• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Last year Staley had the number #1 defense with the Rams and crowned a genius.

A year later, the Chargers defense is mediocre and its easy to game plan…just run it.

This demonstrates, players are more important than coaches. Extremely disappointed with Spani, not willing to address the glaring problem with OL and DL before FA expiration.

Every fan can see it. I feel sorry for Bosa, James, Herbert, Slater, Allen, Williams, watching management unwilling to pull out the stops like the Rams.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Are we 1-6 or 4-3? Reading all this negative opinion makes me wonder :smoking:

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Chargers held Patriots to 3.6avg on 39 attempts.
        Their main rusher Harris went 23carries for 80yds. 3.5avg.
        They held Jones passing 18/35 for 218yds.

Their issue was offense execution and turnovers.
        The right tackle had a bad day again.
        Judon had 11 pressures and 2 sacks.
        Herbert interception led to a FG before half when Chargers were up 14-10 and Pats cut it to 14-13.
        Then with Chargers up 17-16, Herbert next int goes for a pick 6 and Chargers end up down 24-17. And the defense didn't even get a chance to stop them from scoring that go ahead TD.

The rush defense was improved.
        KIcker was improved.
        Punt returner, I think is improved.

The issue for Chargers is right tackle.
        if you have the RB or TE help block on the right side then they are not out in the pattern. And the opponent can also show a blitzer on that side too so they can put more pressure on the right side. And if the RB picks up the blitzer, that's fine, they opponent still forces Norton to block without help believing that their player will beat him and pressure Herbert. Every team defensive game plan will be to attack the Chargers right tackle. Make the Chargers right side have to deal with pressure all day.

That is the challenge.
        How does Staley get better play from his right tackle?

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Herbert interception led to a FG before half when Chargers were up 14-10 and Pats cut it to 14-13.
          Then with Chargers up 17-16, Herbert next int goes for a pick 6 and Chargers end up down 24-17. And the defense didn't even get a chance to stop them from scoring that go ahead TD.

KIcker was improved.

if you have the RB or TE help block on the right side then they are not out in the pattern. And the opponent can also show a blitzer on that side too so they can put more pressure on the right side. And if the RB picks up the blitzer, that's fine, they opponent still forces Norton to block without help believing that their player will beat him and pressure Herbert. Every team defensive game plan will be to attack the Chargers right tackle. Make the Chargers right side have to deal with pressure all day.

That is the challenge.

steroids

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
            Last year Staley had the number #1 defense with the Rams and crowned a genius.

A year later, the Chargers defense is mediocre and its easy to game plan…just run it.

This demonstrates, players are more important than coaches. Extremely disappointed with Spani, not willing to address the glaring problem with OL and DL before FA expiration.

Every fan can see it. I feel sorry for Bosa, James, Herbert, Slater, Allen, Williams, watching management unwilling to pull out the stops like the Rams.
            He took a bad Wade Phillips defense the year prior and made it #1. That is impressive in its own right even with two premium players in Donald and Ramsey. We’ll get it going here also. Right now the defense cannot beat the better rushing teams but can hold its own against teams like the Patriots. But we need the offense and ST to be more consistent as well. If we make the postseason, it’s all about matchups after that.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Maybe that IS the problem right there, in reverse? Chargers are making it harder for their defense to hold up because of a passing attack that’s easier to defend, less hard on opposing defenses, then quick outs and short fields to other teams offense to ram it down our throat running the ball, then after free shots down the field to a defense already gassed.
              Yeah we need less three and outs from the offense.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Our starting corners man. I guess this is when the two shell look comes in handy because we’ll need it if both don’t play again. Not sure how good the Eagles rushing offense is though.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admin View Post
                  You have Herbert on a rookie deal. He will be making 45M a year soon. Most teams go for it when you have a stud rookie QB. Telesco's uber conservative approach is not good for the team. If you want to build your depth through the draft fine. You better hit on those fucking picks though.

We needed a couple players to push now. OL and DT. Edge. At least one. At least show you are trying? Why are we always ok with players that kill this team? Why do we always believe in players who constantly let us down? You sacrifice the season because you think you can fix them?

Telesco has made some good picks. The main guys have fallen in his lap however. The key to a good GM is his depth. DL? Outside of Bosa? Nada. OL outside of Slater? Nada. So many mid rounders doing nada. There comes a time when you have to put your GM on the hot seat. He is on it.

Year after year... mediocrity and never showing any attempts to fix the sinking ship during the season...makes one wonder if they will ever be able to do things right? You see the top teams make moves on a consistent basis. You see them push and go for broke. The desire to win.

Year after year the losing can become habitual. Teams can expect to lose. Players give up. You ever feel like Telesco has reached that point? Where he wont make a move because he has given up? Why wouldn't he? He has made the playoffs once. If anyone ever just accepted failure...its gotta be him. He does not know how to win. He only produces losers.

He is a losing GM. A GM with no balls. We can expect the same thing weekly. Herbert getting killed from the right side. And Joey being tripled. Protecting the QB and knocking the opponents down are the 2 most critical aspects of winning. TT doesn't get that. We will remain sick. Im tired of waiting until next year. I want it now.

Begging. This is me begging for change. Either get something done Tom...or get the fuck out you passive dickwad. This is war. This is combat. You are shooting down fighter jets with peashooters. Get your guys some help. This is operational malpractice not using everything in your arsenal to get the job done.

Now before you guys jump my bones....you have to know that even the owner of this forum is human. lol I too need to get shit off my chest. Im really frustrated. Tired of mediocrity being the status quo here. It starts at the top. I would kill for new ownership.
                  Damn. Nice post.

I’m a 40 year Bolt’s fan and hope to be one for the next 40. But I have no expectations of ever winning a Super Bowl while the Spanii are owners. Their definition of winning is wealth accumulation. So I hope the sister wins the lawsuit and forces a sale.

And TT’s picture is in the dictionary next to the definition of mediocrity. At least AJ had fire in his belly.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

So true. People forget how bad Brees was in 2003. Benched for Flutie and the team decided to use the No. 1 overall pick on a new QB in 2004. But Rivers held out in training camp, and Brees got another chance and he had a Pro Bowl season.
                    People forget that Brees, in his 3rd year of 2004, was reportedly (according to qb coach) one ineffective offensive series away from being benched permanently for Rivers. They nearly gave up on him.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

People forget that Brees, in his 3rd year of 2004 (game 4), was reportedly one ineffective offensive series away from being benched permanently for Rivers.
                      They nearly gave up on him.
                      They did give up on him, twice: you don’t bench a guy for Flutie, then spend a first round pick on a QB if you haven’t given up on him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

KIcker was improved.

That is the challenge.

I agree about the offense and this is a solid post

but I think Special Teams were a big factor. Roberts didn't have any good returns that I can recall and the Patriots Gunner O had 80 yards of punt return on four punts ranging from 16 to like 23 - so they were getting basically two first downs on those four changes of possession. That puts the defense behind the 8 ball and helped with those FGs - of which they had 4 I believe.

But yes, the offense needs to do a better job - controlling the ball, moving chains, getting ahead of down and distance

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          nice stat!

Its as likely the Charger D kills a drive from a turnover than a stop.
                          One imagines the turnovers will go down; then they are going to have to make more stops or get run over.

Comment

Working...
                          X