rd down won’t matter for shit anyway.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

We don't know this, the sample size with mack is too small.
                      this is the worst time to trade him, we finally have 2 top tier edge guys and can feasibly compete for a superbowl fornthe next 2 years.
                      I'll take a "down year" if we have to unload everyone in 2026 so long as we can keep the band together these next 2 years.
                      What about the sample size with Mel Ingram?

I don't necessarily want to trade him but if we need to do something with the cap, I just think he is one who is expendible.

Only 27, many think he is still a stud while we see him injured often taking up 28 mil in cap space ,.....and he is one we can get good something for in return.

Who here thinks he is as good as Nick Bosa? Nick has already surpassed him in production.

I'm not saying he isn't a good player. He also gets a lot of pressure without a sack and he isn't Mel who I wasn't a big fan of.

Just think if we have cap trouble, he is someone I'd consider moving. And yes I realize pass rushers are conveyed,...hence the return for him which could be picks or a pick and a player ,....whatever.

I'd also like to see him have a healthy year with Mack. Something has to happen.

It sucks but teams have done it and it didn't hurt KC. Herberts new deal is coming soon. If we are lucky it will be a year from now after his 4th season. .....or during it.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

What about the sample size with Mel Ingram?

I don't necessarily want to trade him but if we need to do something with the cap, I just think he is one who is expendible.

Only 27, many think he is still a stud while we see him injured often taking up 28 mil in cap space ,.....and he is one we can get good something for in return.

Who here thinks he is as good as Nick Bosa? Nick has already surpassed him in production.

I'm not saying he isn't a good player. He also gets a lot of pressure without a sack and he isn't Mel who I wasn't a big fan of.

Just think if we have cap trouble, he is someone I'd consider moving. And yes I realize pass rushers are conveyed,...hence the return for him which could be picks or a pick and a player ,....whatever.

I'd also like to see him have a healthy year with Mack. Something has to happen.

It sucks but teams have done it and it didn't hurt KC. Herberts new deal is coming soon. If we are lucky it will be a year from now after his 4th season. .....or during it.
                        Difficult decisions coming for sure, I just don't believe it's wise to trade him now that he finally has mack.
                        I don't think we can get much for him in a trade but if you think we can get 2 first then id consider that, the first would automatically go to a passrusher.
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The playoff game I watched seemed to show a deficiency in elite skill players that make those “extra” plays that often can pull wins out of losses. We have not had a burner threat all year, having an entire WR squad of possession receivers with a rocket arm Herbie is not thinking Modern Football. We don’t have an elite back - we have a great 3rd down back we try to use all 4 downs because of this deficiency. then we have a decent JAG in Kelley and apparently a 2nd JAG behind him in Spiller. I’m with the skill gang this year for offense, assuming we sign Pipkins. Put some sizzle on that steak, baby!

We need coaches that can implement a rush blocking scheme they can execute and an elite 1st down back. We need a speed threat that is also a good WR. Guyton is speed but not a great technician (not close).

now if you tell me there’s an elite disrupting NT on the board at Rd1 pick … ok now I am listening. That would make a difference and I’d be fine even if he was the dreaded 2-down NT as long as he was immovable dominating for 2 downs. if we don’t start stopping teams on 1st and 2nd down, 3rd down won’t matter for shit anyway.
                          hey, eye was a receivers guy last go 'round, and am a RB guy this go 'round.... (if it's Bijan

also like some RBs later, i.e. Israel Abanikanda, Camerun Peoples, Ulysses Bentley IV, and Jolt's guy DeWayne McBride.

@WR, F21's Rakim Jarrett looks of intrigue as well, albeit unlike last year, don't see any wideouts early that have me feeling good about their selection as a Charger.

1) DT Brian Bresee, RB Bijan Robinson, OG O’Cyrus Torrence, NT Siaki Ika, NB Brian Branch
                          2) TE Dalton Kincaid, TE Luke Musgrave
                          3) OG Cooper Beebe, CB Emmanuel Forbes, DT Calijah Kancey
                          4) LB Noah Sewell, RB Israel Abanikanda
                          5) OC Eli Cox
                          6) ED YaYa Diaby, CB Julius Brents
                          7) OT Connor Galvin, CB Cameron Brown, RB Camerun Peoples
                          8) DT Dante Stills, OG Henry Bainvalu, ILB Palaie Gaotete IV, RB Ulysses Bentley IV, ILB Drake Thomas, WR Justin Shorter

Comment

Working...
                          X