2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We were NFL #3 in passing yards with significant WR time missed due to injury. The receiving need is deep speed, a guy who can blow past DBs and scare the crap out of them, thereby loosening up coverage. I'd like a top TE but BPA is my favorite at 21. There is no position that I would NOT take if they are easily BPA. PON takes pushes.
    * Sanders got me too. I don't expect this pick but would be very happy with him.
    Top 5 O!

Dude, we got problems on O, including the passing game, that go beyond injuries. We do, fuck stats (last year and this year), cuz only stat that counts is W. And no, I don’t feel better cuz 30 other teams besides us won’t be hoisting a SB trophy this year. You make it sound like if everything else on the team went okay, that #3 in yards would seal the deal…

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      Official 2023 First Round Cluster Version 1.0

Let's start off with the WRs...this is a polarizing conversation, as some on here would think that if we address the position at #21, TT will be reaching or "overdrafting"...because the majority of the better WR prospects this year project heavily to the slot. I don't give a crap about any of that. What I am looking for is a WR that can take the top off defenses, has ball skills to make the tough catches, and shifty YAC running ability. That is the element in this WR group we are lacking. I also expect them to possess enough upside to project as Slayer's eventual fulltime replacement. A prospect that makes an immediate impact, and also projects solidly in this teams future as a starter. To me, that warrants first round consideration.

Jordan Addison WR- I think it is a stretch, but not impossible, that he makes it to us. Maybe not quite as explosive as the next prospect, he is far more polished, and a very safe pick, who will be a welcome addition to our WR group.

Jalen Hyatt WR- Meets all the above criteria, though not as polished, with a limited route tree out the gate....but that isn't what we need him for year 1...we just need a speedy playmaker, who can learn to be a more complete receiver over Slayer's last year or two here.

You can claim TT is reaching if he takes a WR at #21...but if he doesn't, I see little chance he adds anyone who can impact the group significantly in 2023...and if our WR group suffers the same woes as this past season, some of the same people will turn around and claim he had a chance to add a guy in the first, but ignored the need...poor bastard can't win with some fans on here.

In any event, WR isn't my favorite option, but do concede that adding an explosive playmaker here may be prudent.

Bijan Robinson RB- Our run game is a weakness, and improvement here would also benefit the pass game, and keep the defense off the field longer. Bijan is the best back since Barkley, and Ekelor himself has eluded he likes when someone else is sharing the load...one could argue that Bijan-Eke could be the best on paper RB duo in the country next season...and as Eke approaches the twilight of his career, we have a feature back ready to take the reigns full time...not to mention great insurance against our #1RB getting injured and missing time.

Michael Mayer TE- Some will argue that to spend #21 on a TE, they should be a special player...and some here don't think Mayer is. I disagree. I don't care if he doesn't run a 4.5 40....he moves smoothly on that field, and plays fast...and even when he doesn't get seperation, he still catches the ball in traffic, with defenders draped on him...very strong hands. He is also a wrecking ball on the run...and as for blocking, very effective. A true all purpose TE....and one I think will be a top 10 at his position early in his career. Improves both our running and passing attacks day 1.

Brian Branch S-This is a pipe dream, but there is an outside chance teams who can use secondary help dip hard into a decent CB class, and Branch falls a bit. True Staley DB, with versatility to play safety high or low, slot, outside in a pinch, and a fantastic blitzer....oh yea....probably the best tackler in the whole class of defenders. I think everyone can agree we can use THAT.....

Drew Sanders LB- shout out to Ghost, for giving me the balls to project this guy in the first. Fell in love with this kid several weeks ago watching film. I will admit, a raw LB in the first is a tough sell...but this kid is talented, both as an athlete, and an instinctive football player...and a great pass rusher. From the start, as he is working on his game between the tackles, stacking and shedding, he can offer immediate impact as a situational pass rusher, and a special teams ace...and I think he could very well develop into one of the best LBs in the league...great range, great instincts, already shows promise in coverage, pass rushing demon....tons of upside.

O'Cyruss Torrence IOL- This is tough, because I think Salyer deserves a shot at LG...and I think Pip will be back, almost certain of it. But after years of disappointment, I find I am less sentimental. Torrence would be another big addition to this oline,...great for the run game, great for Herbie...if we pick him, Salyer is just gonna have to beat somebody out in camp if he wants to start....championship depth.

Honorable mentions- Van Ness and Foskey are decent edge options, Josh Downs and Zay Flowers, if our staff is really gunning for WR talent, and Addison and Hyatt are gone, Trenton Simpson is another LB I like...Antonio Simpson, another Staley type DB...Devon Witherspoon and Clark Phillips III if we don't bring back Callahan.
      Nice list but first, my thining as of now is WR in teh first round isnt going to happen but hey, i could be wrong. Keenan nd MW arent going anywhere and Palmer has made big strides so imo a rookie isnt going to play much, especially the first half of the season unless we have an injury or TWO there. I dont see an impact drafting a WR in the first round for year 1 with them.

Id love to have Hyatt but id be shocked if we go WR in the first round. I think id rather have Bijan there instead.

Meyers i can but he wont start either over Ingram at first....unless we trade Ingram on draft day after we draft Meyer.

Im ALL FOR BPA in the first round no matter the possition save for QB but thats just how i feel about it with Keenan and MW still going to be here. Plus thats three expensive WRs on the roster next season.

Cooper Kuup was a 3rd rounder and is tearing up this league and he ran a 4.65. Welker ran a 4.6. MW and Palmer are both 4.53, just not the shifty YAC guy we want and imo need more than a 4.3 guy which is the two guys i mentioned above. AJ Brown rn a 4.49 at the combine, which is just slightly faster than Palmer and MW. Deebo a 4.48,...... Route running and scheme plays a part in this as well.

They say in a straight line the diffence in a 4.4 to 4.5 (any tenth of a difference) is 3 feet. Which on a fly route is significant but route running , short area quickness and playing fast are also big contributers. How often do we throw a go route to Guyton? Maybe there will be more with a diferent OC, i dont know but though id love a speed guy, it isnt the most important thing imo.

Deebo is great in space with the ball in his hands and so is Kuup who is much slower.
      I dont see Hyatt as a great route runner. I actually think his team mate Tillman WR might be a better pick in the 3rd or 4th round as opposed to the first round for Hyatt..
      I think he will run a 4.5 anyways. I dont see him as a YAC type like Deebo or Kuup but he does fight for yards and doesnt just go down.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-28-2023, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Let's start off with the WRs...this is a polarizing conversation, as some on here would think that if we address the position at #21, TT will be reaching or "overdrafting"...because the majority of the better WR prospects this year project heavily to the slot. I don't give a crap about any of that. What I am looking for is a WR that can take the top off defenses, has ball skills to make the tough catches, and shifty YAC running ability. That is the element in this WR group we are lacking. I also expect them to possess enough upside to project as Slayer's eventual fulltime replacement. A prospect that makes an immediate impact, and also projects solidly in this teams future as a starter. To me, that warrants first round consideration.

Jordan Addison WR- I think it is a stretch, but not impossible, that he makes it to us. Maybe not quite as explosive as the next prospect, he is far more polished, and a very safe pick, who will be a welcome addition to our WR group.

Jalen Hyatt WR- Meets all the above criteria, though not as polished, with a limited route tree out the gate....but that isn't what we need him for year 1...we just need a speedy playmaker, who can learn to be a more complete receiver over Slayer's last year or two here.

You can claim TT is reaching if he takes a WR at #21...but if he doesn't, I see little chance he adds anyone who can impact the group significantly in 2023...and if our WR group suffers the same woes as this past season, some of the same people will turn around and claim he had a chance to add a guy in the first, but ignored the need...poor bastard can't win with some fans on here.

In any event, WR isn't my favorite option, but do concede that adding an explosive playmaker here may be prudent.

Bijan Robinson RB- Our run game is a weakness, and improvement here would also benefit the pass game, and keep the defense off the field longer. Bijan is the best back since Barkley, and Ekelor himself has eluded he likes when someone else is sharing the load...one could argue that Bijan-Eke could be the best on paper RB duo in the country next season...and as Eke approaches the twilight of his career, we have a feature back ready to take the reigns full time...not to mention great insurance against our #1RB getting injured and missing time.

Michael Mayer TE- Some will argue that to spend #21 on a TE, they should be a special player...and some here don't think Mayer is. I disagree. I don't care if he doesn't run a 4.5 40....he moves smoothly on that field, and plays fast...and even when he doesn't get seperation, he still catches the ball in traffic, with defenders draped on him...very strong hands. He is also a wrecking ball on the run...and as for blocking, very effective. A true all purpose TE....and one I think will be a top 10 at his position early in his career. Improves both our running and passing attacks day 1.

Brian Branch S-This is a pipe dream, but there is an outside chance teams who can use secondary help dip hard into a decent CB class, and Branch falls a bit. True Staley DB, with versatility to play safety high or low, slot, outside in a pinch, and a fantastic blitzer....oh yea....probably the best tackler in the whole class of defenders. I think everyone can agree we can use THAT.....

Drew Sanders LB- shout out to Ghost, for giving me the balls to project this guy in the first. Fell in love with this kid several weeks ago watching film. I will admit, a raw LB in the first is a tough sell...but this kid is talented, both as an athlete, and an instinctive football player...and a great pass rusher. From the start, as he is working on his game between the tackles, stacking and shedding, he can offer immediate impact as a situational pass rusher, and a special teams ace...and I think he could very well develop into one of the best LBs in the league...great range, great instincts, already shows promise in coverage, pass rushing demon....tons of upside.

O'Cyruss Torrence IOL- This is tough, because I think Salyer deserves a shot at LG...and I think Pip will be back, almost certain of it. But after years of disappointment, I find I am less sentimental. Torrence would be another big addition to this oline,...great for the run game, great for Herbie...if we pick him, Salyer is just gonna have to beat somebody out in camp if he wants to start....championship depth.

Honorable mentions- Van Ness and Foskey are decent edge options, Josh Downs and Zay Flowers, if our staff is really gunning for WR talent, and Addison and Hyatt are gone, Trenton Simpson is another LB I like...Antonio Simpson, another Staley type DB...Devon Witherspoon and Clark Phillips III if we don't bring back Callahan.
        Good work, Lone...but I see our biggest need as IDL...followed by RT, WR, Edge and CB, in no particular order...gotta fix that DL...

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nice list but first, my thining as of now is WR in teh first round isnt going to happen but hey, i could be wrong. Keenan nd MW arent going anywhere and Palmer has made big strides so imo a rookie isnt going to play much, especially the first half of the season unless we have an injury or TWO there. I dont see an impact drafting a WR in the first round for year 1 with them.

Meyers i can but he wont start either over Ingram at first....unless we trade Ingram on draft day after we draft Meyer.

Im ALL FOR BPA in the first round no matter the possition save for QB but thats just how i feel about it with Keenan and MW still going to be here. Plus thats three expensive WRs on the roster next season.

Cooper Kuup was a 3rd rounder and is tearing up this league and he ran a 4.65. Welker ran a 4.6. MW and Palmer are both 4.53, just not the shifty YAC guy we want and imo need more than a 4.3 guy which is the two guys i mentioned above. AJ Brown rn a 4.49 at the combine, which is just slightly faster than Palmer and MW. Deebo a 4.48,...... Route running and scheme plays a part in this as well.

They say in a straight line the diffence in a 4.4 to 4.5 (any tenth of a difference) is 3 feet. Which on a fly route is significant but route running , short area quickness and playing fast are also big contributers. How often do we throw a go route to Guyton? Maybe there will be more with a diferent OC, i dont know but though id love a speed guy, it isnt the most important thing imo.

Deebo is great in space with the ball in his hands and so is Kuup who is much slower.
          Why no QB? A good #2 can be used or traded for need.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Why no QB? A good #2 can be used or traded for need.
            In the first round? Or even the 2nd round we arent doing that.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Top 5 O!

Dude, we got problems on O, including the passing game, that go beyond injuries. We do, fuck stats (last year and this year), cuz only stat that counts is W. And no, I don’t feel better cuz 30 other teams besides us won’t be hoisting a SB trophy this year. You make it sound like if everything else on the team went okay, that #3 in yards would seal the deal…
              OK, let's talk offense. #1 production problem was run. Far and away. Period
              Yards passing speak well for Herbert and receivers but at no time have I ever believed passing ypg made us a top offense.
              We need a mix of successful R /P.
              Ws are the product of successful offense, defense and STs that play complementary ball.
              Back to rushing offense.
              Play calling, blocking scheme ? We have players who are better than the numbers they produced.
              The new OC needs to get us into average area at run ypg. That alone would have beaten Jax.
              But it's always about a complete team and we were not in 2022.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Agree with all of this.
                getting me pumped.
                G-Ro knows.

Comment

• rensoul
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Faulty thinking. The Chargers D gave up 360 yards per game. 145 of those came through the ground. Just over 200 through the air. But here is the thing.
                  Not stopping the running game ended up hurting us through the air when it counted the most. Thus the air defense looking good is a bit deceiving. Truth is
                  we couldn't stop the run or the pass. The Jags two games exposed our weaknesses.

There are three things the Chargers need to improve and get over.
                  1. Stop the run on D
                  2. Get our running game in gear
                  3. Get over the historical bad loss in the PO. In that regard it can go two ways. It either gets the players fired up, or the core of this team and
                  coaches are done.

Staley has been sticking to his 3/4 D that is really not a 3/4 in the face of failing to stop the run. He is either stubborn or knows
                  no other way. We hope the OC he brings in knows something about the run game and how to improve. It may mean bringing in a RB or two and changes
                  to the O line.

Telesco and the players seem to trust Staley. We hope that really is the case. Allen for one had some eye raising comments earlier in the year.
                  So we'll see. At any rate due to all the injuries to our best players a proper evaluation of Staley was not possible this year. We have to wait until
                  next year.

This is one of my biggest gripes with Staley. It seems like he's more willing to have a poor run defense if he's able to limit the big pass plays because overall that should lead to less yards given up in a game. That type of approach doesn't account for time of possession, wear and tear on the front 7 over the course of a season and fundamentally goes against being a physical dominant team mindset imo. A team that has poor run defense and a mediocre run game on offense is pretty much the polar opposite of a dominant team.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Yards passing speak well for Herbert and receivers but at no time have I ever believed passing ypg made us a top offense.
                    Ws are the product of successful offense, defense and STs that play complementary ball.
                    Back to rushing offense.
                    Play calling, blocking scheme ? We have players who are better than the numbers they produced.
                    The new OC needs to get us into average area at run ypg. That alone would have beaten Jax.
                    You analysis leads to Bijan at #21. I’d co-sign that, i disagree that a GREAT back doesn’t make a difference vs the long string of JAGs we’ve cycled through. Having that guy to compliment Eke would be fantastic. Could have 3rd down sets with both on the field in various groupings, maybe we won’t see jet sweeps with practice squad players.

they STILL have to fix the blocking scheme - Lombo’s scheme / implementation sucked balls.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You analysis leads to Bijan at #21. I’d co-sign that, i disagree that a GREAT back doesn’t make a difference vs the long string of JAGs we’ve cycled through. Having that guy to compliment Eke would be fantastic. Could have 3rd down sets with both on the field in various groupings, maybe we won’t see jet sweeps with practice squad players.

they STILL have to fix the blocking scheme - Lombo’s scheme / implementation sucked balls.
                      I don't agree that Ekeler is JAG. Do agree that an Elite RB helps.
                      HOF level QB, RB, TE, very good OL is a nice start but not enough.(early Rivers, etc)
                      It takes more than O.
                      If Bijan is BPA when we are on the clock, take him. No reaches.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

No reaches.
                        reaches @21.... Quentin Johnston, Joey Porter, Christian Gonzalez, Addsion, Kelee Ringo, Broderick Jones, Michael Mayer, Jaxon Smith Njigba, Cam Smith, Trenton Simpson, Clark Phillips, Lukas Van Ness, Drew Sanders, Jalin Hyatt, Darnell Washington, Zay Flowers

* there are a good dozen or more busts taken annually in the first round.... rule #1: don't bust.

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Back to rushing offense.
                          Solid takes, agree there’s a lot to work on, including the passing game.

Comment

Working...
                          X