Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Good grief, I just had this discussion with someone else. Elite traits are not just measurables.

Allen and Williams both have an elite trait. Allen is a great at getting quick (separation). Williams is great at catching contested balls in the air. Guyton has elite speed. So did Johnson.

Tyrell Williams registered a vertical leap of 39.5" at 6' 4" to go along with 4.42 speed. Regarding whether or not a trait is elite, it may depend on where the line is drawn. At a minimum, the physical traits identified are very good and approaching elite if they are not elite. Drag routes running away from coverage and deep passes were effective with Tyrell Williams.

It is very early, but in watching Palmer's college video and the preseason games, I do not see any elite traits at all for him.
    You haven’t even seen Palmer play against starting NFL DBs. He got separation against the guys they put on the field. In tight areas. Unlike TBill, he ran the plays that coaches called. Now to please you, he doesn’t just have to show he should be on a roster, he has to “live up to all the hype” - of a 3rd round pick? He wasn’t taken #1 in the draft, chill the false expectations game that if he is not HOF the first 4 games, he’s a fail.

Terrell Williams took YEARS to have any value. His first two years he was constantly standing with his dick in his hand and watching DBs either break it up or take it from him. He had one decent year in a second-tier role, the Raiders foolishly thought he was actually elite, and he completely flamed out when given the chance. TBill has been on, what, 5 teams? We will see what he does in JAX to earn your honors because he did not do enough here to earn the accolades you have awarded. He was WR4 who caught, what, 20 balls? BFD, get over it. If WR4 is the hinge the season pivots on, we are doomed anyway.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

:deadhorse:

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

I thought Charger Freak was a big pain but I think we have one that's just as big a pain in this forum. I guess every forum is bound to have one.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          I thought Charger Freak was a big pain but I think we have one that's just as big a pain in this forum. I guess every forum is bound to have one.
          At least Crusher isn't proclaiming himself "emperor" like Freak and demanding we all bow to him...

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

Cmon man Freak cracks me up over at the other spot.Dude is at least original.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
              If he is the same then ,. Eh. But then I also don't go to the other spot. Those that stayed there, we are better off here.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

So was Hitler

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You haven’t even seen Palmer play against starting NFL DBs. He got separation against the guys they put on the field. In tight areas. Unlike TBill, he ran the plays that coaches called. Now to please you, he doesn’t just have to show he should be on a roster, he has to “live up to all the hype” - of a 3rd round pick? He wasn’t taken #1 in the draft, chill the false expectations game that if he is not HOF the first 4 games, he’s a fail.

Terrell Williams took YEARS to have any value. His first two years he was constantly standing with his dick in his hand and watching DBs either break it up or take it from him. He had one decent year in a second-tier role, the Raiders foolishly thought he was actually elite, and he completely flamed out when given the chance. TBill has been on, what, 5 teams? We will see what he does in JAX to earn your honors because he did not do enough here to earn the accolades you have awarded. He was WR4 who caught, what, 20 balls? BFD, get over it. If WR4 is the hinge the season pivots on, we are doomed anyway.
                  First, the numbers of teams that Johnson has played for is 100% irrelevant to the discussion. What is relevant is that when Johnson was finally given the chance to see the field for an NFL team, he kicked ass. Johnson was the best WR on the team when it came to receptions versus targets despite having a huge yards per reception average, which is often inversely proportional to receptions per target as longer passes carry a lower completion percentage. He was the second best receiver on the team in terms of PFF grade. Why does the team want to take years to develop Palmer when they already had the goods in Johnson?

Second, Palmer has done absolutely nothing so far. Running 4 yards and turning around against soft coverage means jack. He has struggled mightily to gain separation. It is his single worst trait, so I have no idea where all this nonsense about him getting good separation is coming from, but it is not true. The most meaningful play Palmer made all preseason is his dropped pass because that showed that his hands are nowhere close to some of the nonsense that has been posted about his hands.

Third, Palmer lacks top end traits. We will see what he looks like on the field very soon, but I have seen nothing from this preseason that leads me to believe that he is going to justify where he was picked, which most pundits believe was a big reach. Palmer did not flash at all. Sure, the sample size is small, but he has done nothing to indicate that he is better than either Guyton or Johnson.

Finally, what you are missing is that those 20 receptions came on only 26 targets and resulted in 396 yards for a 19.9 yards per catch average and a 78.4 PFF grade. That PFF grade was 3rd among all offensive players that played at least 20% of the snaps behind only Allen and Herbert, and better than the PFF numbers of Mike Williams and Ekeler. This is the profile of a player that should be kept and used more, not cut. Cutting him represents a significant mistake.

Comment

• JAFA
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Apparently the coaching staff disagrees with your assessment.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by JAFA View Post
                      Apparently the coaching staff disagrees with your assessment.
                      That’s the funny thing - the people who see what he has done and how he fits in with what they want to do cut him.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

That’s the funny thing - the people who see what he has done and how he fits in with what they want to do cut him.
                        thats the troubling part

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

thats the troubling part
                          Or encouraging as he’s not on our team.

Comment

Working...
                          X