• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I would replace MW with Herbert’s name instead.
    Herbert is more consistent than people give him credit. Some of his throws have been off but I'm not going to put that on all on Herbert's hurried throws. We should say if the entire receiving core does well so do the Chargers.

:shifty:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Herbert is more consistent than people give him credit. Some of his throws have been off but I'm not going to put that on all on Herbert's hurried throws. We should say if the entire receiving core does well so do the Chargers.

:shifty:
      There have been a ton of drops as well from guys that normally dont drop the ball. Some of the drops have been tipped for INT's as well.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2020
        • Send PM

Interesting perspective where Herbert was still ranked 8th among QBs in week 11.

“Perhaps I'm just wearing powder blue-colored glasses, but Herbert's bad weeks are never as bad on tape as I expect. His problems against the Vikings on Sunday were twofold: His defense (which wasn't getting off the field) and his pass protection. The Chargers were so consistently confused about where the Minnesota pressure was coming from that they eventually gave up trying to figure it out and simply counted on Herbert to get rid of the ball quickly. This is no way to coach one of the game's best deep throwers.”@

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

It may not have dawned on Lombardi he doesn’t have slow and immobile Drew Brees who needed to stay in the pocket. Herbert is quick and elusive with his long strides and youthful legs. He should be getting more designed out of the pocket plays which frustrate defenses and keep them guessing.

There’s two types of coaches. One that forces players to fit their scheme and the other that builds the scheme to suit the players strength.

Which is Lombardy?
          So much for all that Staley stuff about "maximizing player strengths"...make sure Lombo gets that memo...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
            Interesting perspective where Herbert was still ranked 8th among QBs in week 11.

“Perhaps I'm just wearing powder blue-colored glasses, but Herbert's bad weeks are never as bad on tape as I expect. His problems against the Vikings on Sunday were twofold: His defense (which wasn't getting off the field) and his pass protection. The Chargers were so consistently confused about where the Minnesota pressure was coming from that they eventually gave up trying to figure it out and simply counted on Herbert to get rid of the ball quickly. This is no way to coach one of the game's best deep throwers.”@
            If Lombo had a thoroughbred, he'd probably turn it into a plowhorse...

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I would replace MW with Herbert’s name instead.
              This. So much this.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

If the league didn’t have the blueprint for beating Lombardi/Herbert, they sure do now. How many starters were the Viks missing on D? Just look what you can do with backups. It’s not even exotic.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

If the league didn’t have the blueprint for beating Lombardi/Herbert, they sure do now. How many starters were the Viks missing on D? Just look what you can do with backups. It’s not even exotic.
                  Yep...really basic defense, daring us to throw long:

1. Stack the box with frequent blitzing
                  2. Single high FS who plays only 10-15 yards off the LOS
                  3. Picket fence D on 3rd and long

Until Lombo starts dialing up some long balls, we can expect more of these defenses vs. us the rest of the year...
                  Last edited by Topcat; 11-18-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

FiveThirtyEight
                    How Can The Chargers Help Justin Herbert?

Halfway through the longest NFL regular season in history, Los Angeles Chargers fans must feel like they’ve already lived through two miniseasons: the one where…

...most of Herbert’s passing stats are slightly down from 2020. Los Angeles didn’t bring in Brandon Staley to replace fired head coach Anthony Lynn and hire offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi this offseason to help its new franchise quarterback play worse — but that’s what’s happening, at an accelerating rate.

Why? Well, for starters, Herbert isn’t getting much help.
                    Pro Football Focus’s grades assign weight to drops based on how easy the catch appears to be — and Williams’s drop grade is a miserable 39.0, ranked 97th among 103 qualifying receivers.9 Allen isn’t much better; his 62.1 drop grade is ranked 70th. No. 3 wideout Jaylen Guyton is just ahead of Williams, ranked 95th with a 43.8. Add in tight end Jared Cook’s 58.710 and four of Herbert’s top five targets are letting a lot of on-target passes hit the turf.
                    But not all of Herbert’s passes have been on target. Through L.A.’s big Week 5 win over the Cleveland Browns, Herbert’s rate of off-target passes was an 11th-best 13.6 percent; since then, that rate has been 15.7 percent, just 23rd in the league. His adjusted completion rate was 72.4 percent through Week 5 but is 68.0 percent since. That doesn’t sound like much of a dip, but which throws were off-target mattered a lot: His expected points added (EPA) per dropback fell from 0.25 to -0.01. He went from doing as much as any quarterback save Matthew Stafford to put his team in position to score to doing less than the likes of Geno Smith and Trevor Siemian.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Obviously its this coaching staff not Herbert.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

The Chargers RB situation is dire. We have Ek and nobody else. If JJ could stay healthy we’d be in better shape but he can’t. He’s proven that. They should at least give Bradwell a look now because after 9 games we know Kelly and Rountree aren’t the answer. Either that or pick somebody off the street.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Is it just me or are all the threads turning into the same conversation?

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X