Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Good grief, I just had this discussion with someone else. Elite traits are not just measurables.

Allen and Williams both have an elite trait. Allen is a great at getting quick (separation). Williams is great at catching contested balls in the air. Guyton has elite speed. So did Johnson.

Tyrell Williams registered a vertical leap of 39.5" at 6' 4" to go along with 4.42 speed. Regarding whether or not a trait is elite, it may depend on where the line is drawn. At a minimum, the physical traits identified are very good and approaching elite if they are not elite. Drag routes running away from coverage and deep passes were effective with Tyrell Williams.

It is very early, but in watching Palmer's college video and the preseason games, I do not see any elite traits at all for him.
    Well good grief,.... those are the ones you mentioned. You're words.

And I don't care what his vert was. We know he didn't go up and fight for the ball. There is no disputing that so traits can be misleading, so you can't call them all elite til they demostrate them in games.

Gee I wonder why tape is still King?

I liked Tyrell so I don't want to bag on him. He made some plays for us.
    ​​​Palmer as far as I'm concerned is wait and see. They liked something about him.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 09-04-2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That's pretty funny actually :chuckle:

Keenan,. ..not fast. Possible HOF'er.
      Tyron,....fast, and still bouncing around.

Tyrell,. ..has said elite traits,...has one great season under his belt. Actually his leaping is not an elite trait. He rarely went up for the ball like MW. Fighting for the ball is not his forte

I have btw never hyped Palmer as I didn't know much about him and he wasn't on my radar but at least I'm gonna give him a chance.
      High pointing a football is about timing, spatial awareness, hand eye coordination & vertical leap.

Tyrell lacked most of these attributes.

Below the waist, he was tremendous....elite traits galore. Remember how spectacular his 3-cone time was?

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

why are people hating on this kid? he has done nothing wrong

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
          San Diego Native
          • Feb 2019
          • Farmington, NM
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
          I think the concern is that we drafted Palmer a couple of rounds ahead of projection with a bunch of talented players still available on the board. Could we have picked him up at 3b? 4? ... 5?

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
            I don't know. I'm waiting for the Perry Mason reveal, but I don't think you can have one without at least a few real NFL football games.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

I think the concern is that we drafted Palmer a couple of rounds ahead of projection with a bunch of talented players still available on the board. Could we have picked him up at 3b? 4? ... 5?
              Unknown. So, why okay this game?
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• DragonIce
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2021
                • Arizona
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I don't know. I'm waiting for the Perry Mason reveal, but I don't think you can have one without at least a few real NFL football games.
                And of course a sample of a few games proves next to nothing. As with any draft pick, the "know we now the rest of the story" will only come in later years. All we'll get this year is a glimpse.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

I think Palmer will get on the field for reps just keeping our WRs fresh in packages. I hope Allen and Williams stay healthy and he is matched up on the 3rd or 4th db where he can develop and get his opportunities. Id expect 2-4 grabs a game for the shorter routes for 1st downs. I think expecting much more depends on our health and how much our new offense spreads the ball around. For this year assuming hes not “starting” 400 yards would be a good solid year for Palmer. If he keeps the chains moving and is the 2nd short/mid route runner behind Allen he will get balls thrown his way…to me thats where he will contribute to success. TOP is too important and to me he is primarily a strength to drive that. He does his role there and I call that a success.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

If TT was on the witness stand doing the classic Perry Mason reveal, it would sound something like this:

MASON: Mr. Telesco, on the night on April 30, you were in the Chargers war room. With the 77th overall pick, in the third round, you chose Joshua Palmer, a relatively unknown wide receiver from Tenessee, projected as a fifth or fourth rounder at best. What was going through your mind? Why did you make this unusual choice?

TT: I know Divine Deablo and Trey Sermon were still on the board. And Golston and Molden. It was especially tough passing on Tommy Tremble, since he's a Golden Domer. But we really needed a wideout to groom and have in place for when Mike Will and us parted ways after the 2021 season. Look, we just had paid bank to extend both Bosa and Keenan. You can't pay top dollar to everyone, and we got word that Mike's agent would be looking for KA-type money. We had drafted both Reed and Hill last year. Hoped at least one of them would be the answer at wideout. Well, neither one of them stepped up. They're still both second-rate. Yes, I DID IT! I PULLED THE TRIGGER on the Palmer pick! I CONFESS I DID IT! And I'D DO IT AGAIN! So THERE! Go ahead and knock me all you want in the newspapers and on your forums! But to my dying day, people will know that TOMMY TELESCO WENT DOWN SWINGING!
                    Last edited by Topcat; 09-05-2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Bolt-O commented
                      Editing a comment
                      lol
                  • powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

It wasn't an immediate need and Telesco has always done well when just going after bpa.
                    Chargers recently have squandered some excellent receiver classes by waiting until it was too late.

My comp for Palmer has always been Davonte Adams:

DAVONTE ADAM'S NFL COMBINE:

HEIGHT
                    WEIGHT
                    ARMS
                    6' 1"
                    212 lbs
                    32 5/8"
                    HANDS
                    9"

40 Yard Dash
                    Bench Press
                    Vertical Jump
                    Broad Jump
                    3 Cone Drill
                    20 Yd Shuttle

Wait until year 2-3 for Palmer to come on.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                      I think Palmer will get on the field for reps just keeping our WRs fresh in packages. I hope Allen and Williams stay healthy and he is matched up on the 3rd or 4th db where he can develop and get his opportunities. Id expect 2-4 grabs a game for the shorter routes for 1st downs. I think expecting much more depends on our health and how much our new offense spreads the ball around. For this year assuming hes not “starting” 400 yards would be a good solid year for Palmer. If he keeps the chains moving and is the 2nd short/mid route runner behind Allen he will get balls thrown his way…to me thats where he will contribute to success. TOP is too important and to me he is primarily a strength to drive that. He does his role there and I call that a success.
                      With only 5 WR (and one of those being Hill) and Williams penchant for always getting hurt or banged up due to way he plays, I'm expecting Palmer will get a lot of snaps this year.

The reality is we have zero idea how the team will use him since they have so carefully kept everything under wraps and we haven't seen him catch passes from Herbert.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                        It wasn't an immediate need and Telesco has always done well when just going after bpa.
                        Chargers recently have squandered some excellent receiver classes by waiting until it was too late.

My comp for Palmer has always been Davonte Adams:

DAVONTE ADAM'S NFL COMBINE:

HEIGHT
                        WEIGHT
                        ARMS
                        6' 1"
                        212 lbs
                        32 5/8"
                        HANDS
                        9"

40 Yard Dash
                        Bench Press
                        Vertical Jump
                        Broad Jump
                        3 Cone Drill
                        20 Yd Shuttle

Wait until year 2-3 for Palmer to come on.
                        Adams...not a bad comp for Palmer...hope yer right...

Comment

Working...
                        X