Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If Palmer never turns into a solid NFL 2nd receiver, the pick was a poor choice by Telesco,
    considering their needs at the time on the offensive line and at corner, and who was available.

I would not bet on Palmer developing into a solid #2 WR. It is already obvious that he will never be as good as either Allen or Mike Williams. He lacks Allen's quick get off and moves; he lacks Williams' contested catch ability; and he lacks Guyton's elite speed. He has average speed, but below average moves. Most pundits had Palmer rated as a late round 4, early round 5 guy. And honestly, he is a solid reserve, so I could buy him as a legit round 4 guy. But yeah, we reached when we picked him, notwithstanding the statistical bump he should get playing with Herbert in a pass heavy offense.

If Allen or Williams leaves, we really need to draft a legitimate replacement for those guys, which means using a first round pick, especially where we are likely to be drafting, not relying on Palmer to fill shoes that are just too big for him to fill. The goal is to make the team better with player transactions, not make the team worse. Palmer can be kept as a competent reserve until we have a luxury pick to replace him with an upgrade. Given our needs at RT, DL and ILB, I do not see that happening in anytime soon.

Comment

• kgbpasha
      #болтап
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Josh Palmer's ROOKIE season behind two star wide receivers while splitting time with Guyton:

33 receptions
      353 yards
      4 touchdowns

With a star quarterback throwing ropes, Palmer's numbers will get better in ONLY his second year.
      Year 3 any doubters and haters (we know who they are) will still be doubting and hating but it will
      just sound completely hilarious.

#boltup

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

How did he do with Herbert? That is all that matters. We do not need to guess at what he would do with Herbert. We already know.

He was awesome when paired with Herbert. 20 catches on 26 targets for 398 yards, 19.9 yards per reception, 3 TDs, 76.9% catch percentage (best among all WRs on the team by 8.9%), 15.3 yards per target (best on the team, nobody else was in double figures among all receivers at any position), NFL leading passer rating produced when targeted (156.7) among qualifying players.

That is elite, best on the team quality in a limited opportunity. There is no cherry picking. His quality of production was pretty much great across the board in the role he brought in to play as a reserve player. Palmer's quality of production will never be as good as Johnson's was in 2020.
        And despite all of your spin on this, somehow the Chargers had more passing yards for a higher average and scored more points without Johnson than with him. Kind of makes one wonder how this could even be possible...

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Palmer has the ability of a solid reserve WR, nothing more. He has no elite traits. There is a reason why he was rated as a round 4/5 player by most pundits entering the NFL draft.
          Tyron Johnson was rated as a 6th or 7th round draft prospect and went undrafted. So is draft ranking important only when you don't like a player, but not relevant when you do like a player?

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            I think you are correct, but I did see Palmer run some Allen routes/plays when Allen was out sick. In fact, Palmer scored on one of them!

TG
            I really like the way he can accelerate while turning upfield, especially to his left after a short out to the right. Had a couple plays last year where he outran the angle from the defender.

Comment

• PR#1
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

I would not bet on Palmer developing into a solid #2 WR. It is already obvious that he will never be as good as either Allen or Mike Williams. He lacks Allen's quick get off and moves; he lacks Williams' contested catch ability; and he lacks Guyton's elite speed. He has average speed, but below average moves. Most pundits had Palmer rated as a late round 4, early round 5 guy. And honestly, he is a solid reserve, so I could buy him as a legit round 4 guy. But yeah, we reached when we picked him, notwithstanding the statistical bump he should get playing with Herbert in a pass heavy offense.

If Allen or Williams leaves, we really need to draft a legitimate replacement for those guys, which means using a first round pick, especially where we are likely to be drafting, not relying on Palmer to fill shoes that are just too big for him to fill. The goal is to make the team better with player transactions, not make the team worse. Palmer can be kept as a competent reserve until we have a luxury pick to replace him with an upgrade. Given our needs at RT, DL and ILB, I do not see that happening in anytime soon.
              In a certain sense, I agree with you.

He was drafted in the 3rd round so his floor is probably a solid reserve. His ceiling is probably a solid #3 WR.

If we drafted a solid #2 or #3 in the 3rd round, that is an outstanding pick and TT knocked it out of the park.

If he becomes a solid reserve, that means its still a good pick value wise for the 3rd round.

But to compare him directly to Williams or Keenan is a bit unfair. Williams was #6 overall and Keenan was a first round talent all the way. He only fell to the 3rd because of the ACL Injury.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

Yeah pretty soon here we need to pull the trigger on a big time 1st round wr for Herbert.Allen is great but he aint gettin younger.This draft or next I would be stoked to nab a future super star receiver for Herb to connect with.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                  Yeah pretty soon here we need to pull the trigger on a big time 1st round wr for Herbert.Allen is great but he aint gettin younger.This draft or next I would be stoked to nab a future super star receiver for Herb to connect with.
                  Adding a quality rookie talent at WR? Yes!
                  1st rd - eh. Intelligent, works hard, yep.
                  Sub 4.5, 6-2 to 4, long arms, strong hands, has some of that KA magic, feet, balance, vision.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Tyron Johnson was rated as a 6th or 7th round draft prospect and went undrafted. So is draft ranking important only when you don't like a player, but not relevant when you do like a player?
                    I think this deserves a response . . . CC??

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                      agreed.
                      I have a feeling that if Jameson were available, he woulda been the pick.
                      When Herbert starts hurting the cap, he will be asked to truly carry the team as we shed off some big contracts on both sides of the ball.
                      at which point we will have drafted, cheap, explosive weapons.
                      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Watching the final 4rth quarter and OT in the Charger's season against Oakland, I keep on encountering Guyton running another crappy out pattern & gaining no separation.

Watch at the 14:20 mark here: the corner sure isn't respecting his 'elite' speed and he fails to make a catch Palmer makes in his sleep.
                        There were at least 3 like this...unacceptable!

The Los Angeles Chargers take on the Las Vegas Raiders during Week 18 of the 2021 NFL season.Subscribe to NFL: http://j.mp/1L0bVBuCheck out our other channel...

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                          Watching the final 4rth quarter and OT in the Charger's season against Oakland, I keep on encountering Guyton running another crappy out pattern & gaining no separation.

Watch at the 14:20 mark here: the corner sure isn't respecting his 'elite' speed and he fails to make a catch Palmer makes in his sleep.
                          There were at least 3 like this...unacceptable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCwMsSS-CIk
                          I’m sure it was somebody else’s fault, likely Herbert’s. Mr. Elite is, well, elite. It’s why he battling a younger guy for 3rd WR, lol - which is incorrect to say as Palmer is the uncontested #3 WR, after just one season, in everyone’s mind save one.

Comment

Working...
                          X