• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Burton
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I wouldn't be surprised that if MN moves up to AZ at 4; the Chargers will move back to 11 and the Cardinals go back up for MHJr
    And I just don’t think Hortiz/Harbaugh have a problem with it. I think they want the picks.
    I could see them telling AZ, “Keep 27. You can have it. We want 35 and 66.”
    LA would then have 11, 2 2nds, 2 3rds and 2 4ths.. And the rebuild begins correctly.
    Or take 27 and then trade down, but that could a lot harder than it looks.

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

From 12.9 to 11.4 looks to be a very minor dropoff...statistically insignificant...
      That's 1.5 yards per catch, 11.6%, and over the course of an 85 catch season is about 128 yards.

It's only been 2 seasons since Hill has left... and Kelce is older, but in addition to having 12.9 yards/reception be the average Kelce during Hill's entire time in KC, it was also the yards/reception for Kelce's final 2 seasons with Hill on the roster.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
        I really feel like Bowers would be so productive with Herbert in This Particular System that he has a bigger impact on games than a stud WR. And as down on QJ as i am...i promise you Harbaugh likely feels he can unlock him. He saw first hand what he can do against his Mich team. The kid needs to shine this season though. But with Bowers being the unicorn he is...in this system he is never coming off the field. He is not a typical TE that is just inline or flex/vert/move. He is also a WR trapped in a TEs body. Lines up XYZ. And what he does after the catch is probably the exact type of thing this team wants. He is a punishing runner. Harbaugh wants big powerful guys. His Mich team this season was smaller at skill spots etc but in the pros he will get massive and powerful. I just think this team is going to be in 12/13 so much that the need for 3 stud WRs isnt as important as having a monster TE room. And given what Bowers does at WR....we could have 3TEs on the field with QJ and its essentially 2WRs in this system with a guy like Bowers. And the idea of drafting a WR in the 2nd round to pair with Bowers? That sounds exciting to me. If we are in 2 WR sets less than 2 TE sets? 11 Personnel days are done for us. How is Bowers not a perfect option? I know we need OL. We need D. I just feel the best way to help a D outside of good players...is keeping them off the field so much. And an offense that CANNOT protect its QB....or run the ball....will never allow a high powered pass attack to even work. Long methodical drives with deeper stuff mixed in. You have to sell the playaction and have to run the ball well to make it work. Bowers helps in all areas of this. Its also not just a build it all this year thing for me this season. It will take 2 drafts and a big Free Agent offseason to build. I think we do well with just the better coaching...but i am still tempered this season. 2025 is that big year imo.

Bowers is a 100 catch 1400 yard receiver in this system and that starts early. Remember TEs are #1 or #2 receivers in Romans offenses. Bowers would eat big with Herbs. And i just feel like they would create a really strong bond with each other. Both nerds Both just high intellect cerebral guys. Im a rugby minded guy in a way...so i see the importance of smart players. High IQ types. This system will resemble that Rugby type of play imo. And Bowers is a monster 8 man. Critical to a powerful rugby team. Usually the main beast on a rugby team. Its all built around the line play and bigger guys who are more powerful runners than twitchy outside guys. Wingers in rugby. I know you are thinking why is Fleet bringing rugby into this...we dont know shit about it...but i think Harbaughs teams over the years are built like Rugby teams. From the inside out.

TE1 - Bowers
        TE2 - Dissly
        WR1 - QJ
        WR2 - Adonai Mitchell or McConkey

That group right there with Herbert is deadly imo. Whatever we do im down for. I love the WRs. I still think if Keenan came out this year...and it was the upgraded version of himself? You get Odunze. When i think of players i dont just throw them in there without thinking about Herbert and the fit. The system is everything. And i just like Rome in this system with Herbert. But Nabers and that deep stuff and his ability to get open underneath help us a lot as well. Its really important for me to think about players in this specific system. We are not the Bengals. This is not a sling it team anymore. Its going to be based off the run game and TE play. And if there is a TE that also does around 5 other things at an elite level? Just the fit i like. Its about fits for me. Harrison would be hard to pass on. I probably go that route...but honestly in this system i just feel like a guy who is Inside/Outside dominant in the passing game helps prolong drives and beefs up a few areas on offense. Not just one. Block. Catch. Run. He does it all.

On the OL i think a guy like Fuaga can do for us what Sewell does for the Lions. Harbaugh will want to do a lot of power runs and off tackle runs and Fuaga would eat up defenders. I just like him the most in the run game out of all the OTs. But thats if we make the Vikes trade. Im not opposed to Alt at 5 as i think he is a very good overall tackle that fits what Harbaugh wants to do. Probably the best overall OT in the draft. Prefer we trade with the Vikes and target OL there at 11 if we are looking at OL. Latham isnt on that level in the run game imo. I do like him however. Just thinking run blocking dominance for our RT prospect. Rather have Bowers over Alt. Bowers wont make it to 11.

But the trade i almost want more than 11/23 is the Giants 6/47/70 for the chance at an elite QB prospect. And thats how im selling these QBs. You could definitely force the Vikes and Giants to compete for that pick. Jones is not the answer in NY. I think you could force the Giants to give up the 3rd this year or next. Take Bowers at 6. If you can move back and get in front of the Jets you might have a chance at Bowers still. But i think he wont get passed the Jets. Maybe even the Titans. He would greatly help out there as well.

I look at this roster build the same way i might if i was preparing for war. For combat. And i look at coaches and systems like i do generals and branches of the military. I understand we have a rocket armed QB. But we are not an air force type attack. Harbaugh and this system will resemble a ground campaign. Built around tanks and A10 Intruders. Close combat warfare versus jets in the sky. lol Bowers is a tank...an intruder...and absolute warfighter. We just drafted a jet. Lets get that thing firing. Its time for hand to hand combat and a ground war campaign. I feel like the best teams in the league are built this way. Dominant run and tight end play. Defenders that can cover jets while your ground attack just forces teams to submit. The fight is no longer about trying to outfly the enemy...its on the ground...in the trenches. Quick strikes and yards after the catch. Run run run and then take strategic strikes. Be so strong and fit...physical that teams just burn out.
        I think you said it all here boss.
        Bowers and McConkley
        Keep the O on the field and score at a ridiculously high rate while winning TOP.
        It'll all make sense when it's over.
        I'm good until next Thursday.
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Pat McAfee had Belichick on. He is going to be with them on draft day talking about...everything. I'm not one to listen to a bunch of podcasts. Most of them are opinions and nonsense but I could of listened to BB for hours.

That guy has some memory of things that happened and even plays.
          Pac Man asked him a question and he went on about a punt return by him that pissed him off before he answered the question lol.

here ya go if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-17-2024, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Random nuggets on the draft, the way I see it...

1. Not gonna put out a final mock yet...I still think it is highly possible a move is made pre-draft, that could shake up the order. The visits are almost complete, the teams will work through the weekend finalizing boards, and discussing strategy, and what they think they need to do...sure, some of the suitors for a trade up may wait to see which QBs go before they decide how much they want to commit to a trade up...but also possible they have enough info to want to lock into a spot.

2. When we drafted Herbert, pre-draft, everyone had a 100 reasons why we shouldn't draft him, fans and pundits alike...in my heart I wanted him the most, but I left off pounding the table for him, cuz there was only a handful of fellow fans who liked the idea as much as me...and I focused on defense, and prepared myself for Lynn running with Tyrod. Not this draft. Bowers is my guy. Boltjolt...my "Bowers Bro"...you may be driving the bandwagon...but you are not alone...a few of us are with you...and I'm calling shotgun. Once again, everyone, fans and pundits alike, are scrapping up reasons why Bowers isn't gonna be anything special...I call bullshit.

3. Just because I'm in on Bowers, doesn't mean I'm not very excited about several other players. I'm gonna be a hard fan to disappoint this year...and also smart enough to respect and appreciate the positive arguments for one of the big 3 wrs, or one of the olineman...been bouncing back and forth, making some of those arguments myself...in the end, I already got my #1 offseason target...Jim Harbaugh. Truly excited to sit back and watch him build the roster. Nothing but gravy from here on out.

4. Of the big 3 wrs, I have an outlying opinion as well. My fav is Odunze. When I watch the tape, to me, their talent levels are all really close. We are talking tenths of points on a scale of 1-100. To my eyes, all 3 are terrific...where I see a separation is in character and fit for a Harbaugh team. Odunze is just a remarkable young man. Total workhorse, totally humble, does it all, and will do anything the coach needs. The best blocker of the bunch by far, while being right there in all the receiving skills. He didn't think he was too big to participate fully in the predraft process...and I think when he gets to our receiver room, he won't walk in like he is the dude...he will consider himself #4 or #5, and set about earning his place. And when he gets targeted 1-2 times in a particular game, I don't see him coming off the field pouting, or feeling like his brand is getting dissed...I'm just not sure I can say the same for the other 2 guys...could be wrong...but I feel sure about this kid, and how he will be a remarkable teammate. Be happy with any of the 3...just got a gut feeling about this kid, not just as a player, but as a teammate.

5. Cooper DeJean is one of my favorite players in this draft...if we get 23 in a trade back, that is the guy I will be watching closely, cringing as each pick is made, hoping it isn't him..until we pick.

6. Some people scoff at the notion of Jim picking MI guys...others think it's cheesy...I don't. Every MI player picked...and I think there could be a couple, along with some UDFAs...will all but be a sure thing....or at least not busts, but reliable additions, either as starters or depth. Think about it...there is no mystery here. Any former player that Jim picks, is picked because Jim KNOWS they fit, will acclimate well, and will get their jobs done. Any former player he picks is extra value, as far as surety, in my eyes.

7. For shits and giggles, I'm gonna say if Jim picks just one former player...it's probably Sainristil...but the second most likely will be Zak Zinter...I think he would be a fine scratch-n-dent special pickup to backup, if not outright start, at the RG position.

All for now...
            Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I did not know this would be an essay final exam.

Soon, the woodMock v5 will appear.
              With minimal comment.
              If you don't understand yet--you never would anyhow.

The gauntlet has been thrown.
              Post your very finest mock within a matter of days.
              Or you will be laughed right out of the arena of football ideas.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

If you want to fill needs, trade with ATL
                Swap 1st round picks + their 2nd and 3rd
                At 8, you could have a playmaker
                With two 2nd and two 3rd, with the quality of this draft ...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I think you said it all here boss.
                  Bowers and McConkley
                  Keep the O on the field and score at a ridiculously high rate while winning TOP.
                  It'll all make sense when it's over.
                  I'm good until next Thursday.
                  That’s a fine Get Open For Herbie club there … I was watching some McConk tape and he was breaking DB’s ankles with his stop starts and cuts
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by bman6555 View Post

Jarrett Stidham is their QB. Show me the last SB team that had a bottom half QB. If you don't have a QB you do whatever you need to get one.
                    Otherwise Denver wastes a year of Surtain and still is behind the 8 ball on picks and cap due to the Wilson and Payton trades.
                    Bottom half? He's average for a backup QB (sorry Beech).
                    You can't win playoff games, much less make it there, if your QB is 5th rate.

They can keep Surtain and if everything goes right, get back to 500.
                    That's fine with me - I will enjoy Donkey forums focused on how Stidham is the worst QB known to mankind,
                    and how its sheer hell being a Donkey fan.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

From 12.9 to 11.4 looks to be a very minor dropoff...statistically insignificant...
                      Then another very minor drop off would be going from 11.4 to 9.9.

Two very minor drop offs.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2024
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Just the opposite. He's a true CB1 guy. He can go one on one and plays mostly on the outside not in the slot. Actually one of his weakness is
                        in zone coverage and doesn't have top end speed. Watch him against Nabers one on one, he did an excellent job.
                        He maybe the best CB coming out of this draft. If it was up to me I'd take him @11 if it goes down that way over a WR or OT. And to boot he's
                        still very young, I think 20 years old.
                        Hey Charger,
                        You are correct that he mostly played outside. I was talking about when they tried him inside at slot and how much better I thought he did there. I didn’t me to be confusing. I just see him as more of a slot corner in the Pros. I saw him in person twice against Texas and both LSU games. I thought he was very handsy. Got away with a lot of grabbing on the outside against more Elite competition. He was better as a Senior and is a willing tackler that’s why I would put him closer to the middle.
                        In my humble opinion, if he was a True CB1 then he should be unquestionably a consideration at pick #5 especially, in a draft so weak in true Top End Defensive Talent.
                        What also gives me pause is that teams would prefer to avoid Koolaid rather than Arnold and Bama’s defense wasn’t that great to employ two CB1’s.

Thanks for the engagement Charger. I’m not trying to debate you, we just see two different usages of this player and that’s probably why he’s a first round talent.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

Hey Charger,
                          You are correct that he mostly played outside. I was talking about when they tried him inside at slot and how much better I thought he did there. I didn’t me to be confusing. I just see him as more of a slot corner in the Pros. I saw him in person twice against Texas and both LSU games. I thought he was very handsy. Got away with a lot of grabbing on the outside against more Elite competition. He was better as a Senior and is a willing tackler that’s why I would put him closer to the middle.
                          In my humble opinion, if he was a True CB1 then he should be unquestionably a consideration at pick #5 especially, in a draft so weak in true Top End Defensive Talent.
                          What also gives me pause is that teams would prefer to avoid Koolaid rather than Arnold and Bama’s defense wasn’t that great to employ two CB1’s.

Thanks for the engagement Charger. I’m not trying to debate you, we just see two different usages of this player and that’s probably why he’s a first round talent.
                          I like him in the slot too. I think they could put him there permanently if they drafted a Melton or Hart.

Comment

Working...
                          X