• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think our skill position players are better than BUF's as a group, but our OL is not as good. Ekeler is better than either Singletary or Moss. Allen and Williams are no worse than a push with Diggs and Beasley. We are clearly better at TE. Herbert is a push with J. Allen, though that would be seen more clearly with proper coaching.

Our DL is probably a little better. The LBs are close and their secondary is a little better.

Statistically, the defenses are really close versus both the run and pass.

Yet, they are 12-3 and we are 6-9. Gee, I wonder what the difference between the two teams is.
    OL is such an important difference and one of the main reasons that they have a winning record. They can pass protect Allen for such a long time, and also open up holes for the RBs. Their receivers are also less injury prone and more consistent than any of our guys outside of Keenan. I love Henry but we have no depth after him.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Herbert said he and Lynn have grown close and that the he and the team respect Lynn as a leader. Reminded me of how Rivers praised Norv as things went bad and the team kept him on longer than they should have. Herbert’s endorsement may do the same for Lynn.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
        Herbert said he and Lynn have grown close and that the he and the team respect Lynn as a leader. Reminded me of how Rivers praised Norv as things went bad and the team kept him on longer than they should have. Herbert’s endorsement may do the same for Lynn.
        Yeah that’s unfortunate. What a rookie mistake.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Stockholm syndrome?
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            Gosh dang it Herbert, can you please avoid these rookie mistakes!
            Is he supposed to state publicly that his coach sucks?

Herbert is intelligent and from his previous statements, he appears to be well versed in what approach he should be taking in his public comments. He is adept at avoiding controversy.

At the end of the day, Lynn's coaching errors have been painfully obvious and those errors mean more than "leadership".

General Custer was also a great leader, but he too employed an idiotic strategy that had tragic results for his "team" as well.

The head coach must be a sharp in game tactician. I never want to see another game where the opposing coach takes a much less talented roster and runs circles around our vastly more talented team in a 45-0 shutout loss.

Lynn's historically bad in game ineptness has made us a national laughingstock.

Everyone can see that Herbert has been so good that he has overcome Lynn's ineptness in the games we have won with him at QB. That is not good coaching from Lynn. That is our young stud QB willing us to a win in spite of Lynn's ever present and virtually constant stupidity.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Gosh dang it Herbert, can you please avoid these rookie mistakes!
              Lynn with Rex as DC and Pep as OC. Mark it down

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post

OL is such an important difference and one of the main reasons that they have a winning record. They can pass protect Allen for such a long time, and also open up holes for the RBs. Their receivers are also less injury prone and more consistent than any of our guys outside of Keenan. I love Henry but we have no depth after him.
                BUF has no starting level talent at TE. All of our TEs are better than all of theirs. Parham is a better receiver than Knox, but he is buried behind Henry on the depth chart. That does not mean that he is not a better receiver than Knox.

I agree that BUF's OL is better even though their OL is not great. But we are much better at starting RB and starting TE. The WRs are close, though I would give the edge to ours. I still maintain that no reasonable person would chose Beasley over Williams. The QBs are a push as well. I think our QB has more upside, but their QB has had more time to develop. The defenses are very similarly ranked against both the run and the pass.

The point is that the talent level of the two teams is actually very close. Yet, BUF is 12-3 and we are 6-9. Why is there that difference? I say that the reason for that and the key difference is that their HC is not pissing away win after win. Their head coach and coordinators do not make absurd mistakes like ours do on a weekly basis.

You do not see them blowing 6 double digit leads, losing 4 of those games through the use of idiotic in game strategies. They blew one huge lead, but won the game and blew another double digit lead on the "Hail Murray" pass, which was more of a fluke than anything else. And they have had numerous double digit leads that they could have blown.

You do not see them making keystone cops/clown car time management decisions on a repeated basis.

That is why they are 12-3, which we could easily be, and we are 6-9.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Herbert is intelligent and from his previous statements, he appears to be well versed in what approach he should be taking in his public comments. He is adept at avoiding controversy.

At the end of the day, Lynn's coaching errors have been painfully obvious and those errors mean more than "leadership".

General Custer was also a great leader, but he too employed an idiotic strategy that had tragic results for his "team" as well.

The head coach must be a sharp in game tactician. I never want to see another game where the opposing coach takes a much less talented roster and runs circles around our vastly more talented team in a 45-0 shutout loss.

Everyone can see that Herbert has been so good that he has overcome Lynn's ineptness in the games we have won with him at QB. That is not good coaching from Lynn. That is our young stud QB willing us to a win in spite of Lynn's ever present and virtually constant stupidity.
                  Andrew Brandt had a tweet today that there is "more to being a good GM than picking players"

Now we see these tweets or topics about what makes a good head coach

And I get for both jobs - the intangibles are important . But , a good GM can get the right players for the head coach for the style they play (e.g. The Ravens are GREAT at this!!)
                  And the head coach needs to prepare his team, teach his players so they get better and during the game, execute the game plan and if need be, adjust as needed

All this touchy feeling stuff is mucking up the waters about these roles.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    "Originally posted by chaincrusher

Burrow was in a better position to be named Offensive Rookie of the Year--#1 overall pick, in an offense that throws a lot more, and playing from day 1.

Herbert overcame all of those advantages for Burrow anyway and his dominance would have been even greater if he played from day 1 for the pass happy Bengals as the #1 overall pick with all of the splash plays that Burrow could never dream of making.

This season, Herbert has been spectacular. Burrow has been just a guy."
                    :umm:

Burrow was also in a position to get beat up so much more by being so pass happy and putting so much work on a rookie QB. He ended up on IR.
                    If Burrow played for Chargers it is likely he would be healthy and OROY and Herbert would likely be on IR with Bengals.
                    Credit Lynn for not getting his star rookie QB wrecked and having an OROY season.
                    Blame Crusher for strongly recommending to put much more on Herbert plate and get him beat up like Burrow.
                    Good job Chain, you crushed you star QB and now have to start Tryod rest of season.
                    This is why Lynn is 1000% smarter about football than you could ever dream of being.

You cant just put a big block into a vehicle that canNOT handle the torque and press the pedal to floor, you will wreck!!!!! Like the Bengals did.
                    You cant just go out to track without practice in a compromised vehicle and punch it. You will wreck!!! Like the Bengals did.
                    You have to be smart and and upgrade the frame and everything else needed to handle that power.
                    Until upgrades arrive, you need to play it smart and closer to the vest. And you have to practice at a lower speed and build up confidence.
                    And then you can push it. But still need to stay within your abilities and capabilities and adjust if parts fail (injury) and not over do it.
                    Lynn 2021

While that may have been Lynn's intentions, it certainly could have been better executed. For example, there should be no reason that Herbert was in the Patriots game after the third quarter. It goes against what Lynn was preaching about protecting him. That was when I really knew 100% that Lynn needed to go. I also agree with Guest that we could be throwing it more on first downs to help Herbert out more. If it doesn't work, like it did against the Broncos earlier this past Sunday, then so be it.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Hopefully Spanos learns from that mistake and moves on. Hopefully....

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I wrote this in the other thread but what else can Herbert say? Absolutely nothing or something else if it’s not true. He didn't need to lay it that thick. IMO, the biggest Problem is that the team and players like Lynn too much despite his many shortcomings. We bag his loyalty to the players but I think it works the other way also. He has control of the locker room currently unlike a Matt Patricia or Adam Gase. The only way he goes is if Spanos realize their mistake and intervenes in order to not repeat the 2012 mistake. Or even more relevant example would be the 2019 Falcons with Dan Quinn. And after that, you hopefully get a good HC that has Lynn's leadership and player connection with none of the shortcomings.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I also think that despite some on this board criticizing how Lynn handled the Tyrod to Herbert transition, that everything behind the scene was actually fine. One of the few things Lynn actually did well this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X