• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

So the combo of unhealthy o-line and Rivers in a bit of decline had an impact on success.
    gonna have your cake and eat it too ?? which one is it ?? the line or Rivers ??

it's the Oline.... simple as that.... Rivers is damn good w/a healthy Okung, not to mention Pouncey on top of that, and.... you know that.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

thats the kind of logic that is stupid to me

You can hire an OC and QB coach for Herbert
      hire somebody like Vrabel - he is quickly becoming my favorite coach -
      Yes, but if they are any good they leave to become a head coach. The only way to ensure stability is to hire an offensive coach.

The number one priority for the organization should be maximizing Herbert. I think that means bringing in someone who has a tremendous understanding of offense. Lynn is an offensive guy, but I think in his heart he's an old school ground and pound guy. I think a lot of defensive head coaches are the same way. They want to wear teams down, shorten the game, and hold leads with defense. At the end of the day, the HC gets to impose his philosophy over team.

I actually think Steichen has been pretty good. I think Lynn has probably been influencing the decisions to run so much and play prevent defense with the leads. I would worry a defensive minded coach would have the same influence on a creative OC if we got one.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Yes, but if they are any good they leave to become a head coach. The only way to ensure stability is to hire an offensive coach.

The number one priority for the organization should be maximizing Herbert. I think that means bringing in someone who has a tremendous understanding of offense. Lynn is an offensive guy, but I think in his heart he's an old school ground and pound guy. I think a lot of defensive head coaches are the same way. They want to wear teams down, shorten the game, and hold leads with defense. At the end of the day, the HC gets to impose his philosophy over team.

I actually think Steichen has been pretty good. I think Lynn has probably been influencing the decisions to run so much and play prevent defense with the leads. I would worry a defensive minded coach would have the same influence on a creative OC if we got one.
        I still think its about being a head football coach. A good head coach will be able to find good assistants to mentor Herbert. Norv sucked as ahead coach; Visor sucked as a head coach; Lynn I think has his deficiencies.

Comment

• PR#1
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

it's the Oline.... simple as that.... Rivers is damn good w/a healthy Okung, not to mention Pouncey on top of that, and.... you know that.
          He knows it. He's just trolling us

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Why can't both be true?
            He has a great line this year....he is 7TD and 6INT.

And i would say its the Colts defense helping him out the most.
            In the 1st 3 wins. Held opponent to 11, 6 and 11. So 12 pts is all that was needed to win those 3 games.

And vs Bengals after the first 15 min and down 21. They only allowed 2 FG over final 45 minutes of game. River got them back in it with a great 2nd quarter. But I would not say he was great in 2nd half with punt, td, int and fg. But he got the job done and thats all that matters. He can still play even though he is on the decline.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Why can't both be true?
              He has a great line this year....he is 7TD and 6INT.

And i would say its the Colts defense helping him out the most.
              In the 1st 3 wins. Held opponent to 11, 6 and 11. So 12 pts is all that was needed to win those 3 games.

And vs Bengals after the first 15 min and down 21. They only allowed 2 FG over final 45 minutes of game. River got them back in it with a great 2nd quarter. But I would not say he was great in 2nd half with punt, td, int and fg. But he got the job done and thats all that matters. He can still play even though he is on the decline.
              What does not show up in the stat line as much is Rivers is not doing many 3 and outs. He is getting a couple of first downs all the time plus the ineffective running game. That is letting their D rest and not gassed.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

What does not show up in the stat line as much is Rivers is not doing many 3 and outs. He is getting a couple of first downs all the time plus the ineffective running game. That is letting their D rest and not gassed.
                What it shows is Rivers team is 4-2 and our team is 1-4. There were a couple of very vocal posters here blaming everything on Rivers. Clearly they were wrong.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

thats the kind of logic that is stupid to me

You can hire an OC and QB coach for Herbert
                  hire somebody like Vrabel - he is quickly becoming my favorite coach -
                  Ironically their defense sucks. Bowles will hire a DC too.

No thanks to Bowles. He failed once already. Don't care where it was

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

What it shows is Rivers team is 4-2 and our team is 1-4. There were a couple of very vocal posters here blaming everything on Rivers. Clearly they were wrong.
                    I dont remember anyone blaming everything on Rivers. So who exactly was wrong?

I do remember posters criticizing Rivers for some very poor performances, especially vs KC when he threw some inexplicably bad interceptions late in the 4th quarter.

I do remember poster not confident Rivers could keep his turnovers down and 4th quarter turnovers down.

And I remember posters defending Philip by blaming everyone but Rivers for the end result. In a team game, the man who touches the rock every offensive snap cannot be blameless.

I think most thought it was fair to share the blame in a team game.

And for what its worth the Chargers organization was ready to turn the page on Rivers. That is why he is gone. Doubt they do that if they think he has tons of gas left in the tank.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

I dont remember anyone blaming everything on Rivers. So who exactly was wrong?

I do remember posters criticizing Rivers for some very poor performances, especially vs KC when he threw some inexplicably bad interceptions late in the 4th quarter.

I do remember poster not confident Rivers could keep his turnovers down and 4th quarter turnovers down.

And I remember posters defending Philip by blaming everyone but Rivers for the end result. In a team game, the man who touches the rock every offensive snap cannot be blameless.

I think most thought it was fair to share the blame in a team game.

And for what its worth the Chargers organization was ready to turn the page on Rivers. That is why he is gone. Doubt they do that if they think he has tons of gas left in the tank.
                      There absolutely were people here blaming Rivers for almost all of our losses last year. I find it funny that now that he is with a new team and that team is 4-2. Meanwhile our team is possibly even worse than last year and still making the same mistakes that cost us games. The constant between last year and this? Lynn and his mediocre coaching staff (QB coach aside).

I had no problem moving on from Rivers due to his age and what we could do with that money - but only if we had drafted our QB of the future. We did and it looks like TT hit a home run with him.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

There absolutely were people here blaming Rivers for almost all of our losses last year. I find it funny that now that he is with a new team and that team is 4-2. Meanwhile our team is possibly even worse than last year and still making the same mistakes that cost us games. The constant between last year and this? Lynn and his mediocre coaching staff (QB coach aside).

I had no problem moving on from Rivers due to his age and what we could do with that money - but only if we had drafted our QB of the future. We did and it looks like TT hit a home run with him.
                        Well im sure 20int and 8 fumbles pissed them off.
                        But if they know team sports. It's rarely just 1 person to blame.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Colts beat average teams...over the next 10 games they play 6 very good teams including the titans in their own division. I see the colts at best a wild card team and we really will know whether they're good or not when they play the titans twice.

:2cents:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X