• May 2017
    • Send PM

StaleyD is not about stoutness.
    Field position. (ST)
    Turnovers. (Derwin Strip-Fumble)
    Recognize what it looks like.
    The defense is getting better.
    Slowly but surely.
    Now we need to monitor the DB situation, as mentioned.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

They did give up on him, twice: you don’t bench a guy for Flutie, then spend a first round pick on a QB if you haven’t given up on him.
      He was referring to 2004, Drew's breakout season, that he was one bad series away from being benched. You're right though, they did give up on him in 2003, benching him for Flutie then drafting a 1st round QB. Everybody assumed Drew was done - as a Charger anyway - and the shiny new rookie QB was going take over. But Rivers held out in 2004, missing all of training camp and the first two preseason games, and he wasn't ready to be the starter. So they had to go with Brees, and Brees looked completely different than his 2003 self, playing at a Pro Bowl level almost from the beginning of the season. He would go on to win a Pro Bowl nod that season, but powderblueboy was pointing out that even during his first Pro Bowl season they were looking for an excuse to yank him so they could replace him with Rivers for good.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Yup, there was a lotta Brees feelings both ways back then.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

People forget that Brees, in his 3rd year of 2004, was reportedly (according to qb coach) one ineffective offensive series away from being benched permanently for Rivers. They nearly gave up on him.
          It was the Jets game where he nearly got benched before getting the concussion. Luckily he made up for it the following game against the Titans and took off.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            Our starting corners man. I guess this is when the two shell look comes in handy because we’ll need it if both don’t play again. Not sure how good the Eagles rushing offense is though.

Well looks like 6th overall in rushing. Hopefully the offense picks it up this week against a weaker defense.

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

In theory, I actually like Telesco’s approach. With the exception that I hate that he’s aggressive by trading up instead of down. I believe that if the value isn’t there at your pick, try to trade down to get more picks. I also appreciate that he’s more aggressive in FA compared to AJ Smith. The issue is in the player evaluation in both the draft and FA. It has hurt us when we trade up for a player and they don’t work out. It hurts us when we sign a big FA name and they don’t work out. I also wished he paid more attention to the trenches instead of the skill guys, which are nice but not as important. Now a large part of the blame is on the previous coaches as well. From what Rams fans have told me, someone like Les Snead is more willing to trade their early picks away for big names because McVay and his coaching staff can develop the later picks into something good. Their current OL was developed through a lot of years and patience even though most were late round developmental guys. Perhaps Staley and his coaching staff will be the difference for us.

With that being said, I wouldn’t mind having a new GM. TT feels like he has run his course despite his recent draft and FA success. We need someone who is as analytic based as Staley but also has his vision aligned with our HC as well ie. being a team built in the trenches. I do think this new GM should also value a good salary cap situation and draft picks too. Some of the teams with the most sustainable success, ie. Ravens and Packers, have succeeded using this method. The Rams methodology is unconventional to say the least and I’m not sure it won’t blow up in their face. Especially if they don’t win this year. For me it’s equivalent to trading up instead of trading down. I’m all for increasing my chance of succeeding year in and year out. It just made me think of what happened during AJ Smith’s last season with us. If you don’t do this right then it can set you back badly.

On a side note, if Popper is right then they actually believe this to be a two year process and it’s actually next year when they go big.
              You are not wrong. Thanks for taking the time to put down such a well thought out post. I dont mind the theory as well. Building through the draft. Pick up key starters in free agency. If you can roll some cash over to next year. Thats all good.

The problem i have is the misses that are so key to building depth. Swing tackle misses. OG misses. Lack of DL year after year. No real edge threat outside of bosa. He has certainly tried. But im saying he has failed. He has to do better mid round drafting if he is going to live by that rule of building through the draft. If he cant he needs to start to round out his game. And explore trades.

Frankly tired of the future plans. Just feels like we keep kicking the can down the road.

Yes he has picked some fine players between rounds 2 and 7. But there are way more misses. Those misses should be core depth guys imo.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admin View Post

You are not wrong. Thanks for taking the time to put down such a well thought out post. I dont mind the theory as well. Building through the draft. Pick up key starters in free agency. If you can roll some cash over to next year. Thats all good.

The problem i have is the misses that are so key to building depth. Swing tackle misses. OG misses. Lack of DL year after year. No real edge threat outside of bosa. He has certainly tried. But im saying he has failed. He has to do better mid round drafting if he is going to live by that rule of building through the draft. If he cant he needs to start to round out his game. And explore trades.

Frankly tired of the future plans. Just feels like we keep kicking the can down the road.

Yes he has picked some fine players between rounds 2 and 7. But there are way more misses. Those misses should be core depth guys imo.
                Yes he has failed and that’s why he needs to be replaced.

I should add that one of the other things that I appreciated about TT is that there’s rarely drama with him compared to AJ. Even when there’s drama from someone like Weddle. AJ would have made that worse. That’s actually 50% of being a GM, not just nailing picks, trades, and FA. A new GM needs to have that temperament. And then we need at least 25% or better on the other things mentioned such as player evaluation.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

I should add that one of the other things that I appreciated about TT is that there’s rarely drama with him compared to AJ. Even when there’s drama from someone like Weddle. AJ would have made that worse. That’s actually 50% of being a GM, not just nailing picks, trades, and FA. A new GM needs to have that temperament. And then we need at least 25% or better on the other things mentioned such as player evaluation.
                  I would take dramatic if it meant we were in the post season a bunch. lol But i hear you. Id like a little bit of AJs aggressiveness coupled with a little bit of conservatism. I also wouldn't be surprised if Tom is just a puppet for John. I doubt we will ever get a guy that John doesnt want to be besties with. Just look at John staley and TT. They all dress the same. lol Act the same. Skinny little pants. Cute little outfits and matching gear. I think all 3 probably have lululemon shopping extravaganzas together.

I think thats where in lies my biggest concern. Its just spanos. Its the inability to move aside and really let an experienced mind come in and lead us. John Butler was that guy. And this team has always needed a Marty type coach. We just dont do well with the really nice coaches. The cerebral thinkers. Passive non aggressive personalities. I have been saying this for years we tend to take on the personalities of our coaches. When Staley said we would be doing soft camp built around walkthroughs i was a little concerned. Not only are we always hurt...we are pretty soft.

Ill say this about Staley....its way too early for me to judge.....but im tired of guys who talk a good game and dont do anything with it. I want production. I want change. I want hope.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

TT has failed. Winning football begins with a strong OL and DL. Stopping the run is more important than rushing the passer. If you cant stop the run, you have NO defense. TT should have been fired with Lynn.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

TT roster building is questionable for sure.
                      He is on his 3rd HC, his special teams has always been an issue, and often most or part of the offensive line is struggling. His shiny toys are often on the mend. And he does not trade his draft picks for proven veterans or future higher rd picks or to gain additional picks, but instead uses them to move up on unproven rookies. The end result so far is what it is.
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        Yup, there was a lotta Brees feelings both ways back then.
                        I heard there was a flutopian war or something …
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admin View Post

I would take dramatic if it meant we were in the post season a bunch. lol But i hear you. Id like a little bit of AJs aggressiveness coupled with a little bit of conservatism. I also wouldn't be surprised if Tom is just a puppet for John. I doubt we will ever get a guy that John doesnt want to be besties with. Just look at John staley and TT. They all dress the same. lol Act the same. Skinny little pants. Cute little outfits and matching gear. I think all 3 probably have lululemon shopping extravaganzas together.

I think thats where in lies my biggest concern. Its just spanos. Its the inability to move aside and really let an experienced mind come in and lead us. John Butler was that guy. And this team has always needed a Marty type coach. We just dont do well with the really nice coaches. The cerebral thinkers. Passive non aggressive personalities. I have been saying this for years we tend to take on the personalities of our coaches. When Staley said we would be doing soft camp built around walkthroughs i was a little concerned. Not only are we always hurt...we are pretty soft.

Ill say this about Staley....its way too early for me to judge.....but im tired of guys who talk a good game and dont do anything with it. I want production. I want change. I want hope.
                          It’s too early to judge Staley but I feel like we’re trending in the right direction with him. Our injuries are much better this year than the last two years. It’s because Staley understands sports science, analytics, and the holistic approach ie. his use of yoga before we practice.

I also think you’re remembering Butler too fondly. The guy wreck the Bills before he left for SD, and he wrecked our cap situation when he was here also. His draft picks and FA signings were also awful with the exception of LT, Brees, Jammer, and Donnie Edwards.

Comment

Working...
                          X