[QUOTE=Charge!;n1307203]
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Our defense was maybe the worst in football:

- Worst 3rd down defense
    - worst 4th quarter defense
    - worst run defense most weeks of the season
    - almost worst in points given up
    - worst at stopping a team that absolutely really needs to score

One of the big issues about the INT's is that because the defense is so bad, Herbert knows he has to score on every drive to win..... most of our wins we scored nearly every time we had the ball..... maybe punting only once per game....

So I agree... our primary focus should be to improve this defense:
    - we need a number 1 shut down type CB like Surtain(likely has to be a first rounder)
    - we need a real every down dominating DT who stuff the run and collapses the pocket...likely 2nd round
    - we need at least 2 more fast ball hawking CB's for depth and to eventually start....
    - we need at least one real every down all round LB who stuff the run, kills QB's and can cover when needed (like Seau).....

On Offense we need:
    - a solid starting RT (draft or more likely FA) (after 2 great games, why was Pipkins not playing RT against raiders? and why did we not help the RT?)....coaching questions there?
    - a solid starting RG (draft or more likely FA)
    - 2 big bruising durable power RB's to go with scat backs Ekler and Jackson
    - 2 speed burning WR's to stretch the field, run reverses, WR screens, etc.....maybe do returns...
    - a real every down TE who can catch and be a dominating red zone threat..... (assuming cook is cut and Parham retires for health/sanity reasons)

I know that is alot, but if we prioritize defense in draft and we help the offense with FA OL and maybe TE, and a big RB....then throw darts at some mid to late round speedy WR's to compete where we keep best 2 or so....

What I cannot figure out is how all of those sucky defensive players the Chargers cut, suddenly learned how to play much better on raiders being coached by a horrible coach we cut..... our offense struggled at times against those guys, though refs were letting them hold all day...... those ex-chargers DB's when they were chargers got targeted by our opponents and burned whenever they really needed a first down or score...

Staley improved that ram defense last year......
    Your list is a little long for the cap space and draft picks

CB1
    IDL - two of them besides bringing back Justin Jones. One can be cheaper for depth
    Edge: whether its Nwosu or a free - somebody better opposite Bosa
    RT - for sure
    RG: Aboushi could be back plus Jaimes was redshirted basically
    WR: probably only have room for one burner

Its a big list but also is doable

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Oh !!! New and better players, nothing else ! Keep using that as an excuse to the extreme and the equipment manager could run this team. New and better players fixes EVERYTHING !
      Actually, getting the most out of the players you have is critical to success. And that’s coaching.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• BlackMamba
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

I think the mission for the offseason is as simple as can be. Honestly, we have the hardest parts completed - franchise QB, stud LT, do-it-all RB, two elite to borderline elite WRs, a top pass rusher, and a game-changing defensive chess piece...all in hand. Rehaul the D-line outside of Bosa, fix the right side of the O-line, and keep adding to the secondary...we have the resources to do all of this. In terms of on-field play - 1) don't be the worst team in the league against the run, 2) don't be the worst defensive team in the league on 3rd down, and 3) improve in short yardage situations on offense (get a tank at RB2, please!). Is that not doable? We're literally an 11-12+ win team if we're merely average on defense, and convert some of those 4th downs...

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Staley would make a good DC if that’s how he was hired. Not buying into him as a HC-DC all in one, then making critical decisions on offense as well.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BlackMamba View Post
            I think the mission for the offseason is as simple as can be. Honestly, we have the hardest parts completed - franchise QB, stud LT, do-it-all RB, two elite to borderline elite WRs, a top pass rusher, and a game-changing defensive chess piece...all in hand. Rehaul the D-line outside of Bosa, fix the right side of the O-line, and keep adding to the secondary...we have the resources to do all of this. In terms of on-field play - 1) don't be the worst team in the league against the run, 2) don't be the worst defensive team in the league on 3rd down, and 3) improve in short yardage situations on offense (get a tank at RB2, please!). Is that not doable? We're literally an 11-12+ win team if we're merely average on defense, and convert some of those 4th downs...
            Your take is good.

I would just add that an upgrade at TE would really help all our other offensive weapons. Look around the league at the top offenses and most feature much better TE’s than our lot.

Look what Beelichik paid for Hunter Henry. He knows how important that position is. Telesco doesn’t. Hopefully Lombardi does and can lean into a big upgrade at that position.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Staley would make a good DC if that’s how he was hired. Not buying into him as a HC-DC all in one, then making critical decisions on offense as well.
              So who would your choice be for head coach?

As from what I saw of him - I want him to hire Fangio to be the DC as for me, I actually liked how he coached the actual game portion. He wasn't afraid to lose.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Haven’t rechecked the stats, but I think our D improved significantly the second half of the season, maybe middle of the pack? Not saying that to not make changes, but we replace Tillery’s and Murray’s snaps with ??? better players, that would be huge, just those two pieces.

And if we keep the O intact, those drive-killing drops better stop (they won’t, Herbert gets pressured, throws a bit too soon or off, the ball goes clang…need a new right side,Aboushi back and ???).

Noy buying we didn’t make the playoffs cuz of the D, all season long our losses - just like the last one - were solid team efforts, mistakes in every facet.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

Oh !!! New and better players, nothing else ! Keep using that as an excuse to the extreme and the equipment manager could run this team. New and better players fixes EVERYTHING !
                  So you want to fire the head coach after his first season where he finished with a winning record. So new GM, new coach and all new staff because that's what a new coach does 95% of the time. That puts Herbie with his 3rd coach(es) in 3 seasons and I cannot think of a better recipe for success than that.

Yup........junk it and start over because we totally suck..........

Comment

• DennisR91
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    Haven’t rechecked the stats, but I think our D improved significantly the second half of the season

Noy buying we didn’t make the playoffs cuz of the D, all season long our losses - just like the last one - were solid team efforts, mistakes in every facet.
                    i friendly disagree

i still think the o line sucks at times
                    run wise
                    ekeler Just good makes them look good
                    Why can t the other rbs run they don’t suck that mich

aometimes Herbert not enough time to throw

and I agreed the saying of defense wins championships
                    cuz it sure lost us a playoff spot haha

ball don’t lie the d sucks
                    bottom of the league made the offense carry the whole team ( which itself was carried by Herbert :/)

think about it the other team has easier game plan
                    On their offensive side: won’t take much to beat that charger defense
                    on their defensive side: if we have the ball last we win

Our weak d makes our offense one dimensional

let’s start the dream of a championship caliber defecwnse

both personal and scheme side

Comment

• jox g
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Brian Flores - HC!
                      Staley to DC/Asst HC
                      Lombardi stays as OC

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                        • Sep 2018
                        • JoJa
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        Haven’t rechecked the stats, but I think our D improved significantly the second half of the season, maybe middle of the pack? Not saying that to not make changes, but we replace Tillery’s and Murray’s snaps with ??? better players, that would be huge, just those two pieces.

And if we keep the O intact, those drive-killing drops better stop (they won’t, Herbert gets pressured, throws a bit too soon or off, the ball goes clang…need a new right side,Aboushi back and ???).

That is a very true statement right there. I would agree except for the Dallas game personally. Anyway our needs were glaringly pointed out by the Raiders for all to see. Storm is not a starter. Fix that OT spot and get some fresh guards/OT to fill the depth chart. On D it runs right through the middle. DT's, LB's with speed and the ability to react and tackle......and Corner......woe is me......Harris and Davis truly stink. We need to infuse 1 - 2 FA's and another 1 - 2 via the draft to build actual depth with talent. I mean, Kemon Hall just ain't all that nor a bag of chips. Safety could use a boost but maybe that's Webb if he stays healthy next year.

We have quite a few late round picks that we can use to bring in hungry guys to compete.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                          • Sep 2018
                          • JoJa
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
                          Brian Flores - HC!
                          Staley to DC/Asst HC
                          Lombardi stays as OC
                          Why not Flores to DC? The dude was DC and won a Super Bowl.........

Comment

Working...
                          X