• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

We sucked all year on defense except for a couple of games where we played average. I see no originality or good training with subpar tackling and zero focus. Some people can train and coach and some people can't. It's unfortunate that he has been saddled with a lot of young players on defense but so what. I think we would have had drastically better results with an experienced defensive coordinator. For sure better instructions in the latter part of the game where it really counts for a win or loss is huge. The only bright spot on defense this year is Rumph.
    It's pretty clear we don't have the players to run the D he wants. I expect a dramatically better D next season.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

It's pretty clear we don't have the players to run the D he wants. I expect a dramatically better D next season.
      Can't be worse than the bottom rung of the ladder.

:coffee:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I think the thing that we as fans are forgetting is that this young team is in its first year with the offense and defense. The guys on D have gone from a basic 4-3 to a complicated 3-4. It takes a while to really get it to where they are playing fast. Then add in we have no depth (thanks TT) and the complicated defense looks terrible on TV. Then add the elevated expectations that a 4-1 start gave us and it is really frustrating.

I know as Charger fans we have had "wait till next year" beaten into us ad nauseum but I think we will see a way better defense next year with some new players and guys with a full year under their belts in this system.
        I agree.... Staley was given a very untalented defense to start with, especially depth wise.... and learning new schemes on defense , offense and ST's...throw in injuries, covid, etc..... Chargers have done surprisingly well.... Texans are the only team we have lost to that is not as good as chargers..... but that can happen when your defense cannot stop the run..... all other losses were to teams that are at least a little bit better than chargers.... in talent overall....

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

true.... its one thing to review previous years film, its another to actually work with these guys for a season.... there will be some serious personnel changes..... on defense and on offense....

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

true.... its one thing to review previous years film, its another to actually work with these guys for a season.... there will be some serious personnel changes..... on defense and on offense....
            One thing is better than years past - nobody is complaining about the ST as much. Long is the weak link now. Imagine if we replace him with Matt Araiza...

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The defense was better last season under Gus D. Without Derwin. That’s all you need to know.
              Interesting take.. the Gus defense seems to have given up many leads late in games in recent years, but I am not sure anyone can argue your point from a purely statistical comparison though.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

if Denver loses out, which I hope they do because I would like to see them fire Fangio. And if that happens, I don't care if Hill has only been the DC for a year, you get Fangio to LA ASAP as the DC. Staley gives the reins to Fangio as play caller and he can focus on being the HC. If they can do that with a good offseason in acquiring the players they need, this can be a quick turn around on the defensive side of the ball.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Send PM

One thing is better than years past - nobody is complaining about the ST as much. Long is the weak link now. Imagine if we replace him with Matt Araiza...
                  How high would you draft Araiza? He's available THIS coming draft now.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

How high would you draft Araiza? He's available THIS coming draft now.
                    I just read an article that he is expected to be at least a mid day 2 draft pick.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

You can only do so much with bad groceries.

Staley CB was in off coverage and got beat on a 9 route for a TD, that not supposed to happen to a CB unless he played that snap like hot garbage.

Staley dials up a great run blitz late in game when it's still a one score game and his guys whiffs vs Burkhead. When Burkhead is better than your linebacker on a got to have it play, well..... you kind of know how good your roster is.
                      Not good enough. As Staley said he didn't coach well enough. And his defense did play well enough. But the defensive talent played as good as they could that day, which was not good enough to defend the 9 in off coverage. Not good enough to stop run with 8 man fronts or make the tackle on a got to have it run blitz. Make the plays and win the game. They couldn't do it.

The Chargers are limping to the finish line. Herbert will have to carry them.
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

At the risk of some flameage, here are some facts after this weekend's game:

1. The popular theory was that we had to win 2 of the last 3 to get in the playoffs. So, the downside to this loss is that we need to win the last two and a get a bit of help. However, we had a decent chance if we dropped only one game, and that is still true.

2. As far as home games in the playoffs, that was largely dead after the KC game. Our best chance was to get the 5th seed and then hope we played the 6th or 7th seed in the AFC-CG. That was an unlikely scenario, so again, not much has changed on the "home playoff game" front. it was a long shot after the KC game and now it is simply dead.

3. We had a swiss cheese BEFORE we played the Texans without some of our best defensive players. Of course there was a chance the our D was going to suck (and it did). However, just like against KC, the defense held up for a while, and then fell apart in the 2nd half.

4. Derwin James - a hamstring injury is different than playing on gimpy knee or ankle. if you pull it again because you came back too soon, it is OVER. he would automatically have to sit for multiple weeks and probably miss the playoffs. The key thing for a hammy is to get it fully healed, then you are usually as good as new (I pulled my hammy this year playing softball - I was fucked up for a few weeks and then it just went away with the right amount of rest). If sitting DJ for the Texans means that we have him back for the rest of the season and playoffs, then it was absolutely the right call (no matter how shitty the D was against the Texans).

So, as ugly as the game was, and it was fucking ugly, we can still pull this off if we win out and BAL and MIA lose a game. If we lose another game, then yes, we underachieved and shit the season away. let's see what happens...

Comment

• SBbound
                          Casual fanatic
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Merced/San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

So, as ugly as the game was, and it was fucking ugly, we can still pull this off if we win out and BAL and MIA lose a game. If we lose another game, then yes, we underachieved and shit the season away. let's see what happens...
                          I thought it was, win out and BAL OR MIA lose a game???

Comment

Working...
                          X