• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Neither the Raiders nor Broncos have better talent than we do.
    Broncos, no.
    Raiders I think are have a good roster with some young players.
    Not sure I'd say we are a more talented roster.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Broncos, no.
      The Chargers lead the Chiefs with a rookie QB making his first start
      they lead the Broncos by what 21 points; They lead Tampa by 17; the Saints by a good figure

They have the talent - still need upgrades but this is not the Jets or Jags or Bengals --- they need better damn coaching from the Head ball coach and just average special teams

Average ST : heck would take 16-20 in the league compared to bottom 10%
      A Decent OL: the same - middle of the pack, maybe 12-16 range
      better HC

This team can get a helluva lot more wins

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Stephon Gilmore PFF Grade: 58.0
        Casey Hayward PFF Grade: 58.6

J.C. Jackson PFF Grade: 69.7
        Michael Davis PFF Grade: 69.8

Devin McCourty PFF Grade: 63.8
        Nasir Adderley PFF Grade: 53.4

Kyle Dugger PFF Grade: 60.5
        Rayshawn Jenkins PFF Grade: 65.1

I do not see one secondary as being vastly superior to the other based upon PFF grading. In fact, it looks like our secondary has a small edge at 3 of 4 starting positions, while NE has a larger edge at the 4th starting position. In short, they appear to be roughly the same in terms of overall quality.

Also, I would take Ekeler over any of their RBs.

Newton is terrible.

We should focus on stopping the run and making Newton beat us with his arm.
        First thing you need to take into consideration is PFF is a crap Gauge to use on how players perform.
        Unless you really think Pipkens was a 79 and our best OL in a game he gave up the only sacks of the game, and a holding penalty.

Hayward has been getting burned deep a the last 3-4 games and getting penalized.

Kyle Duggar is Adrian Phillips backup.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-05-2020, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Neither the Raiders nor Broncos have better talent than we do.
          LOL.

​​​​​We know Herbert is the better more talented QB.
          And Allen and Bosa are top players.

But compare whole rosters.

Not that it matters to you. But both Raiders and Broncos have young 1st rd draft picks for their Left Tackles.
          And to be honest, I would have to say right now. They appear to have the better o-line groups.
          Kind of important for QB and RB and the entire offense.
          ​​​​​​
          And then there is this.
          K- Carlson 92.0% FG 96.9% XP
          K- McManus 95.5% 94.7% XP
          K-Badgley 77.3% 89.7% XP
          I'd say they have better kickers too.
          Kind of important to a team, especially the close games, every point matters.

We can keep going. Whose secondary do you like better between Chargers, Raiders and Broncos.

What about TE. Waller, Fant, Henry. They have more speed. Henry I like better. Waller is having more impact in passing game for his team.

D-line. I like Chargers better than Broncos with them missing their star player. But I think the Raiders is about as good as Chargers is right now on the D-line.

How about the RB groups? I think after the starters, they have the better depth.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

:LOL: LOL. The Bullshit-o-meter is through the roof. Nicely Done Chain.

Gilmore was defensive player of the year last year.

Patriots returned 3 of the top 10 DBs last year. And added Veteran D.McCourty to the group.

1. Stephon Gilmore, New England Patriots
            Not satisfied with becoming the best man coverage cornerback in the NFL in 2019, Gilmore was also one of the best slot defenders, and just as adept when the Patriots switched to zone schemes. Quarterbacks targeted him 97 times last season, and he gave up just 48 catches for one touchdown and six interceptions. Allowing a catch rate under 50 percent as a primary island cornerback in man coverage is not something you see more than a few times in a decade.

4. J.C. Jackson, New England Patriots
            Jackson had a lot of help around him in the NFL’s best secondary last season, but his numbers — and great tape — transcend his surroundings to a degree. Last season, no cornerback with at least 50 percent of his team’s defensive snaps allowed a lower opponent passer rating than Jackson’s 35.9, and he allowed just 31 catches on 65 targets for 328 yards, one touchdown, and five interceptions.

9. Jason McCourty, New England Patriots
            No surprise to see three Patriots in the best cornerbacks list after the Pats put up a historically great secondary. McCourty alternated between outside cornerback and the slot in 2019, allowing 28 catches on 49 targets for just 260 yards, no TDs, one interception and an opponent passer rating of 63.3 — the lowest of his career.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

So, Chain what your telling us is....
              A good HC would make sure the game plan is Pass, pass, pass and pass some more with a rookie QB behind a suspect o-line vs Belicheat and Patriots Secondary.

But since Lynn is not a good HC.
              He is going to try and play complimentary football with run/pass balance to keep the pressure off Herbert having to do it all.

Hire Chain as HC. He knows best!!!
              opcorn:

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Broncos, no.
                I’d say we and the Raiders are probably closer across the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

First thing you need to take into consideration is PFF is a crap Gauge to use on how players perform.
                  Unless you really think Pipkens was a 79 and our best OL in a game he gave up the only sacks of the game, and a holding penalty.

Hayward has been getting burned deep a the last 3-4 games and getting penalized.

Kyle Duggar is Adrian Phillips backup.
                  Phillips' PFF Grade is 59.9 (even lower than Duggar's grade). Thank you for helping me further demonstrate my point.

Pipkins is sporting a PFF Grade of 48.9, a low grade that accurately reflects his ineptitude. I agree that PFF analysts make mistakes, but my thinking is that they are likely to even out over a larger sample size.

Hayward's grade reflects a CB that has struggled some. Davis has been the better CB for us this year and PFF's grades accurately reflect that.

In terms of my response to Critty, it should be noted that none of the starting CBs or Ss for the Patriots are elite or "very very good" as Critty suggested. Similar to Hayward, Gilmore has not played as well this season as he did previously.

It would be strange for there to be elite (or very very good) secondary play from any one starting DB, much less multiple DBs, on a team ranked near the bottom in completion percentage allowed and at the very bottom in terms of yards per pass attempt allowed, so the lack of any good individual PFF grades is really no surprise at all and is entirely consistent with the statistical profile of the pass defense as not being very very good by any stretch of the imagination.

Phrased another way, Critty is full of crap.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

Watching Herbert throw 40+ times a game is exciting, but also more chances he gets hit in the knees and we lose him for a long time. I prefer a balanced attack.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

LOL.

​​​​​We know Herbert is the better more talented QB.
                      And Allen and Bosa are top players.

But compare whole rosters.

Not that it matters to you. But both Raiders and Broncos have young 1st rd draft picks for their Left Tackles.
                      And to be honest, I would have to say right now. They appear to have the better o-line groups.
                      Kind of important for QB and RB and the entire offense.
                      ​​​​​​
                      And then there is this.
                      K- Carlson 92.0% FG 96.9% XP
                      K- McManus 95.5% 94.7% XP
                      K-Badgley 77.3% 89.7% XP
                      I'd say they have better kickers too.
                      Kind of important to a team, especially the close games, every point matters.

We can keep going. Whose secondary do you like better between Chargers, Raiders and Broncos.

What about TE. Waller, Fant, Henry. They have more speed. Henry I like better. Waller is having more impact in passing game for his team.

D-line. I like Chargers better than Broncos with them missing their star player. But I think the Raiders is about as good as Chargers is right now on the D-line.

How about the RB groups? I think after the starters, they have the better depth.
                      LOL is right.

it’s a QB league and we have one of the top guys in the league.

Better secondary than the Broncos or Raiders.
                      our LBs suck so they can have the nod.
                      DL is close but we have a top 3 guy. With Miller out were better than Denver.

offense, qbs aren’t really close. We have the edge at the most important position on the field.
                      OL, where a player is drafted doesn’t mean anything.
                      WRs, again we have a top 5 guy. MW is untapped still and Guyton and Johnson are deep threats. Denver and the Raiders have a few guys but nobody at those levels.
                      TE like u say is close.
                      RBs, we might be slightly less. Neither of them have a Derrick Henry or Alvin Kamara/Dalvin Cook.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post
                        So, Chain what your telling us is....
                        A good HC would make sure the game plan is Pass, pass, pass and pass some more with a rookie QB behind a suspect o-line vs Belicheat and Patriots Secondary.

But since Lynn is not a good HC.
                        He is going to try and play complimentary football with run/pass balance to keep the pressure off Herbert having to do it all.

Hire Chain as HC. He knows best!!!
                        opcorn:
                        I am saying that we should not go early down run heavy as the offense sucks when we do that and it has already cost us 5 games that should have been wins and in some cases, very easy wins.

I have been very clear that I believe that we should be passing the ball a lot more. Right now, per the TeamRankings website, we rank 20th overall in our percentage of passing the ball at 57.32%. My view is and has been that that number needs to be up at around 66.67% (which would actually make us second in the league passing percentage). I just about never want to give Herbert less than two chances in every series to get a first down for us through the air. And that includes times in games when we are trying to consume the clock.

That is not the recipe I would recommend for every team, but our passing attack is potent and our ground game is crap. I would give Herbert more chances in the passing game, especially on early downs, and mix in runs to keep the defense honest.

Lynn already has reinforced this week in press conference responses that he wants to be a top 10 team in rushing yards. Since our YPC is crap, that means that we will have to go disproportionately run heavy versus other teams to accomplish that because our anemic ground game will take more attempts to get us into that range. That means emphasizing what we suck at doing (running the ball) and not doing what we are very good at doing (passing the ball). That approach is just asinine and yet it was reinforced again by Lynn just this week.

Against New England, I recommend that we attack their statistically poor pass defense with our statistically good passing offense. If we can get out to a big lead, we can get them out of their running game. Making Newton (4 TDs versus 9 INTs) pass the ball dramatically increases our chances of winning the game. The Patriots absolutely cannot keep up with our explosive offense. The Patriots are a run heavy offense (30th in pass percentage at less than 50%) that wants to hang around with inferior offensive personnel and play scared, Anthony Lynn running the ball a lot football.

Not only would I pass a lot, I would also probably open the game in the no huddle/up tempo offense so that I could maximize the number of possessions in the game. I 100% trust our offense to score on a greater percentage of its possessions than the Patriots. We should be able to move the ball much more effectively than they do. The larger the sample size (the more the possessions), the better it is for us.

Given the nature of the two offenses, the most incredibly mind numbingly stupid thing we could possibly do against the Patriots would be to both shorten the game and minimize the number of possessions through which our offense can distinguish itself from theirs and simultaneously make ourselves less effective per each of our reduced number of possessions.

If this game is coached correctly, there is a clear approach by which we should absolutely wipe the floor with the Patriots by at least three scores. The problem is that the approach would require actual intelligence on the part of Lynn, which, of course, means that it will never happen.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Pass more you say. Yes we know.
                          I want the team to stay balanced. And stay committed to complimentary football. It best for Herbert short term and long term. I truly believe it's a big part of the reason he is having success statistically.
                          Patience young grasshoppers. The arrow is pointing up.

Comment

Working...
                          X