• Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

When you hire a coordinator, you never know how it's going to work out?

Being a HC is like being the CEO of a large company, and a lot of that stuff you used to do in your old job... someone else does.

You have no idea whether someone can handle the "big desk", until they are put in that position.

The Chargers, unfortunately, have always hired retreads or up and coming coordinators.

Marty was a good hire, but couldn't get along with AJ Smith.

Boss Ross was a good hire.

Norv was both a retread and a Coordinator. Should have hired Ron Rivera at that time.

There's no better option on staff, and we're not going to turn it around. I was the one who said someone should get fired if they get embarrassed in Denver. They didn't get embarrassed. But they did do what they have repeatedly done.

The past 2 seasons have shown me that Anthony Lynn doesn't have it as a head coach. He wasn't ready for the big job.

There's no 100% certain candidate out there.

I thought McCoy would be good. I was wrong.

I'm not a "fire the coach" guy. I'm not. I think AL should get to finish the season.

But I think we should hire someone new.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
      When you hire a coordinator, you never know how it's going to work out?

Being a HC is like being the CEO of a large company, and a lot of that stuff you used to do in your old job... someone else does.

You have no idea whether someone can handle the "big desk", until they are put in that position.

The Chargers, unfortunately, have always hired retreads or up and coming coordinators.

Marty was a good hire, but couldn't get along with AJ Smith.

Boss Ross was a good hire.

Norv was both a retread and a Coordinator. Should have hired Ron Rivera at that time.

There's no better option on staff, and we're not going to turn it around. I was the one who said someone should get fired if they get embarrassed in Denver. They didn't get embarrassed. But they did do what they have repeatedly done.

The past 2 seasons have shown me that Anthony Lynn doesn't have it as a head coach. He wasn't ready for the big job.

There's no 100% certain candidate out there.

I thought McCoy would be good. I was wrong.

I'm not a "fire the coach" guy. I'm not. I think AL should get to finish the season.

But I think we should hire someone new.
      I don't want a first time head coach - evne Bieniemy though I doubt he goes in division anyway

I would be okay with a guy who has been HC once and failed, Even Josh McDaniels. Schwartz maybe. Todd Bowles.

If going for a new HC - Fassell or Toub would be interesting names to me

I would also be okay with Marvin Lewis over many first time names. He had a long run in Cincy - mixed bag but had some playoff games . He is used to working for bad owners.

I think today - my combo is Riddick and Marvin Lewis. Tomorrow it probably changes.

Comment

• JOJAX85
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Irmo, SC
        • Send PM

I wouldn't mind trying to lure Dungy out of retirement. I would say he's a better leader of men than Lynn.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I don't want a first time head coach - evne Bieniemy though I doubt he goes in division anyway

I would be okay with a guy who has been HC once and failed, Even Josh McDaniels. Schwartz maybe. Todd Bowles.

If going for a new HC - Fassell or Toub would be interesting names to me

I would also be okay with Marvin Lewis over many first time names. He had a long run in Cincy - mixed bag but had some playoff games . He is used to working for bad owners.
          Would all these HC have a problem if Bosa is out and not playing 4th quarter like happened vs Broncos. Allen gets back spasms and misses most of game.like vs Saints. Ekeler, Turner, Bulaga, James, Harris are not playing.
          Could it possibly be that all HCs would come up a bit short when many of their best players are not on the field?

Belichek.....did he forget to coach?

Why didn't Andy Reid win it all for 20 years until he ended up with his best QB of his career.

Why has Tomlin failed to makes post season when his team losses too many key starters?

49ers were 13-3 NFC Champ last year. Now they are 4-4. Injury is bringing them back down to .500 team.

​​​​​​Remember when Deon Sanders and Charles Haley went from 49ers to Cowboys. Did either sides coach suck or did the players switching teams have the biggest impact.

Whether it's Lynn or a different HC......they will need their best players to remain healthy. No matter if Bradley is gone. The new DC will need healthy Bosa, James, etc.... To be a great defense.

Lynn almost is getting the house of cards to stand up. Fast starts and leads. But it is falling because it really isn't that great of a roster with so many starters out of line up. As soon as Bosa is out. The pass rush disappear completely. Seems more like a talent issue than anything else.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

It's odd how people have a need for others to agree with their view point. I'm fine being wrong. I will say my opinion is terrible and I was wrong when and if Lynn is gone. Until then I still am backing him up.

Did you have to be an asshole and say I'm an idiot for sticking to my opinion? Just say you disagree. Is it that hard?
            Maybe you should consider the merits of his post instead of whining like a baby in a thinly veiled attempt to avoid being confronted with the obvious reality that Anthony Lynn sucks mightily as a head coach.

Everyone is wrong from time to time, but it is not necessary for you to go out of your way to be wrong almost every time you post anything and then to refuse to admit that you were wrong at all costs when it is beyond obvious that you were and are not only wrong, but spectacularly wrong.

Your excuses for Lynn are utterly pathetic, but I will start breaking those down in a few other posts.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Just stop with the injury excuse.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Just stop with the injury excuse.
                If you can build a big lead with injuries - you shouldn't lose a lead to injuries.

These are not 3 point leads after one possession either. These are double digit leads in the second friggin half!

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post
                  What does any HC do when your best pass rusher Bosa is out final 10min. And only plays 30 of 65 snaps.
                  All coaches struggle to get same level of production from back ups who are just guys or replacement that are not as good.
                  ​​​​​
                  Take Brady away from Belichek. And things change.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Take Aaron Donald and Ramsey away from McVay.

Add Mahomes to Reid and he finally wins it all after 20 years.
                  ​​​​​
                  Talent, health, interest, execution.
                  ​​​
                  Big picture. This team starts fast but can't finish. Some impact players like James, Harris, Bosa being on the field in 4th quarter would be enough to change that. Until then Lynn has to find a way to get enough from the other guys. The game plans are giving them a chance. They rarely come out flat so he has them interested. Facyson has to make that play. There was a pick 6 opportunity early in the game for Perryman but he had no idea where the ball was so it only ended up an incompletion.

The players need to step up
                  1. What does any head coach do when the best pass rusher is unavailable? HE DOES THIS: The HC keeps his foot on the fucking gas so that the game never becomes close so that the absence of his great defensive player is totally irrelevant to the outcome. Play to win and stop playing not to lose. Teach the players little things like staying in bounds and keeping their opponents in bounds when we have a big lead and time is a factor. Bad coaching allowed the injury to take on significance it never should have had. How anyone paid to coach an NFL team cannot comprehend and train his team to execute these things is absolutely stunning in its demonstration of incompetence.

2. Your analyses of what is happening with other teams is beyond weak and has nothing to do with why our lame ass HC has coached away 5 double digit leads this season, including 4 in a row with leads of 17, 17, 16 and 21 points. Andy Reid was a great head coach before he came to Kansas City. Brady was only average for New England last year. Donald is better than Bosa. Maybe next time you can just say that Bugs Bunny is gray and white. It would be just as irrelevant, but at least it would be a meaningful and correct statement.

3. Bad coaching strategies have absolutely killed this team in game after game. In fact, I do not think I have ever seen a situation where the coaching has literally been responsible for every single loss that a team has like Lynn has been this year. Too conservative against KC and we lose. We try to run the ball instead of kneeling at our own 6 against Tampa Bay as any intelligent team would have done and we lose. We go run heavy and stop our momentum and give momentum to New Orleans and Denver and we lose. Yes, we could have kicked a game winning FG against New Orleans, but it never should have come to that. We go too conservative in game after game and kill our own momentum, build the other team's momentum and then ease it through to their victory by playing always too soft on defense when we have the lead.

It would be one thing if these problems were isolated, but this bullshit is happening in game after game. Sometimes a head coach earns his promotion to average football fan regardless of his contract. That is the case with Anthony Lynn's absolute bungling of this team's season this year.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

So I was watching the Colts Lions highlights. The Colts on defense have these things, I think they called them interceptions, fumbles and blitz's. They made it really hard on the offense to get going. It seems to me that Gus is not aware of these things. Maybe Lynn (if he were a good coach) would inform Gus of these, maybe even show him video of other teams doing it. Just to let him know they do exist.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If you can build a big lead with injuries - you shouldn't lose a lead to injuries.

These are not 3 point leads after one possession either. These are double digit leads in the second friggin half!
                      Bosa was on the field when building big lead.

He was on field when they started second half forcing 3 and out on Broncos 1st drive of 3rd quarter. While Chargers put up TD and FG to begin the 3rd quarter. So clearly the started out hot in second half.

Bosa left the game early 4th quarter and all of a sudden the pass rush disappeared. And their QB got comfortable and their run game got going.

​​​​​I'm just saying what happened and why. It is never an excuse. Only an explanation of events with reasons. Lynn and Bradley and the players earned the L. There is no excuses. Bottom line Lynn will eventually get replaced if he can't find a way to get his players to get it done.

I'm just of the opinion that an HC change doesn't put Derwin James on the field right now. It doesn't make Bosa healthy for 4th quarter. It doesn't put Ekeler or Harris on the field right away. And those player would do much more for winning than any HC change. And the team clearly has a game plan and motivation to get leads and be in position to win games. Lynn has got to find a way to stop the bleeding. No excuses.

I guess I'm sympathetic because I know what it's like to have a team playing great and then struggle when losing its best talent to injury. Its a real thing. If a bench player got injured. It was a non factor for me and the team. Of my worst starters were out, again. No. Factor. But, When my mvp was out, it was a big impact. It let's you know. It always starts with players and talent. Then it's coaching and execution.

So if your opinion is they are talented enough on defense even without James, Bosa, Harris .....then okay. But my opinion is that those 3 players would change outcomes of close games more than any HC or DC change would do.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• BigBad
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

So if your opinion is they are talented enough on defense even without James, Bosa, Harris .....then okay. But my opinion is that those 3 players would change outcomes of close games more than any HC or DC change would do.
                        You are right because even with those players Lynn's idiocy would keep games close and then F up half of them.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                          So I was watching the Colts Lions highlights. The Colts on defense have these things, I think they called them interceptions, fumbles and blitz's. They made it really hard on the offense to get going. It seems to me that Gus is not aware of these things. Maybe Lynn (if he were a good coach) would inform Gus of these, maybe even show him video of other teams doing it. Just to let him know they do exist.
                          Not that we will ever know - but I would like to know how much input Lynn gives Steichen and Bradley. Like for Steichen - if there is a first down at the Chargers 42 or so - does Lynn tell him, this might be 4 down territory so adjust your play calling accordingly. Meaning, maybe Steichen passes on first down or maybe if its 3rd and 4, he runs to move the chains

Same with Bradley - does he say " lets bring some damn heat right here". I go back to the 3rd and 16 play up 24-10 - the Chargers played soft. Make Lock maybe a quick read and play. I mean, you might get beat for a touchdown but you also might force a punt there to potentially ice the game.

It just seems like every week -- Lynn is losing when it comes to game and clock management.

Comment

Working...
                          X