• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Hey pal you should have seen Norv Turner when he was the Dallas Cowboys OC back in the day! Probably one of the greatest OC of all time. The problem is when you are a HC you have so much more to worry about than being a OC... To hire a great OC and believe you are getting a great HC is sort of like Fools Gold thinking, it does happen but not that much and to keep trying this to me would be a big mistake. We've tried this and it's never worked out. The bills have a decent OC, for us to go to the same team again and hire their OC AGAIN could be a recipe for more long time suffering for us Chargers fans. Why take that chance? Do you really want all the Chargers Haters to rant that we again took the OC of the Bills and it didn't work out.

Hate to say it but what the Chiefs did with their young great QB and tried and proven HC worked out perfect. You hire the HC that has been their before and someone who knows how to win these games and marry that with Herbert, period.
    It is why I have had Jim Caldwell on my board - he went to a Super Bowl, he did well in Detroit. Martindale is intriguing as his staff will have an experienced head coach on it. I wonder how much Whiz helped McCoy (before he went to TN) and how much he helped Lynn (before he was fired)

I think for the Chargers - the OC path to HC really has not worked.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      Bills rookie WR Gabriel Davis is going to be a real good one and Beasley is a good slot WR.
      I was really high on Gabriel Davis as a draft prospect. He has had a solid rookie year.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• CTrout
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I doubt they'll seriously consider hiring any of these first time HC candidates. Hiring back to back inexperienced coaches didn't work out...3rd times a charm is probably not what their thinking.

I have a feeling Marvin Lewis will be a serious candidate.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
          I doubt they'll seriously consider hiring any of these first time HC candidates. Hiring back to back inexperienced coaches didn't work out...3rd times a charm is probably not what their thinking.

I have a feeling Marvin Lewis will be a serious candidate.
          I like Daboll and Wink M is interesting to me but guys like Caldwell, Marvin Lewis, Josh McD have one attribute those first timers do not have - experience as a head coach. And Chargers history shows being a head coach has produced better results.

I would be totally fine with Marvin Lewis to be honest. I do like Daboll.

I just think they need to fire Lynn and more forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Hey pal you should have seen Norv Turner when he was the Dallas Cowboys OC back in the day! Probably one of the greatest OC of all time. The problem is when you are a HC you have so much more to worry about than being a OC... To hire a great OC and believe you are getting a great HC is sort of like Fools Gold thinking, it does happen but not that much and to keep trying this to me would be a big mistake. We've tried this and it's never worked out. The bills have a decent OC, for us to go to the same team again and hire their OC AGAIN could be a recipe for more long time suffering for us Chargers fans. Why take that chance? Do you really want all the Chargers Haters to rant that we again took the OC of the Bills and it didn't work out.

Hate to say it but what the Chiefs did with their young great QB and tried and proven HC worked out perfect. You hire the HC that has been their before and someone who knows how to win these games and marry that with Herbert, period.
            I have no issue with the approach that you are suggesting, but I do not see a candidate that fits your model. Also, Norv Turner was not a great OC in Dallas or anywhere else. In Dallas, he had good to great players everywhere. Norv's play calling has always been too predictable.

Daboll was not great in his earlier OC opportunities, but he has clearly grown over the years. His scheme is very good. Many times during the game last night I found myself thinking "nice play call there". there was a lot of creativity and good understanding of situational football.

Also, BUF's OL was bad a couple of years ago and they brought in a whole truckload of OL players to pick from, which is an approach I am hoping we take with respect to our OL as the team has not come close to appreciating the magnitude of its problem in the entire Telesco era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post
              Game plan my ass. If you can't see the difference between these rosters you are smoking somethings
              :smoking:
              Our roster is 100% as talented as Buffalo's.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Our roster is 100% as talented as Buffalo's.
                If you dont count our OL and RBs? Ek is our only good RB and he missed time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If you dont count our OL and RBs? Ek is our only good RB and he missed time.
                  I think our skill position players are better than BUF's as a group, but our OL is not as good. Ekeler is better than either Singletary or Moss. Allen and Williams are no worse than a push with Diggs and Beasley. We are clearly better at TE. Herbert is a push with J. Allen, though that would be seen more clearly with proper coaching.

Our DL is probably a little better. The LBs are close and their secondary is a little better.

Statistically, the defenses are really close versus both the run and pass.

Yet, they are 12-3 and we are 6-9. Gee, I wonder what the difference between the two teams is.

Comment

• KrazyLegs
                    Registered Dude
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Westminster, MA
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I love Stefan Diggs but other than him there’s not much I want on the Buffalo offense. KC has much more talent on offense than Buffalo but Buffalo is running up the score on some pretty decent defenses. Herbert is close to where Josh Allen is right now and Allen is in year 3.
                    Honestly, if you give Herbert the Buff OL, he's better.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It is why I have had Jim Caldwell on my board - he went to a Super Bowl, he did well in Detroit. Martindale is intriguing as his staff will have an experienced head coach on it. I wonder how much Whiz helped McCoy (before he went to TN) and how much he helped Lynn (before he was fired)

I think for the Chargers - the OC path to HC really has not worked.
                      I buy into the Jim Caldwell idea if we switch coaches.

But I'm questioning Daboll. Allen rookie year was nothing special. Then the following year Ken Dorsey as QB coach arrived and Josh Allen took off. Dorsey was with Panthers and was QB coach for Cam in his MVP season.
                      So Dorsey has a legit resume. He also was 2 time NCAA QB of the year.

maybe It's should be Caldwell HC
                      Dorsey OC
                      And Caldwell old DC Teryl Austin who is on Steelers staff.
                      ​​​​​​
                      ​​​​​
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think our skill position players are better than BUF's as a group, but our OL is not as good. Ekeler is better than either Singletary or Moss. Allen and Williams are no worse than a push with Diggs and Beasley. We are clearly better at TE. Herbert is a push with J. Allen, though that would be seen more clearly with proper coaching.

Our DL is probably a little better. The LBs are close and their secondary is a little better.

Statistically, the defenses are really close versus both the run and pass.

Yet, they are 12-3 and we are 6-9. Gee, I wonder what the difference between the two teams is.
                        I dont.

Ekeler is better than Singeltary or Moss but those two are a lot better than Ballage and Kelly and as a tandem are better.
                        Buffalo as i mentioned before doesnt just have just Beasley and Diggs, they also have Gabriel Davis who is better than Johnson and Guyton and Diggs is a lot faster than Keenan.
                        Henry is better than their TEs but as a group theirs is better. After Hunter we have UDFAs who havent shown to be starter worthy and their TEs are steady but not spectacular.....and their OL is MUCH better than ours.

I think your opinion is sprinkled with some homerism since you think we should be 13-2. While we should have won more games we shouldnt be 13-2. Things happen and it just isnt a simple as you want it to be.
                        I keep seeing Critty say if MW catches the pass in the EZ...which he had to lay out for or if our DBs can catch....well shit, our opponents have doe the same things. If Juedy doesnt have crisco on his hands we probably lose that game.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-29-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

"Originally posted by chaincrusher

Burrow was in a better position to be named Offensive Rookie of the Year--#1 overall pick, in an offense that throws a lot more, and playing from day 1.

Herbert overcame all of those advantages for Burrow anyway and his dominance would have been even greater if he played from day 1 for the pass happy Bengals as the #1 overall pick with all of the splash plays that Burrow could never dream of making.

This season, Herbert has been spectacular. Burrow has been just a guy."
                          :umm:

Burrow was also in a position to get beat up so much more by being so pass happy and putting so much work on a rookie QB. He ended up on IR.
                          If Burrow played for Chargers it is likely he would be healthy and OROY and Herbert would likely be on IR with Bengals.
                          Credit Lynn for not getting his star rookie QB wrecked and having an OROY season.
                          Blame Crusher for strongly recommending to put much more on Herbert plate and get him beat up like Burrow.
                          Good job Chain, you crushed you star QB and now have to start Tryod rest of season.
                          This is why Lynn is 1000% smarter about football than you could ever dream of being.

You cant just put a big block into a vehicle that canNOT handle the torque and press the pedal to floor, you will wreck!!!!! Like the Bengals did.
                          You cant just go out to track without practice in a compromised vehicle and punch it. You will wreck!!! Like the Bengals did.
                          You have to be smart and and upgrade the frame and everything else needed to handle that power.
                          Until upgrades arrive, you need to play it smart and closer to the vest. And you have to practice at a lower speed and build up confidence.
                          And then you can push it. But still need to stay within your abilities and capabilities and adjust if parts fail (injury) and not over do it.
                          Lynn 2021

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X