• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not sure the $650 million has much bearing on anything, given how long they have to pay it back. Clearly they are one of the least wealthy owners and their construction business is way down from what I hear, but with the fat checks coming in from the league and paying no rent, I have a hard time believing they are in any big financial difficulties. Sounds more like someone wants to cash out and Dean is objecting.
    This is what Florio believes as well.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

This is what Florio believes as well.
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/profoot...24-season/amp/
      Ok that article pointed out the big detail that I missed the first time about the 36% in the trust plus her 15% could give someone control of the team. I have a hard time believe Dean would ever let that happen - he'd sell his soul to come up with the money. But boy we can dream!

Comment

• Lucab12
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2020
        • Send PM

Thanks once again to Alan Paul, not to mention the amazing Book Revue in Huntington, for talking to me about Drunk On Sunday. If you haven't bought it, you ...

I am often asked how I can still root for the Chargers. For years I was asked how I could follow a team that was 3,000 miles. Now people wonder why I stand by them after moving to LA. I am asked how I'd feel if Mets moved. I can't even imagine but I know that Scott Kaplan would have nothing to say if not for Dean. Kaplan clearly felt like he could help them to stay and when they bailed took it personally

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

If the Chargers were to leave SoFi, what benefit does that give Kroenke at this point? He already spent the money on the stadium and surrounding development so aside from competing with another NFL team, I see nothing in it for him.
          he could negotiate a far richer sharing agreement than the $1 per year rent the NFL forced on him to allow his move to LA without opposition.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I can't see this as a problem for Kroenke having the Chargers remaining in Sofi. What other better AFL team would be better in LA right now given the pending Charger storm a brewin'. There must be some benefit to Kroenke that we are just not privy to for this deal.

:wtf:
            he only gets $1 year in rent from Spanos. Surely he could negotiate a far better deal with a new, richer owner taking over the Chargers, or any other team wishing to share his palace if Chargers moved.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Originally posted by SDFan View Post

he could negotiate a far richer sharing agreement than the $1 per year rent the NFL forced on him to allow his move to LA without opposition.
              The Chargers are not leaving SoFi. They have a 20 year lease plus two ten year options after that that they control. There is no reason for them to leave until at least 2057. They get to play in the best stadium for virtually nothing. They keep the revenue from their games.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDFan View Post

he only gets $1 year in rent from Spanos. Surely he could negotiate a far better deal with a new, richer owner taking over the Chargers, or any other team wishing to share his palace if Chargers moved.
                Why in the world would another owner buy the teams and think it would be a good idea to give up a lease that costs them $1 per year?
                Last edited by richpjr; 05-30-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                  Superbowl?
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Los Angeles/Chicago
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The Chargers are not leaving SoFi. They have a 20 year lease plus two ten year options after that that they control. There is no reason for them to leave until at least 2057. They get to play in the best stadium for virtually nothing. They keep the revenue from their games.
                  Wouldn't that go until 2060 since 2020 was year 1?

Also, I thought it was a 50/50 split on some of the profits.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

Wouldn't that go until 2060 since 2020 was year 1?

Also, I thought it was a 50/50 split on some of the profits.
                    I think your point is well taken. I inadvertently used the first year they were in Los Angeles.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                      Charger Fan till the end
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Carolina
                      • Send PM

It will be interesting to see how it plays out for her. If she truly is doing this for her own benefit, which to me is the most likely motivator or if there really is some real issue in managing the trust to its written intent or both. I can see there being more value to a rich investor if there is control available which drives her share price up. This to me is what shes trying to prove out here. Not sure how the NFL will play into this....they have deep pockets so could loan the money to the trust to pay out her share of 9% and possibly loan the other 3 enough for her 15% stake to pay her out completely.

in the end the NFL wants stability and Ithey want owners that want to be owners which clearly she isnt in that category. A fight for a franchise isnt in their interest. I see a loan as a real option but who knows what they could negotiate here.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Why in the world would another owner buy the teams and think it would be a good idea to give up a lease that costs them $1 per year?
                        Exactly. Unless there is a clause in the contract which voids the lease upon a change in majority owner of the chargers, there is no way in hell that would happen.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Dea agreed to league arbitration as a condition of ownership, of course.

Now, she says she was just kidding.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X