• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Redskins need an OT badly.I expect them to take OT Andrew Thomas, trade Trent Williams, then move Donald Penn to right tackle. They have to protect their young QB better and they have pass rushers on defense in place. Detroit Lions will draft Chase Young.
    first I've read of such a prognostication, and.... tend to agree/suspect you might be spot on, and.... who do you have for NY and then Miami ??

need wise.... seems the both of Epenesa and Okudah would start to be of great consideration ?? ….are either of 'em top five worthy, or is D. Brown the better go/get ??
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

As I said before, in college I think when a QB gets sacked the yardage is taken from their running total. The 21 yards is his total for the year on his stats.

As for the highlight video.... That's what highlight videos are for. I can also make one where Rivers never throws a game ending INT but we know he has done that.
      In games I've seen Herbert in, he isn't a great downfield thrower but of course he will hit on some which are probably in that video. I've seen him play in more than a couple games this year alone.

I am not saying he sux as has been suggested by someone. I am saying imo he is over rated.
      Our offense is not a dink and dunk offense which he excels at so imo he isn't a good fit. He may be better off in a west coast offense.
      LOL...maybe that is where we have a disconnect....when someone claims "overrated", I equate that to meaning, for the purposes of the discussion, that they pretty much suck...i.e., are they or aren't they good enough to be the next Charger's signal caller....

In any event...left wanting to see more from Herbert before I would drop #6 for him...at this point, I saw more in his final game from Fromm, passing wise, than I did Herbert. At this point, I just hope he(Herbert) nails the process and Miami falls in love with him...or if Miami takes Tua, someone else gives us some swag for our #6 to take him.

Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

LOL...maybe that is where we have a disconnect....when someone claims "overrated", I equate that to meaning, for the purposes of the discussion, that they pretty much suck...i.e., are they or aren't they good enough to be the next Charger's signal caller....

In any event...left wanting to see more from Herbert before I would drop #6 for him...at this point, I saw more in his final game from Fromm, passing wise, than I did Herbert. At this point, I just hope he(Herbert) nails the process and Miami falls in love with him...or if Miami takes Tua, someone else gives us some swag for our #6 to take him.
        Over rated means .....to me, he isn't worth a top 10 pick that nearly every pundit has him as,....which also means you need to pay him as such.

I don't think he is the QB that Rivers was coming out. So at #6 I'm going to agree with what you said.

I'm still not feeling the #6 for Fromm either. I think those guys are good value in the 2nd round but will never be the passer Rivers is.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

As I said before, in college I think when a QB gets sacked the yardage is taken from their running total. The 21 yards is his total for the year on his stats.

As for the highlight video.... That's what highlight videos are for. I can also make one where Rivers never throws a game ending INT but we know he has done that.
          In games I've seen Herbert in, he isn't a great downfield thrower but of course he will hit on some which are probably in that video. I've seen him play in more than a couple games this year alone.

I am not saying he sux as has been suggested by someone. I am saying imo he is over rated.
          Our offense is not a dink and dunk offense which he excels at so imo he isn't a good fit. He may be better off in a west coast offense.
          I have said many times that highlight films are deceiving because they only show a guys best plays. I didn't put it in my post to convince anyone Herbert is all world. I put it in there so those who say he can't throw long can plainly see he does throw long. He put up three long TD passes in the USC game this year for instance. He takes what the defense is giving him. Last night the Badgers were playing two deep so he threw the short ones. The one play where he went long, the receiver dropped the ball (that's a year long problem with these WR's)

I'll also say they could have shown plays where he overthrows his receiver on deep throws. He has a tendency to do that.

But, I want the best OT available not a QB.- Unless PR doesn't sign with them. If he moves on they really need a QB.
          Last edited by chargeroo; 01-02-2020, 09:25 AM.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I have said many times that highlight films are deceiving because they only show a guys best plays. I didn't put it in my post to convince anyone Herbert is all world. I put it in there so those who say he can't throw long can plainly see he does throw long. He put up three long TD passes in the USC game this year for instance. He takes what the defense is giving him. Last night the Badgers were playing two deep so he threw the short ones. The one play where he went long, the receiver dropped the ball (that's a year long problem with these WR's)

I'll also say they could have shown plays where he overthrows his receiver on deep throws. He has a tendency to do that.

But, I want the best OT available not a QB who may be a reach.- Unless PR doesn't sign with them. If he moves on they really need a QB.
            There...fixed it for 'ya! This is a good point. Better someone like Wirfs in round 1 who will really help solidify our O-line, which we've been complaining about for YEARS, than reaching for a QB who may turn out to be a journeyman. Now, if someone like Hurts is there in round 2, and he's an upgrade over both Tyrod and Stick, then I would consider pulling the trigger...

Comment

• Silversurfer
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Los Angeles
              • Send PM

I have a feeling the Chargers already have their QB they like other than Burrow. My guess its Tua if he's around when we pick but for some reason its probably a guy from a small school.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

This is definitely gonna be an Interesting off season.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                  I have a feeling the Chargers already have their QB they like other than Burrow. My guess its Tua if he's around when we pick but for some reason its probably a guy from a small school.
                  Maybe Jamie Newman in round 4 or so?

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

But, I want the best OT available not a QB.- Unless PR doesn't sign with them. If he moves on they really need a QB.
                    PR is a short timer, how short is the only question. If TT & Lynn like Herbert, I'd take him. Of course if we don't we'll be drafting top 10 again in the near future. No rush I guess. I just think It's harder to get a good QB than an OL.

ps: Elway used to overthrow his receivers or break fingers. He learned to take something off. Herbert is pretty bright, can probably learn touch.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                      Herbert is pretty bright, can probably learn touch.
                      Hebert was an academic all american with a 4.06 GPA majoring in biology. Yeah, he is smart.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

first I've read of such a prognostication, and.... tend to agree/suspect you might be spot on, and.... who do you have for NY and then Miami ??

need wise.... seems the both of Epenesa and Okudah would start to be of great consideration ?? ….are either of 'em top five worthy, or is D. Brown the better go/get ??
                        1. Cincy = JB
                        2. Redskins move on from Trent Williams. They've been patient and I suspect they hoped TW would come back. They have to protect their young QB if they want him to develop.
                        3. Lions have to take Chase Young. They're missing a pass rusher.
                        4. This move will be controversial as this is a PON move. Giants nab Tristan Wirfs here. RT Mike Remmers is a FA and, quite frankly, is not the guy you want protecting your young QB. In the end, they may trade back if another team wants to move ahead of MIA for QB Tua. But the smart move would be to draft a guy that would make both of your young stars (Jones and Barkley) better. And I'm not so sure another team is going to give up the amount of draft capital necessary to move up to #4 to draft Tua (injury concerns).
                        5. Miami takes Tua.

IMO, Espenesa doesn't have the sudden explosition/acceleration that you need from a pass rusher in the top-10 picks (unlike Young). Okudah is top-10 worthy but CB's aren't the premium position that a QB/OT/pass rusher is. And the CB position is deep this year. Any of those top-5 teams can still get a very good CB in the early 2nd round.

I rarely predict any of the top-5 picks correctly, so it will probably go differently. But this is what I would do if I were these respective teams' GM... based on my philosophy of drafting.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Sam Tevi had a bad year.
                          So did Des King.
                          Okudah = BPA.
                          Breaking news.
                          CB is a position of value.
                          A coverage sack is still a sack.
                          And Epenesa lacks explosion ?