• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MusicMakerInMe View Post
    I agree with many recent posts here, the players seem to be responding to Lynn very well. Look at Baltimore, they practically gave up that last quarter vs the Chiefs. I'd have more complaints about that coaching staff than this one. Point blank, the team still has some holes and weak areas on the field that would turn these close games into wins.

If even only a small amount of the on-field issues get addressed during the offseason, I'm confident our coaching staff and players can get into the play-off hunt next year and establish a real solid young core. Yet who says we don't make a good run this season and get that process going sooner?

Trust the process. We've moved on from Rivers and committed to rebuilding, so let them build.

Bringing in veteran players that execute and know how to close out games would help big time on this team more than looking for another coach would.
    Responding well to Lynn? We are 6-15 since the start of last year under Lynn.

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Responding well to Lynn? We are 6-15 since the start of last year under Lynn.
      Why not include the winning seasons before then too? Also this season is not yet over.

Mike McCarthy had a 6-10 season with GB. Edit: At one point they were 1-7.
      Tom Coughlin had a 6-10 season with NY. Edit: At one point they were 0-8.
      Sean Payton had a 7-9 and an 8-8 season with NO. Edit: One season they started 0-4.
      Edit: Doug Pederson went 7-9 with Phi.

All before they won their Superbowls with those teams.

All those teams did bring in (hungry) veterans players to turn the tide on their high-potential younger players.
      Last edited by MusicMakerInMe; 10-13-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• JOJAX85
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Irmo, SC
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AZBolt View Post

The Chargers injury rate the last 5 years is double that of other teams, it's at off the chart levels for years, which is NOT a small sample.....Geeeez are team doctor punctured Taylor's lung administering a shot......Chargers have lost almost half their starters in 4 games......somethings not right in S & C world, the rest of the league don't consistently have this level of injuries.
        You're going to have to show me where we have DOUBLE the injuries of 31 other teams. If that is indeed the case, we don't need to fire the S&C guy. We need to hire an exorcist.

Comment

• Chargerville
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MusicMakerInMe View Post

Why not include the winning seasons before then too? Also this season is not yet over.

Mike McCarthy had a 6-10 season with GB.
          Tom Coughlin had a 6-10 season with NY .
          Sean Payton had a 7-9 and an 8-8 season with NO.
          Edit: Doug Pederson went 7-9 with Phi.

All before they won their Superbowls with those teams.

All those teams did bring in (hungry) veterans players to turn the tide on their high-potential younger players.
          I love how none of those coaches ran conservative cover-zone defenses

non-clutch offense (which can be conservative at times and can’t quite sustain drives) paired with a conservative cover defense is not gonna be the last team standing.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post

I love how none of those coaches ran conservative cover-zone defenses

non-clutch offense (which can be conservative at times and can’t quite sustain drives) paired with a conservative cover defense is not gonna be the last team standing.
            Maybe you need to watch Philly play again, and watch some of GB film of Dom Capers D. Pederson's DC (Jim Schwartz) is a bend but don't break, cover 2 guy who plays mostly zone coverage. Dom Capers D was a zone blitz team, that brought people from a lot of directions, but still was mostly 4 and 5 man rushes, and almost all zone behind it.

And Seattle won a SB using the same defensive scheme, and the famed single high cover 3 D. It can work, but coaches need to elminate the poor coverage spots underneath.

Comment

• chris9341
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

All I know is after watching last nights fiasco with the horrendous play calling at the end of the game Lynn needs to go. You have a QB who is playing lights out for you and it's like you have no confidence in him to lead your team down the field for the gw winning score. 41 secs left to go and you call a run play and in turn have to waste a timeout. Now I'll be the first to advocate that we need to establish a running game but for petes sake that is not the time in the game you want to run the ball. it's like he doesn't have any confidence in Herbert to march the team down the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

Gentleman bet. If he gets fired after the season like most are wishing. I predict he gets hired by Texans And coaches them to post season in 2021.

Whats funny too is how Lynn catches shade being former RB as an HC. But some wanting to fire him are suggesting Eric Bieniemy. Which is strange because he also is a former RB.

What makes him special to me is he took over a team that only won 9 games between 2 seasons 2015-2016 and was in turmoil in regard to support by fans after moving to a new city. And over the next 2 seasons 2017-2018 with absolutely no homefield advantage. Basically all road games. He won 22 games. He did that.

Last year Rivers fell off a cliff and tossed 20INTs
                Lynn dumped him. Drafted Justin Herbert and immediately stated that he was drafted for a reason to be the furture franchise QB. And he was going to let him compete for the starters job in pre season.
                But then there was no pre season to evaluate his development. So he went with the veteran. The veteran gets injured. The rookie gets to audition and earns the job.

He stays with a no excuses, next man up mentality. I think that rubs off on players and they compete and almost upset the Saints, even though they missing many key starters. And during game lost Allen too.

We kept making o-line excuses for Rivers.
                Pouncey, Turner, Bulaga all out. So we are just going to ignore three former pro bowl lineman missing....when that always a big topic of need. Nope Lynn doesn't make it an excuse at all. And his team still competes with back ups rookies udfa all over the field.

So i think it is everything Lynn is having to deal with and his basic approach of team building. That makes me think he is a very good football coach and leader.

I don't grade the result of a play or game. What's important to me is did he put them in position to win.
                If the WR is open for game winning TD and drops it.
                Then I will never blame the HC. If FG kicker missed the game winner. I won't blame any HC for that loss.

I blame HC when players are not interesting in competition and getting better. When they look like they don't care and are just showing up for the paycheck. When they tune out the HC and don't respond, then its time to go. And i think that happened to McCoy. Where none of his players were listening to him anymore or trusting him

I still think Lynn has complete trust from his players.
                1. Rivers did not fall off of a cliff. His OL was below average to terrible for a dozen straight years, and the terrible end of that equation (as happened in 2019) does not work well with a great, but immobile QB.

2. I am not one of the people advocating for Bieniemy, who, in my view, has done nothing but ride the coattails of Reid.

3. You write as if there were no practices in addition to there being no preseason. As I have questioned previously and Cowherd echoed today, how in the world could Lynn not see how much better Herbert is than Taylor before the season started? Seriously, that should have taken just about one practice. There is zero excuse for that.

4. This team has talent and yet Lynn has guided the team to a 6-15 mark in its past 21 games, including 2-10 in its past 12 games. Meanwhile, since the start of last season, the team is 3-13 in games decided by one score, games where coaching can be a much greater factor in the outcome.

5. I blame the HC when we come out flat as a pancake (week 3), when we lose three games in 4 weeks in which we had a double digit lead in the second half after our opponent makes superior adjustments at the half than we do, when we are 2-10 in our last 12 games under the head coach, when we are 6-15 since the start of the 2019 season, and when we are 3-13 in one score games since the start of last season.

6. We have way too much talent on this team to have that kind of record. Our QB is a top 10 QB right now and that certainly was not anticipated going into the season. That means the expectations for Lynn for this team should be raised from what we thought at the beginning of the year. Yet, how many of us had 3-13 as our prediction? Well, that is what we are on pace to accomplish.

6. Lynn is a liability as an in game tactician.

7. Lynn does not excel as a coach with great attention to detail.

Comment

• Chargerville
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Maybe you need to watch Philly play again, and watch some of GB film of Dom Capers D. Pederson's DC (Jim Schwartz) is a bend but don't break, cover 2 guy who plays mostly zone coverage. Dom Capers D was a zone blitz team, that brought people from a lot of directions, but still was mostly 4 and 5 man rushes, and almost all zone behind it.

And Seattle won a SB using the same defensive scheme, and the famed single high cover 3 D. It can work, but coaches need to elminate the poor coverage spots underneath.
                  Last edited by Chargerville; 10-13-2020, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

1. Rivers did not fall off of a cliff. His OL was below average to terrible for a dozen straight years, and the terrible end of that equation (as happened in 2019) does not work well with a great, but immobile QB.

2. I am not one of the people advocating for Bieniemy, who, in my view, has done nothing but ride the coattails of Reid.

3. You write as if there were no practices in addition to there being no preseason. As I have questioned previously and Cowherd echoed today, how in the world could Lynn not see how much better Herbert is than Taylor before the season started? Seriously, that should have taken just about one practice. There is zero excuse for that.

4. This team has talent and yet Lynn has guided the team to a 6-15 mark in its past 21 games, including 2-10 in its past 12 games. Meanwhile, since the start of last season, the team is 3-13 in games decided by one score, games where coaching can be a much greater factor in the outcome.

5. I blame the HC when we come out flat as a pancake (week 3), when we lose three games in 4 weeks in which we had a double digit lead in the second half after our opponent makes superior adjustments at the half than we do, when we are 2-10 in our last 12 games under the head coach, when we are 6-15 since the start of the 2019 season, and when we are 3-13 in one score games since the start of last season.

6. We have way too much talent on this team to have that kind of record. Our QB is a top 10 QB right now and that certainly was not anticipated going into the season. That means the expectations for Lynn for this team should be raised from what we thought at the beginning of the year. Yet, how many of us had 3-13 as our prediction? Well, that is what we are on pace to accomplish.

with point #5: Who gets the credit for the team being ready to play and jumping out to big leads? Someone is watching film and putting players into position to make plays. I understand all the hate for 2nd half play, but backups just dont adjust as well as starters do thats why they are backups.

Coaches coach, players play. These teams we played are not chumps and are not suffering the same injuries we are.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

1. Wrong
                      2. Wrong
                      3. Wrong
                      4. Wrong
                      5. Wrong
                      6. Wrong
                      6 again. Double Wrong.
                      7. Wrong.

:fight:
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolts54
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Send PM

"I blame the HC when we come out flat as a pancake (week 3), when we lose three games in 4 weeks in which we had a double digit lead in the second half after our opponent makes superior adjustments at the half than we do, when we are 2-10 in our last 12 games under the head coach, when we are 6-15 since the start of the 2019 season, and when we are 3-13 in one score games since the start of last season."

I agree. When a team can not play 4 quarters of football and/or the other team figures out what works and what won't way too easily towards the end of the game, that is on the coach. I remember when Rex Ryan displayed what may have been a true feeling of how he felt about Lynn after ESPN profiled Lynn's brush with death on that NFL countdown show. Ask to comment about Lynn, Rex started off with "He may never win a Super Bowl, but...." and then went on to praise his character.

Call it just a throwaway line but I believe Ryan may have been telling us "great guy, mediocre coach." .

Comment

• Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

with point #5: Who gets the credit for the team being ready to play and jumping out to big leads? Someone is watching film and putting players into position to make plays. I understand all the hate for 2nd half play, but backups just dont adjust as well as starters do thats why they are backups.

Coaches coach, players play. These teams we played are not chumps and are not suffering the same injuries we are.
                          I considered the notion that you raised, but I do not see a conflict in my position in this instance. I see Herbert making amazing big plays as the reason for our early leads. I see him often doing this in spite of poor play calling. I think their early leads would be greater with a better offensive scheme. I see Lynn as dragging the team down with his running emphasis, especially on first down as was the case last night. We turtle when we have the chance to put our opponent away while they are on their heels. We play not to lose on offense and defense and we lose--almost every time.

How many times do we give up late points in the first half when we suddenly go into a softer zone, always leaving more time on the clock than the defense being played would allow to expire. It is so frequent that I expect it in every game. I disagree with the strategy altogether. I think we should step on the neck of our opponent and put them away. With more aggressive play calling, we easily could have been up by 24 points at the half last night.

Then, there is the failure to handle the adjustments of our opponents, which is clearly on Lynn. This is so bad that we go from dominating to being dominated. It is ridiculous and yet it has become the norm.

Comment

Working...
                          X