• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JAFA
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Agreed. My take away is that it's one thing to expect your veteran all-pro QB (Brady, Rogers, Allen, Mahomes, Stafford, Wilson, etc) to carry the team - it's quite another to expect a 2nd year QB, with new coaches and a new system, to do that. I find it absolutely amazing that the kid has managed all of the pressure as well as he has so far, but the margin for error is non-existent. It's really unfair what's being asked / expected of him, but Staley doesn't have much choice give the current state of the roster.

I get the sense that the entire team is just barely hanging in there by their fingernails.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

yeah this week he threw for 525. In on a week to week basis
      Burrow had his full compliment of receivers Sunday.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
        Day One...
        • Mar 2019
        • Brentwood, 94513
        • Send PM

We are very fortunate to get Herbert. I give zero fucks about the other quarterbacks. Some day they do better than Herbert, but those are fewer than Herbert doing better than them.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Burrow had his full compliment of receivers Sunday.
          Have you ever seen a QB that's more accurate than Burrows?
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The problem with Herbert having an off day is that there is literally nobody on the roster to pick up the slack. We have a bad defense and no real running game. If Herbert doesn't perform at a high level we are in trouble.
            Agree times 3.

What TT/Staley need to realize is, little players that could ala Guyton and Jackson and Cook et al are not potent enough O weapons to defeat the teams we need to defeat. They aren’t. We will have cap space next season, buy a ring for Herbert. Do it.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Somebody posted Kurt Warner’s YouTube analysis of Herbert after the KC game. It’s worth a watch
              That was a very good overall analysis done by Warner involving the many things Herbert does well and also the things Herbert can improve upon. This offensive system is def complex, but it is a system Herbert can continue to grow in. I think there are many plays still to be had in this Lombardi offense when Herbert gets more comfortable running it, which will only make the Chargers that more daunting to matchup against. This season has certainly not gone the way I was hoping, but the future looks very bright for the Staley / Herbert combination with additional experience and added talent to the roster.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2018
                • Send PM

Who still wants to pretend like Telesco doesn’t influence who Staley plays even if Staley wants to play someone else?

Literally the only fucking reason that Pipkins for example is still on the roster. Jerry Tillery is a massive fucking bust and Staley himself probably knows it but Telesco doesn’t wanna look like a bigger fool than he already is so there is a mandate to keep playing him a ton of snaps.
                Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Pipkins has finally started to flash. Available OL snaps, and their inherent benefits are rare. Schofield and Norton are becoming semi-adequate on the right side.

At DT, Fehoko has a different role than Tillery. I hope no one around here or at Charger podcasts would try and suggest that we have no need to draft Jordan Davis because...Fehoko.

DT is an expected problem area in switching from Bradley to Staley concepts. New, improved talent and a healthy JJones will be welcomed. SJD looks more plausible with the development of Gaines across town and the LAR cap situation.

Real solutions--not clickbait.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by JAFA View Post
                    Agreed. My take away is that it's one thing to expect your veteran all-pro QB (Brady, Rogers, Allen, Mahomes, Stafford, Wilson, etc) to carry the team - it's quite another to expect a 2nd year QB, with new coaches and a new system, to do that. I find it absolutely amazing that the kid has managed all of the pressure as well as he has so far, but the margin for error is non-existent. It's really unfair what's being asked / expected of him, but Staley doesn't have much choice give the current state of the roster.

I get the sense that the entire team is just barely hanging in there by their fingernails.
                    Headline:
                    Powder Blues have COVID Blues.

Kinda simple.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Who still wants to pretend like Telesco doesn’t influence who Staley plays even if Staley wants to play someone else?

Literally the only fucking reason that Pipkins for example is still on the roster. Jerry Tillery is a massive fucking bust and Staley himself probably knows it but Telesco doesn’t wanna look like a bigger fool than he already is so there is a mandate to keep playing him a ton of snaps.
                      I have thought this - is Staley being influenced to play Tillery or Murray over say Caraun Reid. As Caraun Reid may not be great - but he wouldn't have been worse than Murray on Sunday

Linval Joseph post COVID is not the same player - could Fehoko playing a few more snaps have helped

The Chargers margins are so narrow - that literally one defensive stop could be enough in some of these games.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

The Chargers defense was better under Gus D last season than it is this season with supposed defensive guru Brandon Staley. Can you handle that smoke Brandon?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Murray isnt playing much and is making the same money as Tillery if not more. Murray gets 1 more season to show he can do something so that theory by whoever Joe Reedy is isnt true. Not sure id hang my hat on his opinion.

Pipkins looked like dog shit in preseason we all saw it, but he looked pretty good in his lone start this year so evidently he has improved and thats what the coaches see in practice while we do not see any practices. And Pipkins is dirt cheap and wont be a big financial loos to cut him and isnt taking up much cap space either.

Tillery....idk ...Telesco has released failed players before that he signed as Free agents and has released draft picks so i dont think he is stubborn there if he feels they arent cutting it.

That said, id be trying to trade Tillery in the off season.

Comment

Working...
                          X