• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foreigner
    Tom Telesco is gone
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

so lemme get this straight: If Chargers play well its Herbert making big plays. If Chargers play bad its Lynn making bad play calls? Does someone else call the big plays that we dont know about? All those bombs we see from Herbert were inside runs called by Lynn and then audibled by Herbert? I dont buy it.

The same coach who calls the inside run early downs is setting it up for the big bomb by Herbert later. Play action only works when you run the ball.

Who gets the credit for the 36 yard draw play Justin Jackson broke off vs NO?
    Who gets credit for Davis INT pick 6 vs TB?
    Who gets credit for Adderly INT almost pick 6 vs NO?
    was it natural ability for these plays, good coaching and film study or combo of both? I say both and when the team plays bad its a combo of both.
    This adds to my point: If the players natural ability is not good enough (ie backups vs starters) then coaching finds it hard to overcome. Since Chargers have been close with their backups we have good coaches.

Yes you can blame coaches for Chargers coming out flat vs CAR. If you dont credit coaches for getting big leads then it seems like blind hatred for Lynn.
    Football games are made of 4 quarters... not 2.....

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
      How come Marty never had a lot of njured players? because he made them train.......

DOLPHINS HATE IT --- EXCEPT SHULA

MIAMI — Dolphins don’t mind strapping on the pads and knocking the daylights out of each other. But tell them to run 12 minutes straight and you’ll see fear in their eyes. “…

"Saxon said the Chiefs had no endurance running drill, but coach Marty Schottenheimer was a big fan of "gassers," the sideline-to-sideline sprints that are another of Shula's favorites (usually after morning practice)."
      Not allowed under the CBA like it used to be.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Not allowed under the CBA like it used to be.
        that's the freaking problem now... and to be honest its not only with the Chargers its the whole league.... (the injuries issue)

Comment

• Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

no.
          getting a big lead = good coaching.
          losing the big lead = bad players.

see i can play this silly blame game too
          You can, but you would play it a little better if you had any factual support for what you are claiming.

By contrast, I have pointed out specific coaching errors that have hurt the team even though we jumped out to a lead. It is possible to have a good overall result despite having to overcome a weakness. There are multiple variables operating simultaneously.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

You can, but you would play it a little better if you had any factual support for what you are claiming.

By contrast, I have pointed out specific coaching errors that have hurt the team even though we jumped out to a lead. It is possible to have a good overall result despite having to overcome a weakness. There are multiple variables operating simultaneously.
            Really?
            if he had any?

Fumbles, interceptions, missed extra points, missed fg, etc. In every damn game there have been costly mistakes by players that took points off the board or gave them to the other team.

But let me guess in your opinion all of the players mistakes are the result of poor coaching.

Your arguement puts Lynn in a lose/lose of anything that goes wrong is his fault. Anything that goes right is someone else's success and done in spite of Lynn being terrible.

I just don't buy what you're selling.
            And I disagree with your point.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Really?
              if he had any?

Fumbles, interceptions, missed extra points, missed fg, etc. In every damn game there have been costly mistakes by players that took points off the board or gave them to the other team.

But let me guess in your opinion all of the players mistakes are the result of poor coaching.

Your arguement puts Lynn in a lose/lose of anything that goes wrong is his fault. Anything that goes right is someone else's success and done in spite of Lynn being terrible.

Heads I win, tails you lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

Really?
                if he had any?

Did we come out flat against Carolina? You can admit "yes" or lie about it, your choice. That is on the coaching.

Why did the momentum change against Tampa Bay and New Orleans?

Against Tampa Bay, we decided to run the ball instead of taking a knee much to the shock of the other, much more intelligently coached, team. That is 100% on the coaches. That is Pisarcik, 1978 Eagles level boneheaded coaching. We did not have adequate time for a drive and we were on our own 6 yard line.

Against New Orleans, the momentum shifted when we called run, run and then could not convert on third down late in the second quarter. This was after we had used the passing attack to generate, not one, not two, but three first half passing TDs. This conservative approach, combined with our usual late in the second quarter/obligatory points surrendered soft zone approach allowed the Saints to drive the field and score a late first half TD. That was a combined coaching suck festival on the part of all of the top coaches and that was when the momentum shift began. That was 100% on the coaches.

Do I really need to discuss the second half adjustment butt kicking that we have received three of the past four weeks, all from well coached teams (Reid, Arians, Payton)? Do you really think it is just a coincidence that when we play against teams with top level coaches, they all happened to roll all over us in the second half.

And where would we be without a questionable referee call at the end of week one and a doctor punctured lung in week two? This "great coach" would have had us at 0-5--with the talent that we have on this roster. Nobody outside of Chargers fandom would have heard of Justin Herbert, a player that is on pace to win the rookie OPOY award. That is absolutely inexcusable.

Do you have any lame excuses regarding why Lynn failed to see the vast difference in ability between Herbert and Taylor, the difference between one of the best starters in the league and one of the worst? How does any competent head coach not see that difference from day 1 on the field?

And what are your lame excuses for the fact that this team with what almost everyone believes has a significant amount of talent relative to other teams, is 2-10 in its last 12 games and is 3-13 in one score games since the beginning of last year, including 1-4 this year in such games (with the one being a referee bailout against the reigning worst team in the NFL as the only thing preventing us from being 0-5 in such games this season)? Doesn't coaching take on more importance in close games? And what is our result in those games? Isn't it disproportionately bad?

You are indeed removing yourself from all bounds of reason to support your absolutely insupportable position that Lynn is a good head coach that should we should keep.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-passing-chronicles-bye-week-333

might want to check out the comments while you're @it,
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

ok i play like this:

Chargers get big lead = good players
                    Chargers lose big lead = bad coaches

vs

Chargers get big lead = good coaching
                    Chargers lose big lead = bad players.

both statements are ridiculous.

If you give credit for one, give credit for all.
                    If you blame for one, blame for all.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Did we come out flat against Carolina? You can admit "yes" or lie about it, your choice. That is on the coaching.

Against Tampa Bay, we decided to run the ball instead of taking a knee much to the shock of the other, much more intelligently coached, team. That is 100% on the coaches. That is Pisarcik, 1978 Eagles level boneheaded coaching. We did not have adequate time for a drive and we were on our own 6 yard line.

Against New Orleans, the momentum shifted when we called run, run and then could not convert on third down late in the second quarter. This was after we had used the passing attack to generate, not one, not two, but three first half passing TDs. This conservative approach, combined with our usual late in the second quarter/obligatory points surrendered soft zone approach allowed the Saints to drive the field and score a late first half TD. That was a combined coaching suck festival on the part of all of the top coaches and that was when the momentum shift began. That was 100% on the coaches.

Do I really need to discuss the second half adjustment butt kicking that we have received three of the past four weeks, all from well coached teams (Reid, Arians, Payton)? Do you really think it is just a coincidence that when we play against teams with top level coaches, they all happened to roll all over us in the second half.

And where would we be without a questionable referee call at the end of week one and a doctor punctured lung in week two? This "great coach" would have had us at 0-5--with the talent that we have on this roster. Nobody outside of Chargers fandom would have heard of Justin Herbert, a player that is on pace to win the rookie OPOY award. That is absolutely inexcusable.

Do you have any lame excuses regarding why Lynn failed to see the vast difference in ability between Herbert and Taylor, the difference between one of the best starters in the league and one of the worst? How does any competent head coach not see that difference from day 1 on the field?

And what are your lame excuses for the fact that this team with what almost everyone believes has a significant amount of talent relative to other teams, is 2-10 in its last 12 games and is 3-13 in one score games since the beginning of last year, including 1-4 this year in such games (with the one being a referee bailout against the reigning worst team in the NFL as the only thing preventing us from being 0-5 in such games this season)? Doesn't coaching take on more importance in close games? And what is our result in those games? Isn't it disproportionately bad?

You are indeed removing yourself from all bounds of reason to support your absolutely insupportable position that Lynn is a good head coach that should we should keep.
                      And Down Goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!

Someone please step in to stop the blood bath !!!!

cut-me-mick.jpg
                      Last edited by PR#1; 10-15-2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• eaterfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

My take on this is so vanilla.

I'm not sure what to do, but I'd move on from Lynn. There is a risk of tremendous downside, though.

Here are the positives for Lynn (and his staff):
                        1. I think Lynn is a great leader of men. I think the players play hard for him and they respect him. I think he's very professional and the guys like him. He's good with the media. I know fans here were all freaking out about what he said about Tyrod being the starter, but I think that's what you have to say in public. I think he knew as well as anyone that Herbert was going to be starting after week 3.
                        2. I think Steichen has good play designs. I'm not saying he's the best, but he's pretty good and we've been a lot more creative with him than we've been in a long time.
                        3. I think the defense has had some nice game plans as well.
                        4. And I think the most important - I have no idea what they did to help develop Herbert's accuracy and help him understand how to move into a pro system from under center versus how much was just Herbert. I fall under the belief that they did a lot to help the rookie out.

My negatives:
                        1. I think he is too conservative - and always has been - This team gets a lead and just tries to hold on for dear life. This was true during 2018, too. The Chargers just got a little lucky that year and unlucky in the other years under Lynn. The run/pass balance has been out of whack in the second half when leading the entire time AL has been the coach. This isn't just a Steichen thing. The defense also starts playing off more and allowing shorter and midrange completions at will. Also, although he's gotten more aggressive on 4th downs, he is a little too conservative still IMO.
                        2. Poor clock management - In the two minute drill they've led with a run every time (except the final drive against TB) if I'm remembering correctly. Before half either take a knee or go for it. This half measure running is going to get a RB hurt, or a fumble, and it reduces the chances of scoring. The Chargers also never seem ready with their next play in the hurry up. And they are never ready to decide whether to go for it on fourth down and burn time outs (this hasn't happened yet this year I don't think). How many times is it 3rd and 8 on the opponent's 38 yard line and the Chargers pick up 6 or 7 and then burn a time out? There was also a pointless challenge during the Carolina game that cost a time out that the Chargers really could have used.

I think he's improved in time management and been a little more aggressive going for it on 4th down, but he hasn't really improved much over the last 3+ years. That's why I think it's time to move on.

The Chargers have another 4 seasons with Herbert on a rookie contract. Wasting another with Lynn could be extremely costly. If it doesn't work out next year then Herbert has to learn a new offense in year 3 of his career. It could definitely blow up in the Charger's face if they get a play caller worse than Steichen and worse QB coach than Hamilton and Herbert reverts back to his Oregon form, but I can't see Lynn coaching this team to a championship and that's the point of playing the games.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Yes. They came out flat vs Carolina.

Did Lynn take over a team from McCoy that had only won 9 games the previous 2 season combined?
                          Did Lynn take over a team that moved to LA and alienated a bunch of its fans?
                          Did Lynn win 22 games in his 1st 2 years?
                          Did Lynn post a double digit regular season wins in 2018? When was the last time that happened, 2009?
                          Did Lynn have an aging QB on the decline throw 20 Int in his 3rd year as HC?
                          Is Lynn still in the middle of his 4th year with a new QB?
                          Was McCoy under .500 career record as Chargers HC?
                          Is Lynn Chargers career record as a HC above .500?
                          Was McCoy minus 43 point differential over his 4 years as Chargers HC?
                          Is Lynn plus 158 point differential during his career as Chargers HC?

You can admit yes or lie about it, your choice. That is on coaching.

Do I really need to tell you the team had Allen-WR vs New Orleans for only 12 snaps and he had 2 catches 29yards with a TD?
                          Do I really need to tell you Allen would have made a difference in the 2nd half?
                          Do I really need to tell you that Bosa was only available for 28 snaps in that New Orleans game?
                          Do I really need to tell you Bosa would make a difference if he was available for more snaps?
                          Do I really need to discuss that Nwosu went out and Hayward went out in that New Orleans games and would have been useful in 2nd half?
                          Do I have to remind you that if Badgely makes the kick, then they win the damn game?

And what are your lame excuses for ignoring the fact that Lynn raved about how talented this kid is right after drafting him?
                          What are your lame excuses for Lynn saying he was going to let the kid compete for the starter spot in pre-season?
                          What are your lame excuses for Lynn admitting he felt a need to protected the kid because he did get any pre-season action?
                          What are you lame excuses for Lynn feeling it was better to start the veteran and take a big picture approach to bringing the kid along?
                          What are your lame excuses for Lynn feeling confident to stay with JH10 even though the kid will surely make some more rookie mistakes and turnovers, like he did vs KC, and the Bucs?

Are they not 1-0 with the vet and 0-4 with the rookie? You can admit yes or you can lie and make excuses about why that is, your choice.

You are indeed removing yourself from all bounds of reason to support your absolutely insupportable position that Lynn is a terrible football coach and any of his players success is in spite of him.

Heads I win.
                          Tails you lose.
                          :larry:
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X