Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Ninja, I have Simmons in my cluster but am not sold, tell me if you see any of this...

So far, he looks like he’s more “athlete than baller” at this point in his development.
    I need to see more than 2 games but he looks soft and lost sometimes.
    bad pursuit angles and generally raw technique
    my guess is the different things he’s asked to do has likely delayed his development
    not comparable to James as an overall player outside of athletically and versatility
    Speaking of which, I’m skeptical that he’ll be able to thrive in as many roles in the pros.
    Isaiah is absolutely an athlete and a baller!

This is what I see.....
    excellent natural instincts, advanced play diagnosis, S2S range (has range to play FS), outstanding tackler, instant acceleration, ideal length, route recognition is solid, great vision in zone, TURNOVER creator, insane blitz timing, is an absolute FINISHER, has gotten better all 3 years as a starter, eliminated WRS/RB/TE in coverage, loves the physicality of the game, is a defensive chess piece
    continued development needed with stack/shed, disengagement skills, squeezing down on run fills
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

From where I sit I expect two more years from PR. For that reason, I'd pass on a first round QB. I also think Okuna is done (too many health issues). I see 3 guys that may be available at #7 that I really like - Thomas, Wirfs, and Simmons. If they can tab a FA that can play ROT and get Thomas in the draft, we'd be set.

But, here's what I don't know - do they think Pipkins, with a lot of playing time this year, is ready to step in at LOT? If they do, Wirfs makes a lot of sense If they get their ROT from thed FA pool, we can add Simmons in the first and give our defense a big boost. You gotta like picking in the top ten.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Any way you slice it....this is a Gus Bradley player. But again i just cant help but feel that White was supposed to be this versatile type guy for us. Are we done with that experiment? Fans and coaches are always so far apart as far as patience is concerned with the development of a player. Tillery is a bust. Adderley a bust. Blah blah blah. We tend to panic as fans. Coaches and GMs believe in their ability to develop guys. And im not sure they are going to give up on White.

His situational blitzing is why i compare him to James. He moves like him as well. But its his knack for getting after the QB from so many gaps.

Comment

• Classic
          Hall Of Fame
          • Dec 2014
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Any way you slice it....this is a Gus Bradley player.

Only 72 snaps at LBer? Wouldn't he be replacing or at least pushing Perryman/White. Seems like he is more a fit for Phillps role.

Comment

• Classic
            Hall Of Fame
            • Dec 2014
            • Send PM

Have we ruled out Yetuer Gross Matos or A.J Espensa for us? Definitely not PON but could be BPA. They could be a safety blanket if Bosa intends to hold out next season.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Only 72 snaps at LBer? Wouldn't he be replacing or at least pushing Perryman/White. Seems like he is more a fit for Phillps role.
              Kind of viewing him as a Myles Jack type. Some actually thought Jack would be playing S in the NFL. I think Simmons is a guy who primarily is playing on the perimeter. Both Weak and Strong. Nwosu moves into more of a situational role and rotating in at Leo. Remember it was Jacks versatility that made him a projected top 5 pick.

If Simmons were just a WLB no way he gets the love. Have you seen how many times Davis was covering WRs? Its a thing Bradley does that makes me cringe. You dont worry about it with Simmons. He can cover WRs and TEs. He can shoot gaps and sink a QB. He can plug holes in the run game. He does it all very well. Phillips does some things very well.

Take parts of Anthony Barr, Myles Jack and Cam Chancellor and you will get Simmons.

He could time in the 4.3's. He is a legit Money Backer.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Isaiah is absolutely an athlete and a baller!

This is what I see.....
                excellent natural instincts, advanced play diagnosis, S2S range (has range to play FS), outstanding tackler, instant acceleration, ideal length, route recognition is solid, great vision in zone, TURNOVER creator, insane blitz timing, is an absolute FINISHER, has gotten better all 3 years as a starter, eliminated WRS/RB/TE in coverage, loves the physicality of the game, is a defensive chess piece
                continued development needed with stack/shed, disengagement skills, squeezing down on run fills
                A moderator here said that he doesn't fit the Charger D under Bradley. I assume what was meant is that what Bradley would have him do would not utilize him to full strength.

Certainly, you can forget about his insane blitz timing - he generally won't be doing that.

I watched him briefly and although he is very good in the open field tackling, he still looked like a strong safety instead of a will linebacker. Actually, he reminded me a bit of Derwin James.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

A moderator here said that he doesn't fit the Charger D under Bradley. I assume what was meant is that what Bradley would have him do would not utilize him to full strength.

Certainly, you can forget about his insane blitz timing - he generally won't be doing that.

I watched him briefly and although he is very good in the open field tackling, he still looked like a strong safety instead of a will linebacker. Actually, he reminded me a bit of Derwin James.
                  Who was that? lol We dont really have mods that discuss the draft.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Sweet this game is in Skycast. Really get a good look at these 2 QBs and the way they go through their reads. Should be able to see how much more polished Burrows is as far as his timing and when he gets the ball out.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Any way you slice it....this is a Gus Bradley player. But again i just cant help but feel that White was supposed to be this versatile type guy for us. Are we done with that experiment? Fans and coaches are always so far apart as far as patience is concerned with the development of a player. Tillery is a bust. Adderley a bust. Blah blah blah. We tend to panic as fans. Coaches and GMs believe in their ability to develop guys. And im not sure they are going to give up on White.

His situational blitzing is why i compare him to James. He moves like him as well. But its his knack for getting after the QB from so many gaps.
                      Not giving up on White, way too good at his game. Bradley just needs to put him back at his weight/slot instead of trying to make him into Perryman 2.0. Maybe drafting Simmons would facilitate that? I dunno, just bummed such a promising guy his first year has turned so meh. Gotta be a way to get back to the damn good play he was showing last year before the injury. Maybe he’s not sturdy enough for the pros at 218, and needed to bulk up.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Who was that? lol We dont really have mods that discuss the draft.
                        Steve said that

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

There is no doubts on Simmons.
                          There is nitpicking where he can improve his game. He has room to improve technique. And like most, it will happen from more playing time and experience on the field. He would be the most talented linebacker on the roster. His versatility is a huge bonus. He should play WLB in base and money LB in subpackages.

Simmons is both PON & BPA at #7.

The team needs star playmaker at every level of defense.
                          They have Bosa at D-line.
                          They have Derwin at Secondary.
                          But at linebacker no star player. Simmons gives them that star player.
                          I cringe at the thought of going into next season with an oft-injured and non-pass coverage guy like Perryman; along with Old Man Davis whiffing on tackles; Bouncywhiffy Brown at backup, ugh; Trank is the only LB we have besides Perryman who's decent; yes, Simmons would be a welcome and sorely needed addition.

Comment

Working...
                          X